Gymnation on Instagram

Pseudonym

Hey guys, I want to expand the Gymnation community on Instagram. Hopefully gain some new members, and reconnect with some old ones.

I'd like to get people showing us how they're training, and posting their best lifts and/or poses. We'll give away some of our NZ Muscle prizes as an incentive - perhaps a $100 voucher each week until the end of March.

We'll also publish these in a special "What we're up to" section on the Gymnation front page so everyone can see them.

But it's the mechanics of this that I want your advice on. Here's what I'm thinking...

- People should tag us in the post, so it appears in the "Photos of You" section on our Instagram profile. We may also use this as the feed for the Gymnation front page - or is it better to use a hashtag for this like #GymnationNZ?

- Posts should also include a special hashtag for the giveaway like #GymnationGains

- Should we encourage people to tag others?

What do you reckon? Is there anything else we should have/not have/do differently?

definitely encourage people to tag others

in the new user form on this forum  is there a field that asks how they found the site? give a 'promo code' they can enter when they sign up, so you can track people came in through that initiative and their engagement levels over the next few months on forum / return on investment?

47 minutes ago, Bruce Al said:

Not on instagram and most likely will never sign up.

#

Shiet im not even on Facebook! let alone Instagram blows me away how many people are into that crap! who the f*ck cares what other people are doing in there lives?

Im over 40 so i suppose I'm not up to date with it all and half the people who are in to it are probably just children in there 20s?? Maybe I'm wrong?and just need to get on board!

I don't use it either other than that time I was catfishing gymrat and he revealed all that weird shit about himself. Beyond this scope it is of little interest to me.

While I'm not a fan of it (I find it quite sickening) it is relatively popular, however I struggle to see how you will use it to draw people to this website.

Sounds pretty standard bro~ I'm about to turn 40 but I love insta, more than FB as you don't have to type as much or keep up with as much junk haha!

Hash tagging Gymnation would be good and after a while it would have a decent sized tag associated with it. When you do give aways you can set up a custom hash and tell people to tag 5 friends and post the hash tag - to be eligdable to win you must be following the page so that those 5 friends then all ( ideally ) follow, tag, hash it up.

That's about my 2 cents. Good luck!

Cheers guys. Yeah, I understand that Instagram's not for everyone (on my personal IG account I've posted a whopping total of 1 pic) but it's just another avenue for us to be discovered. I think we can also use the same hashtags for YouTube videos as well, so those of you who prefer to upload your workouts, etc, to YouTube should also be included in the front page feed. I'm not sure whether Facebook also supports hashtag feed in the same way, but we'll soon find out.

Ultimately, I'd like the forum to automatically embed these hashtagged posts into people's journals for them. That means a journal could become a sort of automatic archive of your training pics/vids, to which you can then add as much or as little extra info as you like. But that's stage two. ;-) 

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Cheers guys. Yeah, I understand that Instagram's not for everyone (on my personal IG account I've posted a whopping total of 1 pic) but it's just another avenue for us to be discovered. I think we can also use the same hashtags for YouTube videos as well, so those of you who prefer to upload your workouts, etc, to YouTube should also be included in the front page feed. I'm not sure whether Facebook also supports hashtag feed in the same way, but we'll soon find out.

Ultimately, I'd like the forum to automatically embed these hashtagged posts into people's journals for them. That means a journal could become a sort of automatic archive of your training pics/vids, to which you can then add as much or as little extra info as you like. But that's stage two. ;-) 

The problem with that which I can see is that people will only use those hashtags if they use the forum already or to win a prize or whatever but then they probably won't even look at the forum unless necessary to do so to claim a prize. Then wont stay. Happened with virtually every recent competition. Sure sometimes the same people turn up again to get something else for free but then don't hear from them until that next giveaway.

I don't really think giveaways are the answer in attracting new contributing members unless you can somehow make it different. f*ck knows how.

Is your goal of this to grow the forum itself by attracting new members via instagram or to build up a parallel "gymnation community" on instagram? Or something else?

Basically you need content rather than prizes imo. 

PS I thought your old instagram account was very tasteful

On 2/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, kiwicannon said:

Shiet im not even on Facebook! let alone Instagram blows me away how many people are into that crap! who the f*ck cares what other people are doing in there lives?

Im over 40 so i suppose I'm not up to date with it all and half the people who are in to it are probably just children in there 20s?? Maybe I'm ng?and just need to get on board!

You'll laugh when I tell you they all buy their followers. Like pay actual money lol. 

i like ig for the fact it's separate to FB. I just have my ig full of peoples lifting and fitness that I'm interested in following and seeing. And I post my own on there for people who are interested in it that don't know about my journal on this forum or don't want to go onto the forum.

With fb I don't post any lifting on there, I removed almost every powerlifter bar the few who I have regular conversation that I knew from there cause I got sick of seeing the same thing posted on FB that I just saw on ig posted by the same person and missing out on things that I want to see on FB. 

Sounds like a good idea, nothing to lose.

On 2/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, kiwicannon said:

Im over 40 so i suppose I'm not up to date with it all and half the people who are in to it are probably just children in there 20s?? Maybe I'm wrong?and just need to get on board!

i fell ya, in my 20s and i don't have Facebook. don't give a shit tbh 

On 2/12/2017 at 8:58 PM, PETN said:

I don't use it either other than that time I was catfishing gymrat and he revealed all that weird shit about himself. Beyond this scope it is of little interest to me.

While I'm not a fan of it (I find it quite sickening) it is relatively popular, however I struggle to see how you will use it to draw people to this website.

lmao, can you dish some shit on this gymrat guy? I was reading old posts once and loling at all the shit he got on here.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ratz99 said:

LOL great read. Also found him posting on another site in 2014 about being picked on here at gymnation too. Also claims he was cyber bullied on his facebook page. Fuckn gold

http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forums/topic/19453-azide/

Go on the instagram and read the comments lol. Some pics and their comments were deleted I'm pretty sure as were nsfw.

@Pseudonym maybe set it up so people who want to share content can direct message the account  then the gymnation account posts the content and can credit the original poster. That way you control what is or isnt displayed on your account page and contributors who want to remain anonymous can. However # tagging will still be available. Just thinking about it this way as you can still moderate it with similar rules here and stril drive traffic to this site

OK, so we now have an Instagram plugin on the site... finally! (Thought I could do it in a weekend... took a month of work - story of my life... :-p)

Anyway, it's finally up and running, so get hashtagging (#GymnationNZ) and we'll start giving away some prizes! Let's turn this place around!

@Biggerbythedaynz - we do have moderating functions built into this plugin (partly why it took so long to get working). People can direct message us if they really want to stay anonymous, and we will be regramming other people's posts too.