New here want to bulk up hard

Scrawnyinked123

Hey all just looking to get some advice. I have been going to the gym now for about 8 months but ive only put on a little over 4kg of muscle ive changed my diet i only eat tuna and lean chicken lots of rice and pasta i dont do takeaways. Im currently intaking 3200 calories a day and it's frustrating the crap out of me that i can put on any more weight. A friend of mine has suggested low doses of steroids to give that extra lil boost to kick it all off. Im sitting at 68kgs and im 5ft10 is there any recommendations on whats best to use and how to use etc etc any help is much appreciated. Cheers!

Im 25 no sports. Go to gym 4 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. Quads and hammys day 1, chest and traps day 2, rest day, arms and back day 4, shoulders and calves day 5 then rest day from gym on day 6 &7 i do 1 hour cardio every day bar day 7. Push ups every day bar day 7. Doing small sets of heavy weight avg 15-20 reps each set generally 50% of my weight for first set then 70% then 90%. all my food is weighed and then i use a calorie counter app on my fone. Im pretty ocd with meals i eat 7 times a days as well as 2 protein shakes a day(also factored into the calorie count)

3 hours ago, Chaosinflesh said:

How old are you? Do you play sports? What is your training like - are you pumping some heavy weights (always relative), or huge sets? How do you know how many calories you are consuming (guesstimate, or fastidious recording of meals/snacks)?

Im 25 no sports. Go to gym 4 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. Quads and hammys day 1, chest and traps day 2, rest day, arms and back day 4, shoulders and calves day 5 then rest day from gym on day 6 &7 i do 1 hour cardio every day bar day 7. Push ups every day bar day 7. Doing small sets of heavy weight avg 15-20 reps each set generally 50% of my weight for first set then 70% then 90%. all my food is weighed and then i use a calorie counter app on my fone. Im pretty ocd with meals i eat 7 times a days as well as 2 protein shakes a day(also factored into the calorie count)

Ok. That training regiment looks very familiar... Mike Metzer style I think... though he used to recommend more rest between workouts (2-3 days). Also that's a lot of cardio. 

Do you mean small number of sets? 15-20 isn't normally considered a small set. And are those % of Bodyweight or 1RM?

Disclaimer: I'm not a trainer, just curious as I was once in your shoes... with the one exception that I didn't stall. I went from 62kg to 76kg pretty evenly, but it took approx. 2 years, and I pushed max weights the whole time (I didn't know any thing about programming, just had some old book from the 80s).

2 hours ago, Scrawnyinked123 said:

all my food is weighed and then i use a calorie counter app on my fone. Im pretty ocd with meals i eat 7 times a days

Mate, that is awesome! Well done - that's going to make things a lot easier.

Can you post up the food for a typical day? It'll be interesting to see what you're eating. I'm sure we can get you past 68kg on diet alone.

Welcome, BTW. :-) 

• 2 weeks later...