2017...what PT courses are recommended?

urbano

I know there isn't a 'best' course so thought I'd seek opinions on the current courses and how people view them.

Other than finding the course sites themselves I haven't actually come across any other place than this site that actually mentions PT courses in NZ.

FWIW Im about half way through the  process of completing a sports and exercise degree. However when I look at PT jobs they often as for you to be Reps registered to a certain level. I thought doing a PT course while still at uni may put me in a position to PT while still studying at uni.

also is PT a protected title ?  or can cowboys just jump up and call themselves a trainer and then train people ...(seems somewhat alarming if that is possible)

It's more the hoop you have to jump through at some places where they want you to be  Reps registered to the PT level.

here's an example from Trade Me - REPs registered to Personal Trainer (employee) or be able to get REPS registered.

the other thing Im trying to suss out is what way to go about getting experience prior to finishing my studies so I at least have some real world experience.

I don't work in that "industry" however I would have thought that your degree would transcend any of those bullshit few week/online courses, and that the jobs you're seeing advertised are requiring that as a minimum.

If you want real world experience then get a proper job where you do something useful rather than standing round in a park mornings and evenings coaching some lazy fatasses who would rather pay someone to get them to exercise than simply go do it themselves (reason they are fat to begin with). That's what everyone I know who works as a pt ends up doing predominantly as its where the money is.

55 minutes ago, PETN said:

I don't work in that "industry" however I would have thought that your degree would transcend any of those bullshit few week/online courses, and that the jobs you're seeing advertised are requiring that as a minimum.

Thanks for your input PETN, the more perspectives I get the better. My initial impressions are some places stand by this Reps registration and closer inspection of the Reps levels of registration reveal that they are very specific about what you can and cant do.

55 minutes ago, PETN said:

If you want real world experience then get a proper job where you do something useful rather than standing round in a park mornings and evenings coaching some lazy fatasses who would rather pay someone to get them to exercise than simply go do it themselves (reason they are fat to begin with). That's what everyone I know who works as a pt ends up doing predominantly as its where the money is.

Proper job ? do you still mean something in the fitness industry or something totally different ? I definitely don think it's something  I'd be doing for the $$$. Was looking for a way to get real worl experience workign with athletic population...

Becomes a catch 22 if you havent trained anyone. They may not want to be coached by anyone who has not  coached before and therefore the coach cant get the experience. ...bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

I meant a job in your field relevant to your degree (if that's what interests you, which I'm assuming it does if you studied it) which isn't a gYm PT. 

Maybe you just want to PT while at uni or something which would be good for extra coin, but I personally wouldn't try make a career out of it as you'll just end up having to motivate lazy fat cunts and listen to constant complaining and have them blame you for them not losing weight because they secretly binge on shit food.

People that get results don't use PTs or they use PTs that are themselves elite (or close to it) in their sport. They don't usually use guys that have done some garbage online course and looks like shit or lifts f*ck all and claims to be a strength coach.

Just my opinion though from my own observations and from what mates who PT have said. If you really wanna be a PT ignore it.

If you are doing a degree then you should be able to find a job somewhere that doesn't require REPS rego.. I've been in the industry for 4 years now and have never once been REPS REGISTERED. I have a similar degree and was working in the industry building my business whilst studying. I've been self employed though since 2012 and finished my degree in late 2014

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2017 at 7:59 PM, urbano said:

I know there isn't a 'best' course so thought I'd seek opinions on the current courses and how people view them.

Other than finding the course sites themselves I haven't actually come across any other place than this site that actually mentions PT courses in NZ.

FWIW Im about half way through the  process of completing a sports and exercise degree. However when I look at PT jobs they often as for you to be Reps registered to a certain level. I thought doing a PT course while still at uni may put me in a position to PT while still studying at uni.

also is PT a protected title ?  or can cowboys just jump up and call themselves a trainer and then train people ...(seems somewhat alarming if that is possible)

Here is our course https://exerciseacademy.co.nz/courses/new-zealand-certificate-in-exercise but a full list of REPs Qualifications can be accessed via: http://www.reps.org.nz/education-2/education/