Marijuana and working out?

Supbrah

Not entirely scientific but lots of good points there, many of which are pretty self explanatory. Check out this article :  https://www.t-nation.com/training/lifters-guide-to-marijuana

A-Lifters-Guide-to-Marijuana.jpg?1416339

1. Decreases reaction time
  2. Interrupts concentration
  3. Disrupts hand-eye coordination
  4. Reduces exercise capacity and time to exhaustion.

These effects have been shown to last up to 36 hours after usage.

1. Use of marijuana has little to no benefit for lifters and dieters, but occasional recreational usage is probably not that big of a deal.
  1. Pot interrupts mTOR, lowers testosterone, and raises cortisol, but these effects are short term.

17 hours ago, Supbrah said:

I have a few friends who smoke after they work out and I was wondering if that has any negative effects, not interested in smoking anything but just curious if many people do it. I guess you can consider weed a prescription medication these days so I posted here 

There is alleged to be some muscle relaxant properties, also can negate DOMS.. 

THC is stored in fat cells and can be released in response to exercise, more so in persons of higher BF% and regular users.. 

Apart from the obvious negative effects of chronic use to pulmonary system, I can't dig up anything particularly bad post exercise...

1 hour ago, Daz69 said:

There is alleged to be some muscle relaxant properties, also can negate DOMS.. 

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I wondered if it might lower cortisol levels, and/or reduce the hormonal triggers for growth that are produced by muscles under stress?

ive smoked before and after,not good before workout for me,made me a lazy f*ck lol,and after made me a lazy f*ck to haha.thats just me though i dont smoke anymore.I just stop smoking cigarettes to, definitely not good before a workout,for me anyway.And a waste off dollars.

I find it easier to have a nap after smoking weed due to back pumps. It topples zopiclone and most sleeping pills due to its relatively quick onset and lower side effects. Potentially faster recovery due to munchies, deeper sleep and maybe lower cortisol levels.

I have indulged in a stoned workout but I mostly just did machines and dumbbell related workouts because I want to avoid snapcity/bench asphyxiation :-D

The gym played a song with sirens and I tried to run away but I was on a treadmill lol.

Thats why i thought i would smoke a big joint after workout,coz i thought i would get the munchies and be able to take in more calories  .hahaha but when i got the munchies i dont wanna eat fucken tuna and rice or kumara haha.fucken yuck coz my mouth gets dry as a nuns c*nt when i smoke.anyway i just end up eating so much shit food lol. so yeah it didnt work for me.But if you can eat clean when your high it be good.Thats one thing i did like about it i did have mean sleeps.

I Find the euphoria / hunger / sleep after a good workout to be sufficient by itself. Probably one downside if you do it often after a workout will be that you no longer feel satisfied after a workout in the long run, which is one of the benefits of lifting  I suppose. Dont know about the psysiological effects dont really see how its a big deal either way in that aspect.

I think daz posted a while ago about even moderate alcohol consumption reducing protein synthesis / muscle growth or whatever after a workout, that seems worse imo.

Before a workout isn't the best. Sometimes 2 hours or so after a smoke is OK, if energy levels up. But still not ideal. I usually smoke in the evenings but if I workout a bit later until around 7pm for example I found I don't feel like getting baked.  I've never really thought there would be much of a benefit to smoking.  other than relaxing