NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
LipstixandIron

Thyroid doctor auckland/northland

Morning ladies I'm looking  for a thyroid doctor who understands  sports related issues and does full panel not just free tsh.

I've banged my head against  a wall over the last couple of years despite  having other symptoms and GP only doing the basic and insisting that's ok and all that's needed. Thanks 

14 minutes ago, LipstixandIron said:

Morning ladies I'm looking  for a thyroid doctor who understands  sports related issues and does full panel not just free tsh.

I've banged my head against  a wall over the last couple of years despite  having other symptoms and GP only doing the basic and insisting that's ok and all that's needed. Thanks 

If your GP insists that it is fine it likely is. 

If in doubt get your own blood tests done then report the results to your GP or nurse. 

The values you want to test for are:

• TSH
  • Total T4
  • Free T4
  • Total T3
  • Free T3
  • TBG
  • TPOAb
  • TRAb 
  • TSI

Testing some of these maybe unnecessary but will give a full picture or your thyroids health.

I friend has a hyperactive thyroid and undergoing surgery to remove it... 

Whats your resting heart rate and blood pressure this can also indicate where a thyroid is overactive. 

What do you mean by sports related issues? 

35 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

If your GP insists that it is fine it likely is. 

If in doubt get your own blood tests done then report the results to your GP or nurse. 

The values you want to test for are:

• TSH
  • Total T4
  • Free T4
  • Total T3
  • Free T3
  • TBG
  • TPOAb
  • TRAb 
  • TSI

Testing some of these maybe unnecessary but will give a full picture or your thyroids health.

I friend has a hyperactive thyroid and undergoing surgery to remove it... 

Whats your resting heart rate and blood pressure this can also indicate where a thyroid is overactive. 

What do you mean by sports related issues? 

Can you just walk into lab tests and have your own bloods done? or where do you go and what would it cost?

On 16/01/2017 at 8:21 AM, LipstixandIron said:

a thyroid doctor who understands  sports related issues

I suspect these are two different doctors... a thyroid doc is an endocrinologist, and a sports doc probably won't be a thyroid expert.

I think your best bet is to either conduct your own tests as per Jimmybro's suggestion, or find another GP who can give you a second opinion (and then refer you for tests). Check out the clinic's website, and look for a GP who has a sporty sounding profile.

to expand- pull up a chair ?  a year ago I lost 27kg in 6 months which resulted  in me having blue lips and being cold til 12pm accompanied  with hairloss and inability  to loose further weight went to see gp. They did general panel and free tsh which was within parameters.  I then 2 weeks later developed chronic diarea  .it went on for a year.  I had colonoscopies  which came back fine and gps said I had ibs and pretty much said see ya.  So...... I hit the net and established  thyroid down regulation gut link. I have spent  a year repairing metabolism. I now am back on track and am working  with an awesome  coach  but would like to make sure that  if thyroid id underfunctioning it not slowing progress.ie muscle building & fat burning.  I'm not going near my GP - as they simply had no inkling   pulse was 41 temp was 73    .better now - but not ideal. Thus me seeking further  advice 

12 hours ago, LipstixandIron said:

to expand- pull up a chair ?  a year ago I lost 27kg in 6 months which resulted  in me having blue lips and being cold til 12pm accompanied  with hairloss and inability  to loose further weight went to see gp. They did general panel and free tsh which was within parameters.  I then 2 weeks later developed chronic diarea  .it went on for a year.  I had colonoscopies  which came back fine and gps said I had ibs and pretty much said see ya.  So...... I hit the net and established  thyroid down regulation gut link. I have spent  a year repairing metabolism. I now am back on track and am working  with an awesome  coach  but would like to make sure that  if thyroid id underfunctioning it not slowing progress.ie muscle building & fat burning.  I'm not going near my GP - as they simply had no inkling   pulse was 41 temp was 73    .better now - but not ideal. Thus me seeking further  advice 

So your coach is wanting you to self medicate with Clenbutrol or other beta-antagonists......

I think you possible answered you own question with crashing your metabolism. Losing that much weight is significant for a year and I am not sure what dieting implications that required but poor diet leads to most if not all those symptoms you mentioned.  Lack of vitamins, minerals, proteins and essential fats.  

A pulse of 41bpm could also be considered unhealthy unless your Lance Armstrong... or did you get pulse and temperature around the wrong way.

On 19/01/2017 at 9:32 AM, jimmybro1 said:

So your coach is wanting you to self medicate with Clenbutrol or other beta-antagonists......

I think you possible answered you own question with crashing your metabolism. Losing that much weight is significant for a year and I am not sure what dieting implications that required but poor diet leads to most if not all those symptoms you mentioned.  Lack of vitamins, minerals, proteins and essential fats.  

A pulse of 41bpm could also be considered unhealthy unless your Lance Armstrong... or did you get pulse and temperature around the wrong way.

Not at all ! My coach is fantastic and natural as am i-  I'd like an accurate  snapshot of my current metabolic standing after all I've been through. But thanks for your reply anyway