PPL v BroSplit

pkgr33n

Hey all,

What do you rekon between the Push/Pull/Leg/Rest/Repeat vs The Bro Split ( Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders/Arms) ?

I've forever been doing the brosplit (5days), and maybe getting in a day or 2 of cardio also in the off days if I'm up to it.

I'm looking to maybe get into the whole PPL, but instead of the rest day do cardio/abs etc.

I've heard the PPL is best for nattys etc.

I'm currently cutting btw.

Would be interesting to hear all your thoughts!

Cheers

maccaz said he gets better results from compound lifts and same for me, though i noticed when focusing 1 part more than others via brosplit i can really bring those muscles out in a way i wasn't able to acheive in previous years of just compounds. it might just be that my muscles reacted better because having to adapt to sudden change in routine but who knows, too much science for me. stick to something for a while and stay consistent. then try something else for a significant period of time consistently that's the best way to find out whats best for your goals.

why is a traditional split referred to as a "bro split"?? its just a stupid reference - making out like its a dumb way to train or made by meat heads etc.. when all the biggest guys in the world train that way. ANYWAY! thats besides the point. the answer to your question really depends on where you are at. I think doing a PPL 2x per week would be over doing it. You could poss do P, P, rest, L, P, P rest ??? OR dp what I do at the moment - monday Quads, hams, calves / Tues chest arms . wed OFF / Thur back, hammy pump / Fri or Sat Delts, arms and calves / sunday OFF

If you're cutting what are you hoping to achieve as a natty gym goer? You're not going to build any muscle during this phase so really you should probably just do what ever you find the most fun. When you're eating over maintenance again and looking to increase size I'm all about compounds / power building for mass. I did generic BB training for ages and I sucked at it. I think it's a lot harder than people think. Making the correct contractions to stimulate the muscle properly and then eating to make it grow etc. My mass won't look like a nice BB'ers mass tho obviously so think about the look you're after. Good luck. 

On 12/01/2017 at 1:41 PM, donz said:

My mass won't look like a nice BB'ers mass tho obviously so think about the look you're after

That's an interesting point, Donz. I'd say this is more a result of the exercise selection and which muscles are being stimulated (and which are being ignored) than about the training style and whether you're focusing on muscle contractions like a bodybuilder?

Why is it some people seem to feel the need to train the same thing on the same day every week?

Surely if you wanted to do push pull legs you would just throw in the rest days you need and then train whatever was next according to your split, irrespective of which day of the week it was. 

Just seems a bit OCD to me.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, PETN said:

Why is it some people seem to feel the need to train the same thing on the same day every week?

Surely if you wanted to do push pull legs you would just throw in the rest days you need and then train whatever was next according to your split, irrespective of which day of the week it was. 

Just seems a bit OCD to me.

I guess some people like having th routine and/or can only get to the gym on certain days and that's what works best for them in relation to keeping muscles fresh etc.. ooor if the split needs to suit two people if they train together etc.  I've done both.. both ways work :)

You want frequency.. That is at least what has come out of Layne Nortons research which could be seen as somewhat reliable. Although he is tool. 

Constant stimuli has been shown to be the best approach for non enhanced individuals as they have be shown not to cope well with the recovery of high volume body split approaches "bro-split"

If you want to follow a "proven" way of training for non enhanced individuals legs/push/pull will likely be what your looking for with a hybrid of powerlifting and hypertrophy type of training i.e. squats on legs day, bench on push day and deadlifts on pull day along with the isolation work.

I enjoy this approach more than body part splits aka "bench mondays"    

On 1/17/2017 at 11:40 PM, Pseudonym said:

That's an interesting point, Donz. I'd say this is more a result of the exercise selection and which muscles are being stimulated (and which are being ignored) than about the training style and whether you're focusing on muscle contractions like a bodybuilder?

Hrmmm well "bicep curl" can be the same exercise for a bodybuilder as a power lifter but I'm not going to stand next there doing 12kg dbs squeezing slowly, holding then releasing and going full ROM - I'm going to pick up the heaviest ones I can do with "decent" form and bust out whatevers on my program - I want to make them strong and used to moving heavy weight so they don't tear on dead lifts lol~ Old mate next to me who looks amazing on the beach but is weak as shit might be going all out to get that pump look~ 

Squats are another - bodybuilders over all generally go to about para if they're lucky and then back up about 3/4 of the way pumping out heaps of reps going for that whole tension or time on muscle or whatever it's called vs a PL whos also doing squats say 5 sets of heavy doubles complete rep/rom with a reset between each one - same exercise just performed differently - 1 is stimulating the muscle to grow a lot more than the other which is teaching the body to be strong and move heavier weight 

Those are a few examples - won't go into touch and go dead lifts or touch n go bench press 

That's how I feel about it and what makes sense to me and why my mass / body shape has changed as a PL as to when I was bro-bodybuilding lol 

lol what crap. If you use your example, the bbers biceps are under complete load for the entirety of the rep. Yours are under load only for a fraction of the movement because you are using other muscles to move the Db from point a to point b. So your biceps themselves aren't necessarily stronger. You're just throwing the weights round thinking your biceps are getting stronger?

4 hours ago, donz said:

Hrmmm well "bicep curl" can be the same exercise for a bodybuilder as a power lifter but I'm not going to stand next there doing 12kg dbs squeezing slowly, holding then releasing and going full ROM - I'm going to pick up the heaviest ones I can do with "decent" form and bust out whatevers on my program - I want to make them strong and used to moving heavy weight so they don't tear on dead lifts lol~ Old mate next to me who looks amazing on the beach but is weak as shit might be going all out to get that pump look~ 

Squats are another - bodybuilders over all generally go to about para if they're lucky and then back up about 3/4 of the way pumping out heaps of reps going for that whole tension or time on muscle or whatever it's called vs a PL whos also doing squats say 5 sets of heavy doubles complete rep/rom with a reset between each one - same exercise just performed differently - 1 is stimulating the muscle to grow a lot more than the other which is teaching the body to be strong and move heavier weight 

Those are a few examples - won't go into touch and go dead lifts or touch n go bench press 

That's how I feel about it and what makes sense to me and why my mass / body shape has changed as a PL as to when I was bro-bodybuilding lol 

So a bodybuilder uses the biceps to curl from A to B whilst a PLer uses biceps plus whatever else to move the weight from A to B??? Obviously you're not referring to everyone but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this statement lol. I see what you're saying in relation to compound movements though in regards to benching with the chest verses benching with whatever it takes

When i do Db bicep curls I normally use 15 or 17.5kg Dumbbells and around 20 or 22.5 for hammer curls. I can still hold onto my deadlifts. If I use 30kg and swing it then it's not working the biceps fully so defeats the purpose of doing a bicep curl. Moving a weight through space on a curl is just dumb, it's not a row or a bench. Just my opinion.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:22 PM, jimmybro1 said:

You want frequency.. That is at least what has come out of Layne Nortons research which could be seen as somewhat reliable. Although he is tool. 

Constant stimuli has been shown to be the best approach for non enhanced individuals as they have be shown not to cope well with the recovery of high volume body split approaches "bro-split"

If you want to follow a "proven" way of training for non enhanced individuals legs/push/pull will likely be what your looking for with a hybrid of powerlifting and hypertrophy type of training i.e. squats on legs day, bench on push day and deadlifts on pull day along with the isolation work.

I enjoy this approach more than body part splits aka "bench mondays"    

You could also argue a non enhanced athlete can't handle huge amounts of volume in one session that could be the result of training 3-4 muscle groups in one session. I have personally had a lot of experience training/dieting naturally and I would say from personal preference the bro split (or whatever you want to call it) works extremely well and if your nutrition is on point recovery is not an issue. I mean you're training a muscle every 7 or so days that's heaps of time to recover and grow.

8 minutes ago, trainlikeafreak said:

You could also argue a non enhanced athlete can't handle huge amounts of volume in one session that could be the result of training 3-4 muscle groups in one session. I have personally had a lot of experience training/dieting naturally and I would say from personal preference the bro split (or whatever you want to call it) works extremely well and if your nutrition is on point recovery is not an issue. I mean you're training a muscle every 7 or so days that's heaps of time to recover and grow.

Agree. I'm a fan of the "bro split". Lots of people look for a magic new way cause too lazy to do a hard 60-90 min quad session full bore. Natty guys arent that precious that one hard 90min session every 6-7 days is gonna screw everything up for them lol.

3 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Agree. I'm a fan of the "bro split". Lots of people look for a magic new way cause too lazy to do a hard 60-90 min quad session full bore. Natty guys arent that precious that one hard 90min session every 6-7 days is gonna screw everything up for them lol.

Theres a reason why the small guys are always against the hard stuff.

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

lol what crap. If you use your example, the bbers biceps are under complete load for the entirety of the rep. Yours are under load only for a fraction of the movement because you are using other muscles to move the Db from point a to point b. So your biceps themselves aren't necessarily stronger. You're just throwing the weights round thinking your biceps are getting stronger?

Yeah pretty much. I was using an example of how a bodybuilder might train in relation to a power lifter I wasn't referring to everyone obviously lol

Heres an example of what I was trying to get at in that instance; Phil the body builder

And example B: Dennis the arm wrestler/big bench presser 

Thought I should chuck one of a 400kg dead lifter in too lmao

Hopefully videos work better than my words which obviously just made some people mad lol - As I said it was an example and I was trying to say picture a guy who might be doing seated strict bicep curls with low weight with his elbow against his leg for those slow, tedious long reps of a concentrated movement vs me who might be seated also, upright tho using 30s with a slight lean I found a vid from 2014 of me doing exactly that haha - keep in mind I've been a gym bro for about 6 years all up - first few had no idea, now i have less of no idea. I've been power lifting less than 3 years so in comparison to Tom and Freak who I think is Jordan? I'm a complete novice. I'm not a bodybuilder I'm a PL hobbiest who's normal job is an system engineer. Hopefully these examples make sense and make you both less angry sounding lol :) 

Also my lack of curl knowledge doe not attribute to my calluses tearing when I dead lifted a few years back with you Tom so chill :) 

4 minutes ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Hey hey hey your 3 years of PLing is 3 more than I've ever done lol

Hahah you've been BBing much longer than my old ass has been in a gym so in terms of building muscle I'm a novice! Im hoping my video examples showed more of what i was trrrrrrying to suggest what would be a difference in training style ( unless you're Branch Warren ) lol :P

3 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I actually only did my first powerlifting comp in August of 2014 and first strength training block for that 7 weeks previous to that. Not mad, just different opinion/misunderstood. But you explained what you meant with more detail now so I understand. 

Haha all good - sorry figured cos of the strongman stuff you'd been doing it longer + the old BB comps my bad no harm :) 

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

I actually only did my first powerlifting comp in August of 2014 and first strength training block for that 7 weeks previous to that. Not mad, just different opinion/misunderstood. But you explained what you meant with more detail now so I understand. 

Liar... I remember when you did that novice comp at the mt Albert Ymca in like 2012.. you benched 180 but it was a no lift cause you started before you were told (If I remember rightly) lol