Odd Lifts

Bigken1985

Hey just wanted to start a discussion on what Strongman/Odd lift Lifts anyone has tried. In my off season im starting to really enjoy trying different lifts and seeing what i like. Ive tried Zerchers/ Behind the back DL (hack lift). Going to try Jefferson deads tonight. Need to find some stones too now.  What other lifts are there? 

Good topic! Maybe as well as listing the exercises, tell us how you found them?

Do GHRs count as an odd lift? I highly rate them - similar to a lying hamstring curl machine, but so much more effective. I don't know how the mechanics of this work, but it feels like by using your adductors to hold yourself on the pads, that inwards squeeze also recruits the hammies better too.

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Good topic! Maybe as well as listing the exercises, tell us how you found them?

Do GHRs count as an odd lift? I highly rate them - similar to a lying hamstring curl machine, but so much more effective. I don't know how the mechanics of this work, but it feels like by using your adductors to hold yourself on the pads, that inwards squeeze also recruits the hammies better too.

I wouldn't count GHRs as an odd lift, they're fairly common especially in Powerlifting and Athletic circles.

Depending on how you perform them, the isometric hold of extending your hips, rather than being able to relax on a Leg Curl, recruits your Hamstrings well so when you then factor in the knee flexion the Hamstrings are worked at both ends.

You can get somewhat the same feel by extending your Hips on a Lying Leg Curl holding yourself up off the bench rather than relaxing down and holding the handles. The weight you can handle greatly decreases but the tension on the Hamstrings increases as you can't use your Lower Back and Glutes to help leverage it up.

Does that explain it well enough ?

old gym was mainly a strongman gym, i tried stones a bit but im a pussy and it hurt my forearms bad lol.

done a few yoke walks and stood up a heavy one i think 300 and something kg which felt ridiculously heavy on my back.

used to do a bit of log for fun after benching and did 90kg. im very crap at overhead and deadlift so would never be any good at strongman lol

• 1 month later...