NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
GyzzBrah

Actually going gym etc.

Wookie Method II (Saturday, December 24th)

Week 1

Day 1 (thursday)

Overhead Press

42.5 x 8

40 x 8

Front Squats

50 x 5

50 x 5

60kg for 3 x 3

Close Grip Bench

52.5kg for 3 x 10

Dumbell shoulder press

20 x 8

22 x 8

20 x 8

Did 5 x 10 tricep pushdowns, ez bar curls, and skullcrushers and 12 mins on the treadmill at 6kph, since gym closed tommorow so no need to factor in deadlifts since ill have plenty of rest when I do them. Yesterday did 30 mins of cardio split even between rowing machine, crosstrainer and treadmil.

All lifts major improvements from last month pretty much. But used to be able to do 50 x 8 easily so still 7.75kg's off overhead press.

1 hour ago, maccaz said:

so did u finish it once and this is the second run through? did u miss any days?

Yeah took a deload and this is second run through. Missed like a couple of days because got sick in 3rd week.

This time gonna focus on giving it 100%, completing all the assistance work, doing more stuff for arms, adding in cardio when I can. because last time didnt have any real stamina or work capacity and just focussed on getting the reps / sets for the main lifts, and got too fatigued etc

Weighing in at 74Kg's, than the 65 when I just got back from otago. Feeling healthy now, so gonna focus on eating cleaner foods instead of high density calories and trying to lean out a bit or just keep fat gain minimal.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:27 PM, GyzzBrah said:

Yeah took a deload and this is second run through. Missed like a couple of days because got sick in 3rd week.

This time gonna focus on giving it 100%, completing all the assistance work, doing more stuff for arms, adding in cardio when I can. because last time didnt have any real stamina or work capacity and just focussed on getting the reps / sets for the main lifts, and got too fatigued etc

Weighing in at 74Kg's, than the 65 when I just got back from otago. Feeling healthy now, so gonna focus on eating cleaner foods instead of high density calories and trying to lean out a bit or just keep fat gain minimal.

just bulk, get huuge and strong. bear mode gyzzz

Wookie Method II (Sunday, January First)

Week 1

May as well start again, mostly been doing cardio this week which ive gotten much better at and engaging in the festives. Gym closed on other days.

This time gonna do Chest day first, then Squats, rest, and Shoulders, Deadlifts last, same stuff just on different days to avoid tediousness.

Day 1 (Chest)

Bench

bar x little, worked on keeping good form and tightness in back.

40 x 20

60 x 5

65 x 3

75 x 1 (max set)

65 x 8

65 x 8

Seated Row

65 x 12

65 x 12

65 x 10

60 x 5

Incline Dumbells

22 x 8

24 x 10

24 x 8

24 x 5

22 x 3 lol

2015 PR was like 38kgs for like 4 or someshit to indicate progress.

Finished off with dumbell flys to stretch chest and heavy EZ bar curls for 3 x 5

Very good workout, squats tommorow then Rest.

Also happy new year!

Day 2

Squats

70kg's for 2 x 8 RPE10

(Previous Best like 90kg)

Sounds like f*ck all but was RPE10 and balls to the wall. What I learned when getting programmed with Wookie, is that anyone can do lots of sets and just go through the motions etc, but it means nothing if you arent giving it 100% on each working set / rep.

Had pause at the top for quite a bit on each rep, but focussed on good form, keeping everything tight, and just getting it done.

Dumbell Goblat squats

24kgs for 3 x 12

Hamstring Curls

1/2 Stack for 4 x 10

Soak in Sweat. 10/10 workout. Love training legs!

On 1/2/2017 at 7:36 PM, GyzzBrah said:

Sounds like f*ck all but was RPE10 and balls to the wall. What I learned when getting programmed with Wookie, is that anyone can do lots of sets and just go through the motions etc, but it means nothing if you arent giving it 100% on each working set / rep.

thats the one bro, good work! :)

Day 3

Overhead Press

40 x 3

42.5 x 8

42.5 x 7

Front Squats

50 x 5

50 x 5

70 x 3 (+10kg PR since started lifting again)

60 x 3

60 x 3

Close Grip Bench

50 x 10

60 x 10

60 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns

3 x 8

Close grip bench pretty much now at where it was, and should be able to max front squats at 90 at the end of the month, which is where it was at the strongest.

Yeah, I guess its getting annoying. Reminded me of a writing by Jim Wendler, when he says

"it dosent fucking matter what your 1RM was 3 years ago, so stop saying bullshit because your 1RM is what you can do right now at this moment"

For now, its the one thing that keeps me super motivated in the gym, because of the shame / embarassment.

What ill do from now on, is just say what my lifts were one time, and just use those numbers as my short term goal. of what I want to accomplish. Works better that way.

Goals (for next few months)

Bench = 87.5

Squat = 120

Deadlift = 170

Overhead = 67.5

Front Squat = 90

Day 4

Deadlifts

130 x 1

130 x 1

130 x 1

132.5 x 1

132.5 x 1

Taking the weight down a notch for deadlifts and focussing on just getting the reps done, because if im being honest I skipped a few days of these last month, just ego lifting and then stopping the workout in shame. Just being honest about what I did.

Progress will come when I suck it up and just do the lifts as prescribed.

Sumo Deadlifts (Straight legs)

100 x 8

100 x 8

100 x 8

Seated Rows

3 x 8

Leg Curls

3 x 10

56 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Jim wendler or not. It kind of does matter because it's a pretty damn accurate measurement of progression/regression.

agree but can be a mental f*ck to obsess on it in gyzz case

14 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Could this be the year of Gyzz gains? :-o 

That would be 2014 if I can remember, put on close to 20 - 25 Kg's when I started taking lifting very seriously.

And 2015 was alright for what it was, remember I had some issues etc and would go for weeks eating absolutley nothing but still went gym fairly consistently. And mostly in 2013 just pissed around doing dumbell curls so wouldnt count that as lifting.

2016 was a shit year but made good social progress outside the gym I guess, living on my own for the first time. Maccaz is right, we are starting from scratch now and just learn from mistakes and move on.

Sitting at a healthy weight at the moment, 74Kg's lean. I was 65 Anorexic looking when I came back, not looking on getting fat again, just eating the right foods and putting on weight slowly again, but enough food to recover obviously.

Off to a good start so far though, wish everyone good luck etc for whatever they are wanting to do this year.

Had a really good squat workout today!

Squats

60 x 3

70 x 3

80 x 1

90 x 1 (Max set, probably an RPE 9, went in only expecting 80)

80 x 5

80 x 5

80 x 4

All PR

Leg Curls

1/2 stack x 12

Did like 4 more of these dropset to failure pretty much

Leg Extension

87 x 10

3 more sets starting at 87 then dropset them

Dumbell Goblot squats

28 x 8

28 x 8

20 x 8

10/10 Dead.

And Yestetday was just average Bench workout

70 x 5

70 x 5

70 x 4

PR

Incline dumbell

etc.

5/10

Week 3

Day 2 (Legs)

Had a really good leg day today!!

Squats

60 x 5

60 x 3

70 x 3

80 x 1

90 x 1 (Was my PR last week)

100 x 1 (new 1RM PR)

85 x 5 (Rep PR)

80 x 5

80 x 5

Leg Curls

5 x 10

(Used dropsets on last few sets to get 10, and went slow on negatives.)

Goblet Squat

26 x 10

26 x 7

Leg extension

82kg for 3 x 10

Then

42 kg 2 x 8 on each leg

Goblet Squat (2nd attempt)

20 x 8

20 x 4 I cant even...

10 / 10 Dead.

Went hard to try relief stress because im really worried about this year, like getting a flat sorted in otago within the week, and what if its a shit flat etc, or I cant get anything sorted by the time semester starts, didnt make too many friends down there so will have to rely on getting a good flat but there arent very many left, and gonna be pretty much starting from scratch academically due to wasting my first year pretty much. Also I feel in a way Im starting to loose my good friends down in auckland which took me years to get, due to me nt being here enough. I can still make friends down in dunners but dont want to loose my ones in auckland. Then what if same thing happens as last year and I become social anxiety and stop eating again, and not going gym anymore like what happened last time. Was a proper fucking Skeleton looking when I came back, and its a scary thought of looking like that again.

But was good workout.

Yesterday was Bench Press Day, not as good but did 60kgs for 8 x 3 (speed work), then few sets incline dumbells, tricep pushdowns, same as ususal .

Week 3 day 3

Overhead Press

50 x 1 (need to get 55 atleast next week)

45 for 4 x 3 (speedy)

40 for 4 x 3 (speedy)

Front Squats

50 for 2 x 5

70 for 4 x 2

Close Grip Bench

60 for 4 x 6 all paused. May as well do these paused from now on since can do them for 10 easily bouncing but never seem to get higher than 60 even when I was stronger.

Tricep Pushdowns

20kgs. probably 5 sets

Got 3 replies for available flats so not moody anymore and have a bright outlook for the future again.

Week 4 (maxing lifts)

Day 1

Bench

60 for 2 x 5

70 x 1

75 x 1

80 x 1 (got 77.5 last month) - RPE 8

Felt like I could do better, so went up to 85. On the previous set, I told the spotter not to touch the bar after unracking it unless I dropped it, and he complied, so I told him to spot me again.

85 x -

As I was lifting the bar, I slowed down midway (which is a normal sticking point for most people), but I could have easily finished the rep and locked it out. Had I done this, it would have been a 7.5kg PR. Brilliant.

But the dickhead grabbed the bar and deadlifted it back onto the rack, and said well done good effort etc and walked off.  Absolute tosser.

75kgs for 2 x 3

Dumbell Bench

26 x 8

28 x 6 (rep max)

Seated Row

3 x 15

Pullups

4 x 5

Tomorow is squats, and I am expecting to get 110kgs. If I have the energy to do so I will also bench up to 85.

22 minutes ago, tomleegolf said:

Good to see you're still going hard. Looking forward to getting in a few sessions with you at the Otago uni gym haha

Cheers bro, only started training hard in the last 2 months or so after taking a year off last year and dropping down to 65kg haha. Was a real struggle picking it up again but happy with where I am now, so learned my lesson. Would be great to see you down there and catch up.

2 hours ago, GyzzBrah said:

But the dickhead grabbed the bar and deadlifted it back onto the rack, and said well done good effort etc and walked off.  Absolute tosser.

Oooh, I'd be fuming. Sure, I'd smile politely and say thank you, but inside, I'd be reflecting on the poetic justice of him being beaten to death with the barbell he was clearly so very attached to. :-p