Hi guys, newbie in need of help

Monica

Hi my name is Monica Im 25 and I live in Christchurch.

I have started to exercise on and off about 4 years ago, tried running, yoga, spin classes but nothing really made my happy. At the start of this year I joined the gym and enjoyed it but due to health issues and uni commitments got off the healthy wagon.

After running out of excuses I decided this week to get back on it and went back to the gym on Monday. I enjoy it but Im always unsure that I am following the right plan and eating the right thing. I understand that i am not going to see a difference in my body after a couple of days but I want to make sure that I am taking full advantage of the time spent at the gym.

At the moment I am kinda following this plan:

Monday: Legs & Butt

Wide Stance Bodyweight Squat: 3 sets x 10 reps

Wide Stance Barbell Squat: 5 sets x 12 reps

Warm Up Stationary Lunges: 3 sets x 20 reps (each leg)

Leg Press: 3 sets x 12 reps

Warm Up Glute Bridge: 3 sets x 20 reps

Glutes Kickback: 4 sets x 20 reps (each leg)

Tuesday: Upper Body 

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 3 sets x 12 reps

Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 3 sets x 12 reps

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets x 12 reps

Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets x 12 reps

Push Ups: 3 sets x 10 reps

Wednesday: Abs & Lower Back

Bicycle Crunches: 3 sets x 20 reps

Crunches: 3 sets x 20 reps

Back Hyperextensions: 3 sets x 20 reps

Oblique Crunches: 4 sets x 12 reps (2 sets per side)

Single Leg Raises: 4 sets x 12 reps (2 sets per leg)

Thursday: Butt & Calves

Stationary Lunges: 3 sets x 20 reps

Glute Bridges: 3 sets x 20 reps

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift: 3 sets x 12 reps

Glutes Kickback: 4 sets x 20 (2 sets each leg)

Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets x 20 reps

Calf Press on Leg Press: 3 sets x 12 reps

Friday: Upper Body 

Chest Press Machine: 3 sets x 12 reps

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets x 12 reps

Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 3 sets x 12 reps

Side Lateral Raise: 3 sets x 12 reps

Tricep Dips: 3 sets x 20 reps

Push Ups 3 sets x 10 reps

In terms of cardio I dont have a plan. I just do 20min on the treadmill, bicycle or elliptical before every workout. And I also do long walks on the hills with the dog 3 times a week  

In relation to food, I eat healthy, but I dont know if I am eating too much or too little, I am eating around 1300 calories a day

Breakfast: 2 toasts, tea and fruit

Lunch: salad, 100g of meat and 100g of carbs

Snack: egg and veggies

Dinner: never the same but about 400 cal

Snack: 2 weet bix biscuits and tea

I joined this forum to get some opinions on what I am doing and hopefully gain knowledge to improve myself.

Please let me know what you think :) 

ps: newbie question... should I be taking any supplements? 

Hey Monica. 

That's actually a really good start. I think that with that routine and diet your already leagues ahead of where you could be. 

Firstly, I think some information about where your currently at, and where you want to be would be helpful. Do you want to increase muscle, lose fat, increase fitness etc etc, what would make this all a success for you?

Secondly, I always think keeping a macro tracker on your phone is super helpful. Just taking note of the food your eating is a great learning experience and tool to have. 

And thirdly, I wouldn't worry about any supplements yet, however this depends on your current body situation and goals. 

Throw up some more info about height and weight and stats, the more you write the more people can help.

17 minutes ago, RandySavage said:

Hey Monica. 

That's actually a really good start. I think that with that routine and diet your already leagues ahead of where you could be. 

Firstly, I think some information about where your currently at, and where you want to be would be helpful. Do you want to increase muscle, lose fat, increase fitness etc etc, what would make this all a success for you?

Secondly, I always think keeping a macro tracker on your phone is super helpful. Just taking note of the food your eating is a great learning experience and tool to have. 

And thirdly, I wouldn't worry about any supplements yet, however this depends on your current body situation and goals. 

Throw up some more info about height and weight and stats, the more you write the more people can help.

Thanks Randysavage, 

so my goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. I just want to be fitter, healthier and stronger. I'm not worried about weight but I want to feel comfortable in a bikini.

How do I know what macros amount to have?

im 162cm and 59kg no idea of body fat %, how do I find out?