Training angry = higher heart attack risk

Pseudonym

How many of us do this?!

Risk of heart attack tripled by exercising while angry, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/10/risk-heart-attack-exercising-angry

Attempting to “blow off steam” through vigorous exercise could triple the risk of a heart attack within the hour, experts say.

Being very upset or angry more than doubles the risk of a heart attack within an hour, while heavy physical exertion does the same, a worldwide study suggested. But combining the two – such as using extreme exercise as a way of calming down – increases the risk even further.

Lol very misleading headline.

13%-14% of people they asked about said that they were angry or did physical exercise before they had a heart attack, hardly damning evidence that these cause the heart attack. They may be a trigger due to increasing the heart rate or blood pressure but the cause is already there with the underlying cardiac conditions.

I love how they left the nurse till the end who basically said that.

Heart disease, prolonged hypertension and plaque build up in the blood vessels are far more dangerous than physical activity while angry in regards to cardiac arrest.

Agreeing what's already being said, it's unlikely that angina, or heart attack symptoms will be triggered through exercise whether angry or not in healthy individuals...

The "researchers" stated: 

“Heart attacks are mainly caused by atherosclerosis, the buildup of fatty plaque in the arteries. When plaque breaks off, a blood clot forms leading to a heart attack.

Atherosclerotic plaques are unlikely to present in persons who regularly exercise whilst maintaining a healthy diet..

In AAS users the kind of adaptations we want in the heart are the kind that high intensity cardio bring. It can basically 'enlarge' the capacity of the heart (the chambers) and also improve the ejection fraction. So the heart becomes more efficient per beat, and hence the pulse rate tends to fall - very low in very fit athletes. It does cause a very mild form of hypertrophy, but it arranges the cardiac tissue structurally slightly differently to the type that forms from heavy weight lifting.

So I would always recommend HIIT. LISS doesn't really do much good or bad for the heart. It's not intense enough to cause much positive adaptation, but if you have pre-existing heart conditions, it could aggravate those by drawing on cardiac oxygen capacity.

One of the other positives of HIIT is that it helps to stretch and (theoretically) break up the scarring/fibrotic tissue. We have to bear in mind that intense cardio pumps very large volumes of blood through the heart (unlike weights) which causes a nice eccentric stretch to the cardiac tissue, as opposed to more concentric-focus from weights.

However I think the take-home message to AAS users from studies like this is less about specifically lipids than how all these vectors interact to cause serious health problems. So, it's not just potential of lipids to cause a clot - it's the platelet aggregation as the more acute factor.

But furthermore, the AAS causing inflexibility of the vascular network (poor vasoreactivity) which promotes atherosclerotic plaque formation and makes the heart pump harder = the enlargement of his heart = inefficient pumping = reduced ejection fraction = relatively stagnant eddies of blood = increased risk of clotting.

And of course,  is the likely increase in PCV (red blood cell concentration), which would be an equally important factor. It seems astonishing that most AAS users don't seem to be aware of the effect AAS have on RBCs and how that could aggravated  heart conditions, but again that's part of a general lack of knowledge....

Agreed, the article is beating up the story with an attention-grabbing angle.

But I think the main point of the research was to demonstrate the link between mental state and physical conditions. I think the fact that something as intangible as an emotion could be roughly on par with extreme physical exertion is pretty interesting.

I am of the opinion that it is quite intriguing how something so impalable as a mental state of mind is comparable in effect to that of acute somatic endeavor. Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I would say that is a main facet of the analysis highlighted by this article.

I find it hard to get angry before a lift . A lot of guys can get real fired up easy , shouting and slapping their faces where as I like to be as calm as possible . Does being angry actually make your stronger through a lift because I need to to get myself fired up somehow if so. I feel more at risk of heart attack when I have pre trainers or to much caffeine. 

9 hours ago, Skeletor said:

I find it hard to get angry before a lift . A lot of guys can get real fired up easy , shouting and slapping their faces where as I like to be as calm as possible . Does being angry actually make your stronger through a lift because I need to to get myself fired up somehow if so. I feel more at risk of heart attack when I have pre trainers or to much caffeine. 

Very individual mate, Sports Psychology is an interesting subject and hard to pin down what works best for certain people straight off the bat.

A lot of the people who get fired up to lift are basically just getting adrenalin firing, whether they realize this or not. But then quite often if you get too fired up you'll rush things and screw something up technically which removes any advantage.

But again some people, potentially yourself get really calm and centred, and can be fired up as hell inside but on the outside look calm as anything, but still end up with the same adrenal effects. Ed Coan is great to watch lift like this, he has everything so routine when approaching the bar that he appears calm as anything, but in his head there's a whole lot going on.

Very diverse and individual subject, finding what works for you is the key, there's no real one size fits all approach as everyone has such different personalities, different reasons for lifting/competing, different pre lift routines, different training environments etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2016 at 1:54 AM, BeastBuilder said:

Lol very misleading headline.

13%-14% of people they asked about said that they were angry or did physical exercise before they had a heart attack, hardly damning evidence that these cause the heart attack. They may be a trigger due to increasing the heart rate or blood pressure but the cause is already there with the underlying cardiac conditions.

I love how they left the nurse till the end who basically said that.

Heart disease, prolonged hypertension and plaque build up in the blood vessels are far more dangerous than physical activity while angry in regards to cardiac arrest.

this