What am I doing Wrong?!

FitMum-pap

Hi Ladies,

I have been training 6 days a week and eating less calories than I need for the past year.

I am definitely stronger and fitter but have not lost any bodyfat and have in fact gained weight. 

Can anyone give any tried and true advice as to what is going wrong here?

Feeling incredibly frustrated!

Thanks

Um... one quick question - what does the tape measure say? 

If you've got your diet even close to the right ballpark, it's quite possible you've built some lean muscle.  The clue would be if the number on the scales has gone up, but the tape measure hasn't. 

Post up an accurate diet, including what time of day you train relative to your meals.

I haven't measured in a while but the way clothes fit I would say it hasn't gone down.

am 163cm, 61.5kg

4:50am   Half Banana

5:10am - 10 mins cardio, 30 mins weight training

6:30am - Rolled oats, fitmiss protein, almond milk, berries, coffee (sometimes flat white)

9:30am - Carrots, cottage cheese or nut butter, apple

12:30pm - Salad with salmon, kumara or kidney beans and salmon

3:00pm - Natural Yoghurt and nuts

6:00pm - Fish, pumpkin, vegies or Falafel, pumpkin and vegies

8:00pm - dark chocolate or decaf coffee

Hey there,

thought I'd add my two cents.

Your diet looks fine as it is, I probably wouldn't go changing it a whole lot if you find it easy enough to stick to, if you cut any more calories out you run the risk of losing some muscle which is not ideal.

TeamFatBoy may be right, you might have lost BF and gained some muscle which is why the scales say you've gained some weight.

Other than that, 10mins of cardio might be a little on the short side, try increasing it either with time or intensity that might help a bit. And make sure you're changing up or increasing your weight programme (which I'm sure you are).

Keep up the hard work :)

Yep, without a gauge on "how much" in each meal, I agree with Cory that changing it right now may not be the best idea.

One refinement - it looks like you do cardio - then weights? 

If so, swap them.  Do the weights work first while the energy's there and you can move more weight.  The more weight you move, the greater the benefit for your lean muscle.   Do cardio second, especially if it's steady-state treadmill/ bike - it's more likely you'll tap into energy stores.

If possible try a 3 to 4km fasted cardio in the morning and then a 45min to 90min weight session in the afternoon or night (45min each body part) and at least 100 reps of core exercise such as crunches, situps etc. However the effectiveness can be debated. 

Also at the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie however timing carbs can be very good and I see you're doing very well on your diet.

Keep it up the bro.

• 2 weeks later...

stronger and fitter -> probably gained muscle, defs lost some fat hence not seeing it on scales. it can be a slow process where feels like you dont make much progress... do your self a massive favor and make sure you take progress pics monthly and when you feel like you aint making any progress, go compare you to yourself.

also as TFB says, tape measure.

ps. 4.50am half a banana.. why half? full banana aint even that much cals, and what happens to the other half? dont see it anywhere on your list. replace the 8pm dark chocolate/decaf with more protein powder. doesnt have to be expensive 'female protein powder' (another topic on its own lol)

Hi Fitmum!

I think if you have been eating roughly this diet for a year (!) and not seen and changes in body fat you should take a look at either changing up your diet or training. 

Do you weigh and track your food? That could be a really great place to start to keep you mindful of what you are eating. 

I would also recommend trying to change up your weights training, maybe trying to lift heavier or include more compound movements if you enjoy that, or adding in more high intensity circuits and plyos if that's more your preference ? 

Keep up the great work!