continuous injuries

maccaz

Just wondering if anyone had some thoughts on what i can do to stop getting hurt so often. i follow powerlifting programming that isn't excessive, i warm up and stretch, foam roll, get massages etc, but still tend to get injured more often than other people.

tends to be low back, glute, hamstring, hip flexors, that whole area is prone to getting hurt which is a 2-3 week set back each time.

aside from more focus on stretching and getting more mobile and healthy through that area, is there anything extra i can be doing?

ill start taking fish oil again as had forgotten. 

what about peptides/hgh? 

1 minute ago, PETN said:

Only thing you can do really is stop powerlifting and do bigger volume with lighter weights.

yeah id agree except most recent injuries have been with light weight as well lol. more like a sudden pop rather than repetitive heavy weight wearing something out.

maybe ill just go desert like you

More rest? I mean didn't you squat hard one day then squat hard like 2 days later? 

your muscles, tendons etc are all weaker when they are fatigued. To put it simply That's how you grow, break them down then allow them to recover and so forth. If you are training again before they are recovered then there is a higher possibility of injury. I don't think you can argue with that simple summarisation.

probably the key point in addition to that is if you are not used to training in a fatigued state then best to build into it. 

Well maybe change mindset while lifting those lighter weight. Instead of the powerlifter a to b explosive concentric and quick eccentric to slower "feeling" the movement and being conscious of every part of the rom. Like a bodybuilder would. That way you're aware of how thing feel and nothing just pops cos you're not racing through the movements. 

I recently spoke to a guy who I prepped for a comp a year or so ago and he's been doing powerbuilding (whatever the f*ck that is) with some very high level powerlifters here in sydney. Apparently that meant high rep high volume explosive work... anyway results wise going by his dexa scans he lost muscle. So after having a chat with me he decided to do his primary exercise (squat, bench, deadlift) first in his workouts but slow the movements down with more control and then following on from that do less overall volume with more "bodybuilding" type movements and form. Gained lost weight and more in 2 weeks, also less strain in joints and lower back. 

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

More rest? I mean didn't you squat hard one day then squat hard like 2 days later? 

your muscles, tendons etc are all weaker when they are fatigued. To put it simply That's how you grow, break them down then allow them to recover and so forth. If you are training again before they are recovered then there is a higher possibility of injury. I don't think you can argue with that simple summarisation.

probably the key point in addition to that is if you are not used to training in a fatigued state then best to build into it. 

yep you're right there, probably a bad example this time round lol 

3 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

Do you think gear has anything to do with it? Dont want to be "That guy" but, last i read you weren't really taking a FULL break off gear. Does seem coincidental that you get injured heaps too. Not being a dick, just asking 

not sure tbh, will be taking extended time off altogether shortly so time will tell i guess. 

22 hours ago, maccaz said:

Just wondering if anyone had some thoughts on what i can do to stop getting hurt so often. i follow powerlifting programming that isn't excessive, i warm up and stretch, foam roll, get massages etc, but still tend to get injured more often than other people.

tends to be low back, glute, hamstring, hip flexors, that whole area is prone to getting hurt which is a 2-3 week set back each time.

aside from more focus on stretching and getting more mobile and healthy through that area, is there anything extra i can be doing?

ill start taking fish oil again as had forgotten. 

what about peptides/hgh? 

I've noted before on here how AAS can cause rapid recovery and thickening of the wrong type of collagen in tendons, thus theoretically making AAS-using athletes more prone to tendon rupture and injuries in future...

Although it appears accelerated recovery and superior functioning occur in athletes who do use AAS during recovery, if you're a competitive lifter or athlete who pushes your tendons to the limit every time you train, that brittleness may well cause another tear...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Connective tissue recovers much slower than muscle.

Try switching to front squats from back squats.  Lumbar doing enough work.

Overall it just sounds like your CNS needs to chill out.  Try a two week break.  Cardio, bis and tris if you gotta do something.  Get to sleep at least an hour earlier most days. 

If there is no real change after two weeks of this protocol then you can probably cross this cause off the list.

Massage is from sports physio yeah? SI Joints all good?