BIG DOGS

Skeletor

Anyone here looking to go to Big Dogs over in Australia later next month? Sounds like it's possibly going to be one of if not the biggest cash prize up for grabs for the winner in history of a powerlifting comp and some big names coming down for it. Had initially planned to go to this earlier but left it to late . So I don't think there is any weigh ins it's just turn up and whoever lifts the most wins.  Possibly even being broadcasted live on television from what I've read. Lifters get 2 mins to complete lift aswell and with the big cash prize youre likely to see a few really push themselves.  Who's everyone got to take this. Also Chad Wesley Smith is doing a seminar on the 30th with that chick Marisainda which would be a valuable learning experience.  Not interested in her but a day with him could have huge benefits. 

I think it will be a great experience, and a Chad Smith seminar would be tops.

I'm a bit over the hype tbh given some of the stated intentions of the show. But I think it will be great to see  Malanichev and Lillibridge go head to head. $15k or so for the winner, $30k prizepool total, with lifters having to pay their own flights, isn't exactly earthshattering. And that's precisely the reason all the strongmen who they approached said no. 

Hell, I competed in a strongman show in Aussie where Savickas went home with $17000 USD, and had his flights from Lithuania, food and a week on the Gold Coast paid for.
And though I finished out of the money, I had the same deal for 6 days. Pro strongman you do not usually have to pay travel expenses and hotels.

I had thought the top prize was more than that but still a pretty decent payout for the winner considering powerlifting not exactly a lucrative sport.   Kicking myself for leaving it to late but ill definitely get the live stream and planning a trip to Sydney anyway so bad timing.  Just seeing the big boys go at it will be epic.   Maccaz please get photos.

34 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Wow that's expensive to watch some guys lift weights. And you guys complain about bodybuilding comps lol 

These are like the powerlifting equivalent of Mr Olympia though or at least Arnold Classic  so if you compare it to that a fair price for true fans who know the guys.  

If I have nothing to do I'll watch the live feed but it's not high on my priority list. I more enjoy Markos' (he is the organiser/promoter for people who aren't aware) posts on the build up and background/behind the scenes type stuff. I find that stuff interesting. For me watching lifting is just boring even if it is the best lifters. I like watching 20second videos on FB but all big meets I have watched with the live feed Iv turned off pretty quickly as I just find it so boring. I just enjoy doing it and competing but I can't really get that excited about others doing it unless I have a personal connection with them. I'll be interested in looking at the results and will most probably just look at FB for updates.

If I lived in Melbourne I might of considered going with mates and have some beers and a feed if it's like that it would be really cool, hope you have fun maccas.

Agree that 15k prize is still f*ck all. Definitely wouldn't go to it to watch even if I got free flights and hotel because would be mostly waste of time travelling. I'm sure if I was hypothetically walking past such an event I'd stop and watch though. In all honesty I probably wouldn't watch live feed even if free as don't even know what day it's on and don't care enough to find out lol. Charging for it is a bit rich IMO especially as it's not exactly a popular sport but hey, up to organisers.

Well it's one of those things, if they don't charge then there's no show and I'm sure they'd have done their research and figured it was worthwhile running so must be more than enough interest. 15k for lifting a few weights, not a bad payday for a less than mainstream sport. I personally wouldn't pay but I'm not into the sport. Mind you if it was in Sydney and I knew someone competing I'd go watch cos it isn't crazy expensive. Maybe take a portable bbq and sell all the power lifters hot dogs to recoup my losses. 

Looking forward to it. Having few mates over and streaming it on my tv. I like the direction Marcos is taking the sport with this event making it more of a spectator sport. 15 strongest guys in the world going toe to toe, no fucking around it'll be over in 2.5 hours and the winner can rightly claim to be the strongest PLer in the world.

17 hours ago, Wookie said:

I think it will be a great experience, and a Chad Smith seminar would be tops.

I'm a bit over the hype tbh given some of the stated intentions of the show. But I think it will be great to see  Malanichev and Lillibridge go head to head. $15k or so for the winner, $30k prizepool total, with lifters having to pay their own flights, isn't exactly earthshattering. And that's precisely the reason all the strongmen who they approached said no. 

Hell, I competed in a strongman show in Aussie where Savickas went home with $17000 USD, and had his flights from Lithuania, food and a week on the Gold Coast paid for.
And though I finished out of the money, I had the same deal for 6 days. Pro strongman you do not usually have to pay travel expenses and hotels.

I suspect at least the top guys will be having their expenses reimbursed by Emad, he has very deep pockets and has paid for other top lifters to compete in Aus in the past. Eddie Hall turned down the opportunity because he didn't have a shit show of winning or at least that's what Marcos would have you believe.

14 minutes ago, PETN said:

Really? I would have thought with his deadlift he'd be pretty up there or is his grip strength plus his squat and bench complete shit or something?

His pb is 420 raw but that wasn't in a full meet. His 500 was with straps, suit and extra long bar. If he trained specifically for PL he would be up there for sure.

20 hours ago, bang_bang said:

His pb is 420 raw but that wasn't in a full meet. His 500 was with straps, suit and extra long bar. If he trained specifically for PL he would be up there for sure.

No, his 500 was with a regular 7.5' deadlift bar and calibrated plates. The 463 he did at the Arnold was with an extra long bar.

He's done 1 powerlifting meet in his life, that dead only meet, and that 420 was when his strongman deadlift was 440. Do I think he pulls more than 430-440 raw? No - I think his grip will limit him to about there, but only 2 guys have pulled more before.

23 hours ago, bang_bang said:

I suspect at least the top guys will be having their expenses reimbursed by Emad, he has very deep pockets and has paid for other top lifters to compete in Aus in the past. Eddie Hall turned down the opportunity because he didn't have a shit show of winning or at least that's what Marcos would have you believe.

And that's all an assumption, and a number of guys in the strongman community are laughing at the ignorance of it all.

Firstly, Peter Petras (sp) initially said he couldn't make Big Dogs cause he couldn't afford the flights. All public comment is that lifters are being forced to fund their own flights, and told to find sponsors. Maybe Emad will reimburse, but nowhere has that been stated. You don't bet on backroom deals.

Second- It is unheard of in strongman to require top athletes to pay their own way to anything. Let alone flights to Australia from England, Lithuania et al. Those aren't cheap. To say "well they all have sponsors" misses out on the fact that no strongman requires his sponsors to pay his travel expenses. It's not an amateur sport like powerlifting. 

Third- Powerlifting is a specific sport. Malanichev and Lilliebridge are the best powerlifters on the planet. What is being required of the strongmen who have been invited is to compete in a specific sport against the best of all time. That's a big ask, even though I have zero doubt guys like Hall and healthy Savickas can get around 1100. So really, they're playing for say a $5k podium spot, which will be mostly wiped out by travel expenses. Not worth it.
Malanichev and Lillibridge would fail to podium at Australia's Strongest man on 3 months prep, let alone World's Strongest Man. Benni Magnusson has done about 20 strongman shows and has yet to get remotely close to making the WSM finals.

It's laughable that Eddie is being thrown under the bus by Markos. He asked if 1000k would get him a podium spot. Now that's being contrued as the limits of his strength. That's laughable for a guy who has a touch and go 300kg bench to his name and his deadlift. Far better to assume Eddie was working out how hard he'd have to go to make the trip viable - when you compete 10 times a year (20 in the case of most European guys), you tend to do that.

Back in 2009 I got to spend 6 days with Zydrunas Savickas, arguably the strongest man of all time.

I asked him straight up what he thought he could lift "right now" if he did a powerlifting meet, raw with wraps.

He said 440, 260 bench, 410 deadlift. Said maybe 450 squat and 420 deadlift. And said he wasn't bench pressing often but could always do 260 raw. He told me he had squatted 395x4 the week before.

That's 1110, with the possibility of 1130, back in 2009. For context, Malanichev's record is 1135 and Lillibridge has 1115.

The powerlifters response to that is: "Well why didn't he do it?"

Savickas said and I paraphrase: "There is no money in powerlifting, it is amateur sport."

That contest in Australia he required $10k guaranteed and flights from Lithuania to be paid, plus all expenses met in Australia for the week.  He got another $7.5 Aussie in addition after. That's how you get the best strongmen in the world to come downunder.

23 hours ago, PETN said:

Really? I would have thought with his deadlift he'd be pretty up there or is his grip strength plus his squat and bench complete shit or something?

He claims touch n go 300kg bench and 405 in sleeves squat (someone said 400x2)t. Doesn't squat in wraps as only squats to have leg strength for strongman. A few of the UK guys are like that. Uses wraps and briefs for axle squat in strongman, but no word on him using them in gym.

As you can tell - not a powerlifter. 

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

Imagine sitting next to these guys on the flight to Aus from wherever they coming from... Poor people lol.

when i last saw chad wesley smith i was 115kg or so and i sat next to him and he made me look like a little boy lol 

some good numbers on social media coming out

gawain has doubled 380 squat, doubled 340 deadlift, and apparently bench is near 220. so good chance there will be another 1000kg aussie total after this.

chad smith squatted 430 last week and it didnt look very difficult

malanichev who knows, but gonna be good 

1 hour ago, maccaz said:

when i last saw chad wesley smith i was 115kg or so and i sat next to him and he made me look like a little boy lol 

some good numbers on social media coming out

gawain has doubled 380 squat, doubled 340 deadlift, and apparently bench is near 220. so good chance there will be another 1000kg aussie total after this.

chad smith squatted 430 last week and it didnt look very difficult

malanichev who knows, but gonna be good 

Gawain looks good for 420-220-380.

What happened to Alex Simon? Is he injured?