Not your average guy . . .

Psyke

Hi All,

So, moving on from the trangender in sport topic in general there was some genuine interest from people about training and weights etc so I thought I would start a journal and give people an opportunity to ask some questions. Potentially help me out some as well.

Background: 32 year old trans guy, 5 years into transition. Very on again/off again relationship with lifting, diet, exercise and weight. Currently (and will be forever) on testosterone.

I can't promise I will be 100% good at keeping this up to date but I will answer all questions etc at the very least.

Workouts currently consist of a stronglifts 5x5 type setup, food is better than is used to be but a bit average.

Starting point a year ago:fat.JPG

plus a photo from about 2 months ago.less fat.JPG

Current 5x5 lifts:

squat 85

bench 65

OHP 40

dead 100 (having real trouble with grip strength, 120 used to be easy, not sure what's going on

Ok so last nights workout as follows

2 mins rower at full speed to warm up

10 x 60kg squats

5x5 87.5kg squats (full depth)

10 x 20kg bench

5x5 67.5kg bench

I'm struggling with the rows, I never feel like I get my form right. In theory I should be doing barbell bent over rows but I ended up doing 5x5 24kg dumbell rows instead.

3x12 14kg dumbell flys

5x5 25kg bicep curls

50 situps (I ran out of time to do too much else)

I'm definitely never going to be the biggest or the strongest guy at the gym but looking around I manage to hold my own and do it all with good form so I will take that as a win for now. My body shape has completely changed in the last 3 years and I am still getting used to things.

Just a note too, I'm right at the tail end of my shot cycle so my T levels will be pretty low at the moment. The headaches are telling me it's about time to do my shot . . . 

With that in mind I'm pretty impressed that the numbers are still increasing.

For those that care, bodyweight is about 80.5kg and bodyfat is "toofuckingmuch"

Quick tip for deadlifts. Use lifting straps once the grip fails. You'll be lifting much more in no time. Can also do some grip training in addition if that matters to you. 

Lifting straps are my favourite. Good for heaps of other back exercises, such as shrugs and pulldowns. Especially when doing those top end sets. They eliminate the weakest link in the chain.

2 hours ago, New pome said:

Hi, good lifts. 

Could I ask what mg of T and how often? 

Hope it's ok to ask. 

Thanks. 

No problem on questions, that's part of why I am doing this. 

I'm currently in Reandron 1000 every 10 weeks. In theory it should be every 12 weeks according to pharmac but by week 10 I feel like death so the docs and I have dropped it to 10 weeks.

Levels are generally always within male range, tending toward the mid/high level of normal.

Prior to that I had been on depo t, 1ml a week. Again levels were in male range but the peaks and troughs were hell on my moods and energy levels. That and I got sick of the needles and being tied to weekly injections.

I have a hystorectomy coming up which will help heaps, there will be less estrogen in my system to have to combat so that will help energy, moods and potentially fat loss as well.

1 hour ago, I Declare War said:

Quick tip for deadlifts. Use lifting straps once the grip fails. You'll be lifting much more in no time. Can also do some grip training in addition if that matters to you. 

Lifting straps are my favourite. Good for heaps of other back exercises, such as shrugs and pulldowns. Especially when doing those top end sets. They eliminate the weakest link in the chain.

Cheers, I have some cheap ones but I keep forgetting to take them in, I really should sort my shit out.

In reality I think I'm just frustrated as 120kg used to be no problem at all and now I feel like I am struggling. It's just dawned on me though that I was using liquid chalk for the 120kg lifts and now I'm trying to do it with nothing. Maybe I should get some more liquid chalk.

good work so far man. yeah it certainly doesn't help with fitness unless circuit based training.  the life of excessive calories to support muscle gain can end up being very counter productive to fitness goals if you have them. have quite a hard time explaining this to my hiking buddies who regularly outpace me despite me being the only one who goes to the gym lol

Finally back in the gym after manfku and wisdom tooth infection. 

Squats 5x5 90kg

OHP 5x5 40kg

Deadlift 1x5 92.5kg - still really struggling with grip strength, need to get some liquid chalk. I can lift so much more by my hands are slipping too much. 

Weighted crunches - 40ish

all followed by an hour of dog walking. 

I often struggle to find motivation and energy to get to the gym but once I get there I'm happy as. Even more so when I look around and see I can lift what the other guys are lifting (well most of them). Each time I go in is a new PB on squats which is awesome too. 

Ok, so for those of you who are intersted in the effects of testosterone (and my personal journey)

Photo 1 is 5 years ago, it was a last favour to a friend to be a bridesmaid.

Photo 2 is 4 years ago, about 6 months post top surgery and about 11 months after starting testosterone (about 6 months after being on full dose Testosterone)

Photo 3 is 12 months ago as a fat bastard

Photo 4 was yesterday morning

progress.PNG

I sill have a long way to go to get the body I really want but I'm on the right track now. Doing a bit of a cut for summer as of yesterday too so lets see how that goes . . . 

So yesterday's effort . . . 

Squat 5x5 92.5kg (loving the PB every time I go in, I think I'm hitting a point where I should deload for form again and work back up but that 3 digit number is sooooo close . . . .)

Bench 5x5 70kg

Row 5x5 52.5kg (I'm not very good at these, never feel like I am engaging my back properly, any suggestions gratefully received)

dumbell flys 3x12 14kg

then 2 hours to stuff down some food (2x bacon and eggs on english muffin) and rest before playing 30 mins of intense indoor netball for cardio. I expected the netball to be shithouse based on being fatigued but in reality it was one of the most enjoyable games I have played. Maybe having the muscles warmed up etc helped instead of hindered my performance?

Saturdays Session:

Not enough food before this one, I was presenting to a bunch of Physios for work beforehand and forgot to eat. A lesson I learn the hard way so often . . . 

Squat 5x5 95kg

OHP 5x5 42.5kg

Deadlift 1x5 95kg

Finally got some liquid grip and it made a HUGE difference to my deadlifts, I should be able to start increasing the wight on these pretty quick again.

The last set of squats is starting to get pretty untidy, more like bastardised good mornings. I'm so set on trying to get to the 100kgs though. . . . I know I shouldn't ego lift but it's sooooo close . . .