NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
maccaz

Leg nerve issue

last thursday i was very tight from squatting two days earlier, did my best to loosen up with rollign etc but was still tight.

squatted 140 3x12

deadlifted 150 4x10

on one of last reps of lsat set of of deadlifts i felt what i can only describe as someone kicking my leg out from the side, leg crumpled underneath me, felt like an electric shock.

instantly from knee down was completely numb. i walked aroudn the gym for a bit freaking out thinking im paralysed, eventually the numbness went away, apart from big toe.

shooting and radiating pain down my right leg though.

feels like zero back pain, issue is from glute down to big toe which is still tingling a little.

certain positions are fine, i can stand for extended periods sweet as (so am using a standing desk at work today) 

i can lie flat on my back in bed and its okay, but if i lie on my side its extremely painful.

when sitting down or driving it gets excrutiating, im talking squirming and contemplating pulling over on motorway to get out and stand up for a sec to relieve it.

doctor and physio reckoned  inflammation in glute/piriformis is pressing on a nerve and once the swelling goes down itll be ok, and prescribed high dose codeine and diazepam, which is barely taking the edge off (having up to 150mg codeine and 15mg valium a day and still sore as f*ck.

im not one to question medical professionals usually, but this happened on thursday night and its not improving very quickly, anything else i should be doing?

im not a pussy but when im on verge of shouting in pain when driving i think its a bit too intense lol

Not a direct answer to your post. But from my experience and history with back problems(Aches, shooting pains, bed ridden, general stiffness, leg pains), technique and programming is what I keep an eye on. To many squat and DL reps, crap DL form (go sumo bro haha) will cause problems.

i also get a small dose of pain down the right side of my body when I get back pain. I get on the cricket ball and roll around in that area, it usually feels blown up and inflamed as it is really hard to get deep in the muscle. Tight hips cause problems too.

For or the last couple years, I've pre activated glutes and done hip mobility every session, avoided over exstention of the lower back and avoided things like arc bench after DL days, strengthen my core, ditched conventional, wear a belt on OHP and doing lots of front squats etc

it is shit, but in the back of your mind do you have a hunch on why this is happening? Probably recovery, to stiff and tight, then smashing out more squats.

The deadlifts were light and I was being careful on form and tightness but I think issue is was just too pre fatigued and tight from squatting so much that something had to give. Sucks. I'm glad the codeine is making me not need to shit because the thought of sitting down for 5 mins is horrible

lol

1 hour ago, maccaz said:

The deadlifts were light and I was being careful on form and tightness but I think issue is was just too pre fatigued and tight from squatting so much that something had to give. Sucks. I'm glad the codeine is making me not need to shit because the thought of sitting down for 5 mins is horrible

lol

When there's toilet back pump, there's a problem ?

Similar to when I strained my piriformus doing smolov.  Was also light but had a sudden wollop shock feel and it had me near bedridden for 2 days . Couldn't lean forward to tie laces or would get massive pain . Mine was somewhere in glute and what felt like middle back and doc said same thing that compression on nerve causing pain elsewhere . He did ask if I was getting it down my leg although I don't remember it being severe but I recall a feeling in thigh from it . I still have the tightness occasionally today but use the firm lacrosse ball against a wall and really get in there. I also roll legs, glutes and back on a piece of  80mm drainage pvc as a foam roller doesn't do diddly for me. Couldn't drive without pain for 6 months but found placing a rectangle cushion on seat lifted me up and took away 90% of it. Still use cushion today . Hope yours heals up quickly man . 

Hey Maccas. 
I can sympathise with you, I've had sciatic pain from an L4/L5 disc bulge for a few months and it's so gnarly! Keep your head up, it'll get better it just takes a long time.  
If you've got shooting pain going down the leg then it's an irritation of the sciatic nerve. Almost always this is due to a slipped disc in your back pushing on the nerve. If your muscles were already fatigued from heavy squats and deadlifts then your core muscles would have to take all the load and that's when the disc might have slipped.
In rare cases people get piriformis syndrome which is where the piriformis is very tight and inflamed and squeezes on the nerve but like I said it's rare. The only way to really know which one it is is to push to have an MRI done on your lower back. 
Look into the McKenzie method, these exercises focus on working the disc bulge back into place with extension of the spine and avoiding spinal flexion. The book 'Healing your back pain' by John E Sarno is a really interesting read too. Another thing that helped me heaps was dosing my body with high dose vitamin C, and taking a bromelain supplement. 
I hope you get better soon bro!

15 hours ago, Froglob said:

Hey Maccas. 
I can sympathise with you, I've had sciatic pain from an L4/L5 disc bulge for a few months and it's so gnarly! Keep your head up, it'll get better it just takes a long time.  
If you've got shooting pain going down the leg then it's an irritation of the sciatic nerve. Almost always this is due to a slipped disc in your back pushing on the nerve. If your muscles were already fatigued from heavy squats and deadlifts then your core muscles would have to take all the load and that's when the disc might have slipped.
In rare cases people get piriformis syndrome which is where the piriformis is very tight and inflamed and squeezes on the nerve but like I said it's rare. The only way to really know which one it is is to push to have an MRI done on your lower back. 
Look into the McKenzie method, these exercises focus on working the disc bulge back into place with extension of the spine and avoiding spinal flexion. The book 'Healing your back pain' by John E Sarno is a really interesting read too. Another thing that helped me heaps was dosing my body with high dose vitamin C, and taking a bromelain supplement. 
I hope you get better soon bro!

thanks mate, oddly enough it went completely away then flared up again on monday. annoyed, doctor is certain not disk but il just keep bugging him for an MRI.

piriformis massage helps heaps for now

On 26/09/2016 at 10:45 AM, maccaz said:

last thursday i was very tight from squatting two days earlier, did my best to loosen up with rollign etc but was still tight.

squatted 140 3x12

deadlifted 150 4x10

on one of last reps of lsat set of of deadlifts i felt what i can only describe as someone kicking my leg out from the side, leg crumpled underneath me, felt like an electric shock.

instantly from knee down was completely numb. i walked aroudn the gym for a bit freaking out thinking im paralysed, eventually the numbness went away, apart from big toe.

shooting and radiating pain down my right leg though.

feels like zero back pain, issue is from glute down to big toe which is still tingling a little.

certain positions are fine, i can stand for extended periods sweet as (so am using a standing desk at work today) 

i can lie flat on my back in bed and its okay, but if i lie on my side its extremely painful.

when sitting down or driving it gets excrutiating, im talking squirming and contemplating pulling over on motorway to get out and stand up for a sec to relieve it.

doctor and physio reckoned  inflammation in glute/piriformis is pressing on a nerve and once the swelling goes down itll be ok, and prescribed high dose codeine and diazepam, which is barely taking the edge off (having up to 150mg codeine and 15mg valium a day and still sore as f*ck.

im not one to question medical professionals usually, but this happened on thursday night and its not improving very quickly, anything else i should be doing?

im not a pussy but when im on verge of shouting in pain when driving i think its a bit too intense lol

Google L-4, L-5 stretching exercises....