Rotator Cuff - Injury (HELP!)

-Dan-Knee-

All,

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times but I would really appreciate some feedback specific to my current situation. My workouts are currently affected to a point where I'm not able to put in half the effort on a couple of body parts.

Its started as a smaller pain in my shoulder during flat bench then after 2 days off the gym I went to do shoulders and the pain was pretty sore to a point where I couldn't do overhead press etc and now I can feel it more in everyday movements. I done abit of homework online and after afew movements feel its definitely my rotator cuff.

Most of the pain comes when i try do any movements behind my head and when I do the rotator cuff warm up movement (standing with my elbow at 90 degrees at shoulder height, parallel to the ground and only move my forearm up and down... when i reach the top (fist above head) is when I feel the most pain.

Basically what I want to know is:

1. Should I be stopping the gym as I really don't want to have to do this. I currently train 4-5 days a week.
  2. Do these rotator cuff workouts actually work? And if so how many times a week should I do them?
  3. Are there any supps I can take to assist with the recovery? 
  4. Do I need to go to physio? As I don't really want to if I don't have to. 

Sorry for the long explanation I just want to ensure I let everyone know as much as possible as I know your feedback will help me out like you have done in the past.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently struggling at the gym which doesn't make me happy at all!

Cheers

Danny

1. Should I be stopping the gym as I really don't want to have to do this. I currently train 4-5 days a week. Stop doing the exercises that cause pain. Let it heal. The aim is to try and work around it, not through it. If you work around it, and it can heal, then it will heal eventually.
  2. Do these rotator cuff workouts actually work? And if so how many times a week should I do them? Only do them if there is no pain in that movement. They can work, but they can also be quite useless. What I do with shoulders to rehab them is what I mentioned in point 1. Let the body heal itself. What's more important with the shoulders IMHO is that everything is aligned properly and you don't have tightness in your lats, traps and shoulder muscles and associated tendons restricting the movement into planes of motion that are outside of the proper motion planes as dictated by your skeletal structure.
  3. Are there any supps I can take to assist with the recovery? Extra sleep is the only supplement that I'd suggest. Rest up and heal.
  4. Do I need to go to physio? As I don't really want to if I don't have to. If pain persists and/or you feel something may be damaged inside you should. But, be careful, they can make it worse. Sometimes it's best to get an X-Ray before you let other people push and pull on things, as they don't have the pain feedback you're experiencing of yourself, they can easily push you past limits you may not push yourself past.

Had same problem few years ago. Was certain it was rotator.  Went and got an ultrasound so we'd know and turns out it was just inflamed . Gave me a shot of cortisone and boom all better a week or 2 later. I'd go to doc and go and get referred straight to get a U/S.  Either way it should show the problem 

Go to the physio bro. It sounds like a pretty common thing to happen. But you don't want to f*ck your RC or any part of your shoulder by just ignoring it and keeping training. So Just relax mate, the training isn't going anywhere, you're not gonna die if you don't get to the gym 4-5 times a week. Shoulders seldom come right when there is a serious injury, and small injuries become big injuries when you keep training with them.

Thanks heaps for your feedback I Declare War!

23 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Had same problem few years ago. Was certain it was rotator.  Went and got an ultrasound so we'd know and turns out it was just inflamed . Gave me a shot of cortisone and boom all better a week or 2 later. I'd go to doc and go and get referred straight to get a U/S.  Either way it should show the problem 

Cheers Skeletor... think Im going to take your advise and go to the doc to get it sorted and rest up for afew weeks.

23 hours ago, VikingBrother said:

hey mate is there a private mail thing on this if you message me ill give you some rehab advice

Cheers VikingBrother, have sent you a PM!

11 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Go to the physio bro. It sounds like a pretty common thing to happen. But you don't want to f*ck your RC or any part of your shoulder by just ignoring it and keeping training. So Just relax mate, the training isn't going anywhere, you're not gonna die if you don't get to the gym 4-5 times a week. Shoulders seldom come right when there is a serious injury, and small injuries become big injuries when you keep training with them.

Cheers Realtalk, I plan to book into the doc and get it looked into properly and depending on how I go I may try physio after. I definitely agree about not training it... I have been training around it but its more frustrating to be honest!

Thanks heaps all :-D