How your thoughts effect your physical ability

Skeletor

One thing I have noticed over the last few years of training is the effect your thoughts have on your physical ability to do a set task. For example if I'm programed to do a set of squats at 130kg for 20 reps one week and a set of 140kg for 20 reps the following week I'm nearly always feeling like I'm about to fail on that last rep no matter if it's 20 or 30.  Like for example when a group of top level powerlifters at a gym are all stuck under a certain number and none of them can hit it. Then one guy hits it , the others see its possible and suddenly all the others start hitting it to within weeks.  Mentally knowing I should be able to do a lift vs mentally thinking it could be possible can be a huge difference in the strength I generate on that lift. It's quite an interesting topic to me lately and wondered if others experience this same sort of thing? 

http://drdavidhamilton.com/how-your-mind-can-affect-your-strength/

This is a topic I find hugely interesting. One of things I stress with all my clients is mindset and self belief. It's amazing say with nutrition to give someone a plan but if they don't have the right mindset it won't be as effective as if they do. Same as protocols for dropping water. Thought I'd add how it effects other areas of performance :)

Had this happen at work today. Was supposed to be working on the computer but because I didn't believe in myself  just ended up watching my shares, reading random shit online and having 2 faps in work toilets then doing a token amount of work in the last half hour of my 10h work day so I don't get fired. I also find the topic hugely interesting.

Just now, PETN said:

Had this happen at work today. Was supposed to be working on the computer but because I didn't believe in myself  just ended up watching my shares, reading random shit online and having 2 faps in work toilets then doing a token amount of work in the last half hour of my 10h work day so I don't get fired. I also find the topic hugely interesting.

Well while you're day might have been unproductive (probably says more about your attitude to your job than anything else) you have tapped into that mindset and self belief when you train which is why you shift good numbers when you want to. 

agree.

what i do is look at my programmed numbers for the week ahead, and without going out specifically to do it, i end up visualising the top sets (especially if they are gonna be pb's) throughout the week, and particularly that day.

say im gonna squat a slight pb, or rep pb, can be sure that ill be visualising it non stop that day, before i head to the gym. 

definitely works for me. i think its the excitement rather than the fact i have visualised technically doing it though

Also agree. Before I started squatting properly I always had a plateau of around 80 x 2 with a max of around 100.

But wanted to get better, so wookie did my programming, and said to do 80 x 8 on first week, and I thought wtf. Attempted set and failed at 3 or so reps on each set.

He said repeat from week 1 again, and stop being pussy etc.

So I thought if he put it in my program,  he would know it was an achievable number.

So week after I went to go do set, and managed 80 x 8 for 2 sets, even though never gone above 2 before.

By training logic, I expected a jump from 2 reps to 8 (both 10 rpe) to be unachievable, but the believe that I have to do it to not dissapoint wookie made me able to do it.

This was 2 years ago, can currently squat 40kgs.

Typing at 4 am.