Knee Wraps.. What Do you Use ?

Skeletor

So I've been obviously slowly getting use to wraps now and have been pretty much running with the Inzer Grippers. A nice softer wrap with what I think is pretty good rebound getting me up to 260kg , maybe 265 on a good day . Do you normally switch to a cast type wrap once you've become accustom to the softer or do you stick with what's working?  I haven't yet mastered full tightness like when I got wrapped at nats but that just threw me way off as I couldn't even feel my legs .  I honestly don't think I'll ever want or like them that tight again as I couldnt stand or walk properly on my own let alone how fricken bruised it left me. Should I stick with softs if i dont like that extreme tightness and just work on that or try a more cast wrap? What brand do you prefer and why ? Do you train in same brand as you compete?  Of the softs the grippers I feel work best for me. Have used the red slingshots about 2/3rds how tight i wrap grippers and hit 255 a while back now and see a lot of big squatters using them. In theory should I get more from a cast I guess is the question I'm asking after all that lol.  These are what wraps I own.

Titan THPs     firm   unused.

Signature Gold    firm  unused.

Slingshots       blue soft    used twice.

Slingshots       red  firm    used 3 times.

SBD                   soft             used once.

Inzer gripper  soft      used lots (my babies).

I also hate wraps, imo something that can add 30-50kg to your total should be classed as equipped. I use the blue slingshots which are soft as f*ck I get maybe 10kg out of them over my Harris twin ply sleeves. I'd say if you can use your soft wraps as tight as you can possibly get them yourself then move to stiffer wrap, start looser then build up to using them tight. I brought some ricochets which I thought I was using tightish until I had someone else wrap me and this was the result. Next year I'll start using them a lot earlier to give myself a chance to get the maximum out of them. 

image.jpeg

Definitely not a fan of them either but no point competing against everyone else using them or why compete at all. Noticed a few of the aussie lads using them have a lot better squat then me in them yet my sleeved squat is better so shows I really need to work on them if I want to be decent.  Everyone seems to use those loaded lifting ones lately. 

I've used Titan RPMs, Inzer Iron Zs, Ricochets, SBD Comp Wraps & Record Breakers in that order.

All 2.5m except for the Titans.

I think what type wrap suits you best depends on your Squat style and where your weaknesses and strengths are.

For me I'm quite a slow squatter, on the descent for sure compared to most people as this allows me to hold my tightness better, and also my sticking point when not in wraps is right on the hole so I've found the Record Breakers awesome as they have a lot of support and "stopping power" in the hole, compared to some of the springier wraps that would benefit more of a fast squatter and someone who needs the extra momentum to get through a sticking point halfway up. If that makes sense ?

As a comparison, I'll crank my Record Breakers tight as hell and when I walk up to the bar they actually feel quite comfortable, but when I'm at the bottom they literally stop me in my tracks, whereas say the Inzers or SBDs are much stretchier and when I crank them they feel tight the entire time but I don't feel the same stop at the bottom of the rep.

Hard concept to explain but that's my take on it.

I love wraps because they help my Squat so much, if I didn't have wraps I would lose a good 30-40kg off my Squat which I'm not afraid to admit, but it doesn't matter as my competition is in wraps as well.

I have also only recently started wrapping I tried it a few years ago and had a friend wrap my legs too tight it put me off for years. My pb raw squat is 250 and I'm yet to break this with the wraps. I've found wrapping over my knee sleeves is a more comfortable way to get used to tightening them. Does anyone else do this?

Lots of top guys wrap their own knees. If I trained at a powerlifting type gym with gang of guys who were there at the trainings and gonna be at the comps. I guess like a ptc type environment I would probably have my knees wrapped by someone. When I go train with Reuben he has wrapped my knees a couple of times and it was really good mostly because it wasn't much tighter than what I wrap myself which was purposely done. I do think it's a bit dumb to wrap your own knees in training then rock up to a comp and have someone wrap them as tight as they possibly can. Seems to be a somewhat common occurance, have had it happen to me. Learnt from that one. I think the lifter just needs to communicate better to the person wrapping and not be afraid to say no I don't want it that tight. I jut find it easier to wrap my own, but having someone do it does take the stress away which is nice.