Predicting a shift in bodybuilding foods

Rick123

I'm going to say I told you so in 10 or so years. I see no benefit from consuming animal products for bodybuilding rather a disadvantage.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/plant-based-diets/

Here is what I ate yesterday. I wasn't focusing on a high protein diet.

My amla powder is coming tomorrow,  261.53mmol antioxidant content /100g

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/supplementary/1475-2891-9-3-S1.pdf

Supplement with b12 & vitamin D from the sun

foods.png

nutrition.png

51 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

What's so special about animal products for bodybuilding? Plant based foods come with a tremendous amount of benefits that are void in animal products.

What's so special about plant products for bodybuilding? What's wrong with a mix of both? I actually understand the argument on ethical grounds but not in terms of efficacy for bodybuilding. 

On 9/18/2016 at 2:10 PM, HarryB said:

What's so special about plant products for bodybuilding? What's wrong with a mix of both? I actually understand the argument on ethical grounds but not in terms of efficacy for bodybuilding. 

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/plant-based-diets/ 

I don't understand why you would spend your caloric daily budget on foods when healthier alternatives are an option. There are no phytochemicals or fibre in animal foods and the amount of antioxidants is negligible. It's essentially junk food in a sense compared to the alternatives. Less nutrition bang for your caloric buck.

Animal products are heavily acid-producing foods. Plant based foods are alkaline-forming. 

How then is our body neutralizing the acid? Maybe with our muscles! Our blood gets more acidic as we age and our kidney function declines, and this may be a reason we lose muscle mass as we get older. As a pair of researchers note: “The modern Western diet based on animal products generates an acid load that may cause a lifespan state of unnoticed and growing metabolic acidosis.” This chronic low-level diet-dependent metabolic acidosis might contribute to the progressive shrinking of our muscle mass as we age.

Muscle wasting appears to be an adaptive response to acidosis. When our muscles break down, amino acids are released into the bloodstream. Our liver can then take these amino acids and make glutamine, which our kidneys can use to get rid of excess acid.Those over age 65 eating alkaline diets were better able to preserve their muscle mass, which the researchers think may be because the alkaline-producing fruits and vegetables helped relieve the mild acidosis that occurs with the ingestion of the standard American diet.

Contrary to popular myth, vegans have healthy bones and higher blood protein levels than omnivores. Most vegans get more than enough protein. In one study, within a matter of weeks, participants placed on the plant-based diet experienced improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol and insulin levels, insulin resistance, and C-reactive protein levels.

Vegans may have fewer nutrient deficiencies than average omnivores while maintaining a lower body weight without losing muscle mass. Those eating plant-based diets appear to experience enhanced athletic recovery without affecting the benefits of exercise. The arteries of vegans appear healthier than even long-distance endurance athletes and those on low-carb diets. In fact, the Paleo Diet may increase the risk of toxin contamination, DNA damage, and cancer

On 9/18/2016 at 2:23 PM, Skeletor said:

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/meat/

Here are 100's of reasons TO avoid meat.

I did read some where that Okinawa's as they got older had the highest testosterone levels ever recorded. I'm guessing due to their whole plant based anti aging diet.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/How_To_Avoid_Andropause.aspx

13 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Lean meats are junk food? 

You're a moron. Case closed.

I said,  "in a sense compared to the alternatives", if you bothered to read.

"Less nutrition bang for your caloric buck." 1000 calories of steak has 0 pytochemicals, fiber and very low in antioxidants.

2 minutes ago, trainlikeafreak said:

How many carbs does one have to eat to get enough protein in on a daily basis. Way too many if you are trying to get bodybuilding lean for most people. Plus meat has so many benefits to muscle building that you just can't get in supplements or.. Vegetables.

High protein sources are legumes, vegetables and plant based protein powders.

What benefits?

30 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

"vegetables", lol like what?

how much protein is in 100g of a vegetable. 

Well, considering we have caloric needs not weight needs.

Mushrooms 282g protein per 2,000 calories 

Spinach 258g protein per 2,000 calories

Kale 175g protein per 2,000 calories

Broccoli 166g protein per 2,000 calories

Obviously, I don't expect someone to get their bulk of calories coming from vegetables, however they are a good source of protein. Combine a vegetable rich diet with a heavy amount of legumes and if you must a plant protein powder, there shouldn't be any trouble getting enough protein.

26 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

Obviously, I don't expect someone to get their bulk of calories coming from vegetables, however they are a good source of protein. Combine a vegetable rich diet with a heavy amount of legumes and if you must a plant protein powder, there shouldn't be any trouble getting enough protein.

How many kg is that of each of those to hit 300g of protein br0?

Also mushrooms are not vegetables. Fungi are not plants.

19 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

Trying to imagine the mass of broccoli to get 166 grams of protein. Must be a good 6kg wouldn't it?

31 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

scales don't measure calories so at some point you are going to have to break it down to per100g or what have you to get a physical volume of the food to get a measurement of the protein content.