Paralympics Bench Pressers

Skeletor

11 hours ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

HOW do they do this man, not even with any leg drive/arching. just have ridiculous chest mass?  i'm not seeing particularly short arms there either

They're just awesome .  Half of them don't even use a belt or wrist wraps either. If one of us powerlifters did this we'd call it a feet up, flat back , no wraps, no belt raw bench.  They just call it a bench.  Stricter rules to. Even the bar has to travel evenly to avoid stepping. Modern powerlifting could learn a lot from these guys

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

They're just awesome .  Half of them don't even use a belt or wrist wraps either. If one of us powerlifters did this we'd call it a feet up, flat back , no wraps, no belt raw bench.  They just call it a bench.  Stricter rules to. Even the bar has to travel evenly to avoid stepping. Modern powerlifting could learn a lot from these guys

Mostly about humility.....

1 hour ago, I Declare War said:

Yeah there's alot of ego lifting attempts at powerliftibg comps. One guy springs to mind but I won't name him as NZ is a small place and I don't wan't to offend.

How these guys lift is perfect... absolute humility, proper raw lifting.

I can think of numerous people with huge egos in NZ powerlifting.

5 hours ago, I Declare War said:

Yeah there's alot of ego lifting attempts at powerlifting comps. One guy in particular springs to mind but I won't name him as NZ is a small place and I don't want to offend.

How these guys lift is perfect... absolute humility, proper raw lifting.

Whats an ego lifting attempt? 

11 minutes ago, I Declare War said:

Putting so much weight on your squat attempt that you can't even walk it out on the third attempt...  after failing on on the first and second lifts, increasing weight each time.

I was in disbelief when I this particular example. 

Why is that ego lifting? Sounds like a risky strategy that didn't pay off for him that time, but oh well. Its a power-lifting comp not the gym. Bit different to someone training hogging all the plates doing tiny ROM rack pulls/squats/leg press etc or getting spotted on every rep on bench.

You'd have to have a pretty big ego to pick that strategy to begin with. Reasoning with something along the lines of "I don't want to be seen pulling a lighter weight than the others so let's pick weights I can't do." This guy did the same with his bench BTW. I think he failed all three attempts for both lifts.

It's kind of like a reverse ego I guess.

But yeah, there's heaps more examples. 

1 hour ago, PETN said:

Why is that ego lifting? Sounds like a risky strategy that didn't pay off for him that time, but oh well. Its a power-lifting comp not the gym. Bit different to someone training hogging all the plates doing tiny ROM rack pulls/squats/leg press etc or getting spotted on every rep on bench.

It's ego lifting... all lifting is ego lifting isn't it?  In the gym, on the platform, it's all to satisfy the ego. Bodybuilding, powerlifting, anything you pursue as a means for feeling better about yourself is egocentric. When I said about humility I really just meant in relation to arrogance. 

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

People with huge egos in any sport. I think some people are just confident. Some are just assholes who only care about themselves.  

I feel like in order to be super successful you have to have a healthy ego... realistic but healthy. Arrogance and false humility are where people start to turn other people off. Mind you of you're gonna be arrogant in competition and you win then all good :) 

26 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I wasn't meaning the competitors lol. Can't say i have seen someone competing who was arrogant. I think the egos are power hungry people who can't rule anyone apart from their husband or wife so ruling a sporting organisation with 100 odd members services their insecurities. 

I'm guessing you're directing that at GPCs president? 

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

I wasn't meaning the competitors lol. Can't say i have seen someone competing who was arrogant. I think the egos are power hungry people who can't rule anyone apart from their husband or wife so ruling a sporting organisation with 100 odd members services their insecurities. 

Damn bro can't be good for your health being so bitter. Seems almost every post from you has some underlying tone directed at a GPC member. Just let it go