Kevin Levrone - Mass with class! 2 weeks out interview

I Declare War

42 minutes ago, I Declare War said:

A bodybuilder who doesn't deadlift is a pussy!!!!!!! :P

Can't hurt deadlifting every 2-3 weeks IMO. Can maintain some great strength doing that. Doesn't even need to be regular. Stiff legged is great.

Stiff legged is for hammies. I do like deadlifts though.. But prefer rack deads for back when I do them.

anyway back to the subject lol

39 minutes ago, I Declare War said:

A bodybuilder who doesn't deadlift is a pussy!!!!!!! :P

Can't hurt deadlifting every 2-3 weeks IMO. Can maintain some great strength doing that. Doesn't even need to be regular. Stiff legged is great.

Specifically why does one need to do deads. Seen some awesome backs in bodybuilding which never did a deadlift and seen some shitty backs on powerlifters who deadlift a tonne. How is your 4 plate deadlift going to develop your back better than my 4 plate bb row.. 

Haha haha if only you could deadlift 300k. I can bb row 180 ;) have also deadlifted 300. But really what I mean is its not specific to bodybuilding so what purpose does it serve? Want middle upper back strength and development, do rack deads or heavy bb rows and shrugs. I just don't see why everyone thinks you have to deadlift? I hate the exercise with a passion :) 

i never deadlifted at all untill I was like 24yrs old. After I decided to not really do bodybuilding anymore. I used to do stiff leg deadlifts occasionally but not too often. My back was pretty good without them and it's still good now. I don't really attribute that to deadlifts though. I think bent over barbell rows are the king for a big back, and then pulldowns, which I still do both of and have done since I was shown them in the beginning. I don't think DL need to be a staple exercise for a bodybuilder. They root you fatigue wise if you are wanting to train 6 or 7 days a week continuously for a period of time which is common for a bber to do. I do think it is a very good exercise for performance though and I throughly enjoy deadlifting but as far as physical appearance and muscle building goes it's not overly important and can be done without.

by the same token, I do think it's important to get stronger and they will make you stronger overall. I just think if you want to do then cool if you don't cool I doubt it will make much difference to your placing provided you are substituting them accordingly.

He is a legend but his legs were embarrassing. And he looked out of place. It's just disrespectful to the others who deserve to be up there. Just my opinion. I also think you lose all right to excuses when you compete at the elite pinnacle of a sport. So the fact that he is 52 years old means jack shit to me, I know it's inspirational to older guys but to be honest if you want to be recognised for your age then compete in an age group class not a best of the best event. I thought the hype was just crazy. It was stupid reading all the stuff on Facebook of people who thought he would win, that's just not really possible these days in elite sport. That's like believing ed Coan could come back now and beat everyone who is at the top of powerlifting. you can't just stop doing it then come back a decade later and be at the top. That's like saying all the work and training dexter has done since Kevin finished was just a waste of time. Well it wasn't and it showed. Should have just gone out like he did, i don't think the Olympia stage is the place for personal fulfilment of goals from average physiques. Just my opinion. I respect and admire what he did as a bodybuilder but can't applaud that at the Olympia. If he did a regional show then yeah I'd probably be more impressed. Kind of Reminds me of benji Marshall coming to rugby and skipping the lower grades and doing it properly just so everyone could cash in on the hype and get a pay day at Eden park when super started.

Yeah after seeing him next to Phil I have to agree. Maybe it was all a setup to get fans interested again and cause some hype after the disappearance of Kai . Because that rivalry caused a lot of interest and without that it was pretty easy to call how they'd place .  One thing I can say though is for him to get as big as he did in just 6 months is amazing . Imagine if he had stayed at it the entire time. 

It was cool to see levrone even if he got smoked. Im sure the other competitors appreciated having him on stage, it's just a novelty thing......but he shouldn't compete again haha

Other than that I thought the judging in the open was pretty good. Bonac was the most interesting.  The 212 seemed to be very favourable to flex and I had the feeling he was dlightly out classed by a few others. But hey he's the golden boy

Fair comments Tom,

Sentiment vs Reality I guess,

Shawn Ray suggested that having Kev do a Legend of Bodybuilding Guest Posing to start the show or something similar might have been a better way to go and yes for some of the fellow competitiors it certainly stole alot of their thunder, you could see some pissed off guys at the press conference. Others were in awe of him like Cedric.

I guess it was more for the fans, nostailga and for ticket sales etc. I have seen some ex competitiors compete in worse shape though like Samir in the Masters.

The one thing it did do was create some interest in the show again as its been pretty predictable for the last couple of years, especially for the no 1 spot. Its become so predicatble that Phil gets hammered in social media all the time now but its not really his fault, he just has that 10% more than the other guys when he is on. 

It was pretty cool to see Kevin come out to Creed but straight away the legs were noticably not there, from the front and side his upper body still looked pretty good though.

I think Shawn and Dexter have both had their best chances to knock Phil off but havent yet quite had enough to do so. Dexter is complete but smaller and Shawn is better in some parts (wider clavicles, narrower waist with with better legs but lacks the Arms, Delts and Killer Back and IMO killer attitude at the moment to beat Phil. I'd like to see him go after Phil on stage and pose off against him a bit more, he's a pretty relaxed guy but almost looks not to care if he wins or gets 2nd on stage which I am sure isnt the case.

Without Kai at his best competing, unless Phil gets injured, screws up or another guys comes in outrageous shape I cant see him losing for a while.

Bonac was impressive though, kind of a mini Kai Greene, just slightly narrower clavicles.

Some good conditioning in the 212's I had Dave Henry in 2nd though as his back is the best in this class and he has better balance than Corejja and he had brought up his quads. I thought Dugdale looked great, not in contention as he is too small but wicked conditioning, perhaps he could take on good old Danny Hester in Classic next year?

Danny must be loving it, hes plugged away at Golds for probably 35 years and is no an Olympia Champion in a perfect class for his physique!

From the arena there were a few things I'd say:

Judging was pretty good though Ramy was actually amazing and the crowd was booing hard at his placing. He was the only one hanging with Phil from behind. 

Bonac was unreal but didn't tighten up as much for finals.

Josh should have beat Dallas IMHO.  Justin looked terrible. 

212's was tough battle for 2 & 3. Flex wasn't gonna lose on the day. I had jose 2nd but fair call it was so close.

Re: Kevin - he had the crowd going mental. World class side chest & most muscular. Hi back actually surprised me. Legs were down though. When he finished he got a full house standing ovation, biggest reaction of the night, more than winners, Arnold or Dwayne Johnson. Highlight of the night for so many reasons.