NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Skeletor

Monolift J Hook Attachments

Got one of those BOC multiprocess inverter machines that can do stick, MIG or non AC TIG. Never tried TIG before. Will get argon bottle and shorter torch thing with Teflon liner and use U groove roller and give it a shot. Would just be making stuff for cars like an air box and pipework, ute tray etc with the alloy so only very light fabrication. Don't have a generator yet and just using single phase power supply at rented place. 

Mag drill is just for home use and odd jobs. E.g. drilling holes like this for M80 bolt.

IMG_20170701_133905.thumb.jpg.593e9d71afc4c8645d852239286bfa7b.jpg

Was looking at getting a hitachi drill press then decided f*ck it, will pay a bit extra and get a decent mag drill. Probably going to make a bit of stuff out of stuff like HW300*300*10*15 etc that I'd prefer to be modular rather than welded as one thing. Tapping would mostly only be stuff under M20.

Planning on making a stand or two for it so I can use it as you would a normal drill press to do small stuff and non ferrous metals etc. Not too worried about dropping a few grand here and there as ultimately I will get 45% of whatever I spend back by claiming it as work expense in tax return.

Anyway getting way off topic

On 11/22/2017 at 3:48 PM, PETN said:

Got one of those BOC multiprocess inverter machines that can do stick, MIG or non AC TIG.

Shouldn't need a new torch lead, just a alloy liner at most. At 3metres The boc 175 lead is short enough for alloy weldong, I have a boc 175 myself, good little machine, I find it's good for panel work when working at people's homes as it is nice and light to transport and not too hard on the fuses. Only downside is the post gas flow on 2t mode, farken spews excess gas after finishing the weld.

Alloy ac tig is tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Wouldn't suggest getting an AC tig unless you are well practised in tig welding or have access to someone who can teach you.