Monolift J Hook Attachments

Skeletor

So got these made up and took them into gym to test out today. Perfect fit to the rack and really solid piece of equipment.  Basically they are designed to eliminate the walkout of a squat and the hand out of a bench by swinging inward toward the rack after you lift off. ( No walkouts in GPC )  The price was $550 Inc which I thought very reasonable, especially compared to a lot of other speciality equipment I've purchased. Haven't tested them under max load yet but I can't see an issue under 300kg .  Will post update with a 250 plus lift to sign off on overall opinion. 

20160901_135739.png

I had some made too at the start of the year from Alan kissick. They were $200 shipped each arm is rated to 300kg. The concept is good but in reality they aren't a substitute for a mono lift really cause you can't get as tight as you could in an actual monolift or a rack. So when you get under the bar and push against it it just swings. $550 is getting up there for what it is. Just my opinion.

It is hard to do unless you have a pin that someone would need to pull out but if that were the case then may as well get them to just push the rack forward when you stand the weight up. They work off a counter balancing weight so without assistance of other people getting them to stop swinging is hard. The swing is what makes them mimic the monolift.

53 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I had some made too at the start of the year from Alan kissick. They were $200 shipped each arm is rated to 300kg. The concept is good but in reality they aren't a substitute for a mono lift really cause you can't get as tight as you could in an actual monolift or a rack. So when you get under the bar and push against it it just swings. $550 is getting up there for what it is. Just my opinion.

I had Alan looking at some but he can't do it anymore due to leaving where he was. I'm not sure what you mean by swing.  I lock in and push straight upwards and it doesn't swing at all until I unrack . Can imagine if you're pushing forwards or backward it would though. Only did a quick single at 200 as didn't have belt or sleeves but thought it was mint . It's more about getting foot and body placement correct for me so when I come to use mono under weight I don't tip like previously. Considering the price I've paid for some of the pieces of crap from Getstrength I'm happy with it .

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

It is hard to do unless you have a pin that someone would need to pull out but if that were the case then may as well get them to just push the rack forward when you stand the weight up. They work off a counter balancing weight so without assistance of other people getting them to stop swinging is hard. The swing is what makes them mimic the monolift.

yeah i was thinking of using a pin. didnt realise they swung by themselves, thought someone had to pull top bits

So you know how a monolift works where you unrack the bar and a handler pulls a lever which pulls the hooks out of the way so you can squat in place? Well these work on a counter balance so when you unrack the hooks swing forward and out of the way.  The only thing ill change on them is adding plastic to protect bar knurling and if I have any problems with it swinging when setting up like Tom had with his simply fit a stop bolt above pivot bolt . 

Don't get me wrong. It is a clever good piece of kit just not perfect. But what's a mono going to cost you 6x what you paid. I think the guys who made the gpc mono lift did it for just over $3000. And then there is the space factor, monolifts take up a lot of room for what they are. So good on ya man. Should help you a lot.

3 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Aren't you a tradey Skeletor? I thought you could have fissed that up

Yeah I don't have a laser cutter though and tbh I'd rather pay somebody else to make them lol.  Ill do the little alterations myself like the plastic and if required the back stop bolt to keep it locked before I unrack but yeah .  Next purchase will be a deadlift bar.

Oxy or even a cheap plasma cutter would be fine for that thickness steel. Could even do it with angle grinder but you'd go through a few cutting discs. Oxy and plasma cutter next on my list of shit to buy.

I'm going to make all my own gym shit up when I decide to live somewhere permanently as all the cheap stuff is crap and all the good stuff is a massive rip off.

Might have a crack at making some 80kg dbs up  soon and leave them in gym as annoying ones gym has only go to 70kg. Doubt most of the pussies at my gym could even lift them properly to steal them.

Tested them up to 240 today . Bit of a shock to the system going heavier after conditioning for so long lol. Anyway they handle sweet so far and don't think I'll need the backstop bolt added yet but maybe under max load ill know more. Did have to learn to back into them a bit as when I was close and squatted I was still quite close to the hooks so you wouldn't want to hit them coming back up. Plastic is needed to protect some bars knurling but luckily not this one. Overall I give them a 8.5 out of ten. If I was selling them I'd just chuck in a 6mm backstop bolt and plastic around the hooks. 

33 minutes ago, maccaz said:

i thought theyre rated to 400 or so? 

also skele did you delete your instagram?

I think each bolt is 180 or something but not sure I'd want to be standing under them relaxed with over 300 and have bolt snap haha. Yeah just suspended that and Facebook after making my Mrs friend cry with my opinion on a sensitive topic. Got pretty heated, didn't talk to Mrs for 3 days , almost left. Not tren related ?

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

I think each bolt is 180 or something but not sure I'd want to be standing under them relaxed with over 300 and have bolt snap haha. Yeah just suspended that and Facebook after making my Mrs friend cry with my opinion on a sensitive topic. Got pretty heated, didn't talk to Mrs for 3 days , almost left. Not tren related ?

She picked you over the lady-friend, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/2/2016 at 10:04 PM, PETN said:

Oxy or even a cheap plasma cutter would be fine for that thickness steel. Could even do it with angle grinder but you'd go through a few cutting discs. Oxy and plasma cutter next on my list of shit to buy.

,@PETN Hey mate I've been in the engineering game for 15-20years, just a word of advice , Don't waste your time with a cheap plasma cutter mate I've been down that road, a cheap plasma won't cut anything heavier than 6mm , anything heavier and you will start popping fuses and hitting thermal overload. The other thing to keep in mind is whether you have a air compressor that can keep up enough constant pressure to feed the plasma.

Hey bro I've got a 40A one and it's adequate for cutting through 10mm mild steel. You're correct that it trips the fuse though when using it at 40A when the compressor kicks in which is a pain in the arse but I'm looking at getting a decent generator as even my welder trips the fuse when using it at 175A on thicker materials.

I've got a couple of questions for you though which you may or may not be able to answer:

1) I'm looking at making a bit of stuff out of aluminum alloy. Is MIG using appropriate alloy wire and argon adequate or should I go drop a couple of grand on an AC TIG machine?

2) Going to buy a mag drill and want something decent. Size/weight is a non issue as will buy a compact one as well if I need it. Looking at getting the below (BDS MAB 825). I plan on using it for drilling holes and tapping threads so need something reversible for the thread tapping. I want something which will meet and exceed all of my foreseeable requirements.

http://www.capitalequipment.net.au/product/bds-mab825-magnetic-base-drill/

Good brand and decent value in your opinion? Reckon it's worth getting the model with the lockable swivel base or is better to keep it simple?

@PETN

Theres too many variables for me to answer you properly.

Are these for use on site, or workshop? In what capacity/frequency will it be used?  Generator/power output? Three phase or single phase? What's your budget? Etc etc etc etc.....

Once again, I'm not sure of your situation, tig skill level etc, or what you want to weld. Assuming you have a 175amp mig, I'd try ally wire and argon FIRST and see how it goes before blowing a tonne of cash on something you may not need.  

Keep in mind you will probably need to change your rollers and the torch liner as well.

I'll get back to you about the Mag drill, I've never had to buy one, but have used shitloads of them on the job. Swivel bases are handy but again, I don't know what you are drilling and tapping

If you do get wire and gas, feel free to hit me up if you need any advice in regards to alloy mig