Chasing that total

Bigken1985

Time for a new log

Made a total of 552.5 at raw nationals. Have a fair bit of experience at pl now, which does help me keep my cool and make rational decisions with attempts. My goal is 580-600 and I won't be stepping back on the platform until I know I can do it. Going to stay 93s as just never going to be competitive in 105s. 

Going to really work on building weak points as that seems to have held back my squat and dead. 

Mon 29/8/16

Front squat (harness ) flat shoes

Barx10

60x5

80x3

100x3

120x3

140x3 (pb I think)

120x4

100x3x5

Wide stance ssb good morning 

55x6

75x3x6

Barbell glute bridge

60x3x10-12

Hanging knee raise

2x20

Solid session. Pretty strong for first day back. The harness allows more weight to be moved. Only downside is its a bit bit. Still better than wrecking arms trying to hold the bar. Going to really attack the posterior , especially good mornings

Thurs 1/9/16

SSB box squats with bands

Barx couple sets

55x3

75x3

Add bands

X3

95x 8setsx2

Deficit SLDL

3 x 12

Standing hamstring curl 

4x12

Biceps for few sets

Ab  wheel

12/15/15

Loving training atm. Trying new things, doing biceps every day atm lol. Hammers and posterior are sore as too. 

16 minutes ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

im no expert but isnt it recommended to stay tight at bottom on box squat? or are you keeping tight but it just looks like u relaxing when you leaning back like that?

My tech prob isint perfect but you are supposed to sit back into the box to unload the hips. I'm still staying tight

Mon 5/9/16

Beltless deficit dl 

60x5

100x3

120x3

140x3

160x2

180x2

200x2

210x1

180x3x3

Barbell hip thrusts

60kg 4x10

Lat pull down

3x20

Hammer curls

3x30

Solid session. Core was feeling it big time. Happpretty much first time doing these. Happy with with getting 210 relatively easy. 

Brought a inzer bench shirt that should arrive today. Hopefully it fits. Might have a play weds when my mate comes over to give me a hand

Weds 7/9/16

Max effort bench

2bd press

Bar few 

40x5

60x5

80x4

100x2

120x2

130x1

140x1

142.5x1

145 xnope 

Red slingshot 

140x1

145x1

SSB Pause squat

115  3x3

Was going to have a go in bench shirt but It hasn't arrived yet. Need to work on tightness in bench. Always trying to improve 

Thurs 8/9/16

Bench shirt work

Barx10

40x5

60x5

80x4

100x2

Put shirt on

120 x1bd

130 x2bd

140x 1nd

150x 1bd  (miss grooved couldn't press it)

150x 2bd 

150x1bd 

155x2bd

That was painful and fun I guess. Bit of a buzz tbh. Took a bit to find any sort of groove. Still wasn't perfect but still ok for a first go

With a bench shirt... doesn't that mostly help with the press off the chest and dimishing assistance at the mid to lock out? So it's negligible how much it's giving with board presses. Although I could see there's a big difference between 1 board and 2. Be great to overload your lockout I imagine. 

4 hours ago, HarryB said:

With a bench shirt... doesn't that mostly help with the press off the chest and dimishing assistance at the mid to lock out? So it's negligible how much it's giving with board presses. Although I could see there's a big difference between 1 board and 2. Be great to overload your lockout I imagine. 

agree, i always wondered why the big equipped benchers do so much board work, but i guess yeah its to overload the lockout because thats the bit they need to be strongest at as gives the least shirt assistance

@soundsgood will know more

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

I understand it in the sense that you gradually reduce the boards to increase the range of motion with a weight you can't shift full range. Just the shirt seems like a pointless addition BUT if you're gonna lift in a shirt you need to train in the shirt. 

It's really just a bit of fun tbh. Don't think I'll compete in it. I have heard of instances where it does help guys raw bench numbers, which would be nice. It actually wasn't that hard to get down to the 1bd and I recon I could get to chest easy enough. Just need more practice grooving it. I tried 150 first time around and pressed it in my raw groove. Went nowhere. I found it pretty fun and bit of a buzz. Pretty hard work, can def say the shirt don't do all the work lol

The boards allow you to train with different loads and intensities in the bench shirt. They help you to learn the shirt and let you get a touch with different weights on the bar. Learning the shirt and the path to bench is so important. It allows you to build a program around your shirt which is very important. It pointless just maxing in your shirt all the time and hoping for the best.

For a novice equipped bencher there is usually a small range in weight on the bar by which a full rom bench press is acheivable. Any heavier the lifter will be able to touch the chest but won't be able to lock out. Any lighter and the lifter won't be able to get a touch on the chest. I remember a member here who was new to a shirt doing equipped bench and he couldn't touch a weight to the chest and 10kg heavier and he couldn't lock it out. So rather than benching and pausing in thin air, the boards let you get a touch in different ranges making training safer, better and more specific.

of course there is the overload aspect for raw benching too with bench assist slings.

The guys I train with occasionally in whakatane do a lot of board work and I have learnt so much from them and seen great return on it.

On 09/09/2016 at 6:20 PM, Realtalk said:

The boards allow you to train with different loads and intensities in the bench shirt. They help you to learn the shirt and let you get a touch with different weights on the bar. Learning the shirt and the path to bench is so important. It allows you to build a program around your shirt which is very important. It pointless just maxing in your shirt all the time and hoping for the best.

For a novice equipped bencher there is usually a small range in weight on the bar by which a full rom bench press is acheivable. Any heavier the lifter will be able to touch the chest but won't be able to lock out. Any lighter and the lifter won't be able to get a touch on the chest. I remember a member here who was new to a shirt doing equipped bench and he couldn't touch a weight to the chest and 10kg heavier and he couldn't lock it out. So rather than benching and pausing in thin air, the boards let you get a touch in different ranges making training safer, better and more specific.

of course there is the overload aspect for raw benching too with bench assist slings.

The guys I train with occasionally in whakatane do a lot of board work and I have learnt so much from them and seen great return on it.

I do think raw benchers can be abit wierd with boards and shirts. It's like a Raw purist thing. More than one person I have talked to have seen gains go their raw bench from a shirt due to the overload. Slingshot just isint the same

I just don't think they understand the concept of it properly bro. I didn't really until I had it explained to me and did it with people who knew what they were doing. I still think it's really important people build a base to their raw bench press first before trying all this out. Hey man, you got a shirt so go to town in it and look forward to following it like usual 

21 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I just don't think they understand the concept of it properly bro. I didn't really until I had it explained to me and did it with people who knew what they were doing. I still think it's really important people build a base to their raw bench press first before trying all this out. Hey man, you got a shirt so go to town in it and look forward to following it like usual 

Yeah agree with you. You can't play with this stuff too soon.and if you do bench shirted you can't just do no raw work. Cause your raw may then go to shit