Pretending to Powerlift

LilGrizz

Yo guys, 

Bit of a closet forum member. Been lurking around for a while and know a few people from forums in real life. Decided to come out of the woods and use this as a place to record all my training etc etc.

Quick few notes: Powerlifting a couple of years, always been fit and done a mix of exercise stuffs. Best lifts in comp are 172.5/120/245 @ 79.9kg

Feel free to follow or not. 

Training from tonight:

Seated BarbellShoulder Press -

20kg x10 

30kg x10

40kg x8

50kg x3

62.5kg x7 (PB)

65kg x4

burn sets

Tricep Dips - 

bw x 10 x2

20kg x 10

30kg x10

bw x fail x2

DB Laterals and Rear Delts 3 x12

Vid from tonight

Average session. Didn't go the way I planned. Was away over weekend, 13 hours of travelling, a birthday party, shit food etc etc my own fault. Always good to have Snr Grizz talk some sense into me.

8/8/2016

Bench

20kg x20

40kg x10

60kg x10 x 2

80kg x3

95kg x 5

105kg x3

117.5kg miss

Annoyed as shit at that 117.5 attempt. Controlled down felt fine, pressed off chest then didn't move. Felt slight twang in left elbow but fine now. Tried 110 straight after cos mad as fk but same shit.

Anyway, went to do incline DBs, thought f*ck that and pyramid back up on bench to another 105x2.

Will sort eating out and smash it for next 3 weeks.

Diet for those who care for next 3 weeks:

1. 1 cup oats with berries, 200ml milk and 3 eggs scrambled

2. 1-1 1/2 cup rice, 190gm tuna, 1/2 cup brocoli

3. 1 cup oats, 200ml milk and 3 eggs

4. Shake - 1 banana, 1 tsp PB, 1 tsp honey, 200ml milk, 1 scoop protein, 1tsp creatine
5.  1 cup rice w/ 150-180gm chicken + salad

6. 1 scoop protein powder + cookies cos they're nice and stuff

46 minutes ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

are your measurements of rice before or after being cooked? you can bulk eating only that or is this a cutting diet for you?

After cooking bro. Hmm that's around 3100 cals once i add sauces etc which is enough for me to be in about a 200 cal surplus. I've gone 500 over before and usually end up putting on more fat than I'd like.  I think you'd be surprised at just how much food that all is if you cooked it up haha

Oats are a cup raw

Redemption today in Squats. Trained with my old man like usual. Good session, good headspace.

9/8/16

Warmup/mobility 10 mins

Squats - 

20kg x10

60kg x10

80kg x5

100kg x3 belt from here on

120kg x3

140kg x2

160kg x2 wraps and belt

Paused Squats - 

120kg for 1 (3 second pause)

100kg for 2 sets of 3 paused ( 3-4 sec count)

Eating was on point today, exactly what I wrote in post before. Felt strong and full.

Video of 160x2. First time using these wraps that I got from Realtalk (thanks again man). Felt good, will crank harder for squat next week and then really wind them up when I compete. 

For sure man. 3000-4000 of good food is quite a lot of food. if you eat McDonald's it's not but good food that's quite a volume.

that first squat was great and you still powered the second one up when your hips came up and pushed you over. That's common with wraps bro well new ones when you aren't used to it. Focus on sitting back so you're already in a good position to power out of the hole. I find if I don't sit back enough in wraps I get thrown forward for lack of a better explanation.

we will all kill it at nats.

26 minutes ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

nice dude. just got some wraps too gonna start trying to get used to them eventually prep for some big squats towards end of the year!

also thanks for confirming re. diet. wasn't tryna be smartass, genuinly trying to increase my own eating and lookin around to see how others eat.

Na not at all man wasn't assuming you were being a smart ass haha. Awesome. Go smash it :D

Upper Back Day

10/8/2016

Pendlay Rows - 

20kg x10

40kg x10

60kg x10

70kg x8

80kg x5

90kg x5

100kg x5 (PB)

60kg x12

60kg x5 slow contraction etc

Wide Grip Pull Ups - 

bw x5

5kg x5

8kg x5 3 sets

bw x5

Cable High Row 4 x 12

Close Grip Pulldowns 4 x 12

Bicep Curls 3 x 12

First time doing curls in like 3 months and probably won't do again for a while haha.

Eating the same. 3100ish cals

Great session today with my dad and mate.

11/8/2016

Seated Shoulder Press - 

20kg x10

30kg x10

40kg x8

50kg x5

60kg x3

70kg x1 PB

75kg x1 PB - this was an absolute grinder but so stoked. 7.5kg PB

60kg x8 rep PB

Dips - 

bw x15 for 5 sets

DB Side Raises 3x12

Rear Delt Flys 3x15

Stoked!

12/8/2016

Buzzing today, was tired as, had energy drink, sorted. Never use them or drink coffee so you can imagine the caffeine and guarana combo for me.

Deadlifts - 

60kg x10

100kg x5

120kg x3

140kg x3

160kg x3

190kg x1 (add belt)

215kg x1 (belt)

180kg x3

Sumo Stiff Leg Deadlifts -

60kg x10

80kg x10

100kg x8

Deadlift felt easy, strong through each part of movement. With calibrated plates and a deadlift bar rather than hex plates and broken olympic bar this will fly up as an opener.

3 hours ago, maccaz said:

Easy bro, those hex plates must be a hassle. 

Yeah man they aren't the best but we do what we can! Kinda like training from a very slight defecit and always gives me a surprise when I get to comp so not the end of the world haha.

15/8/2016

Good and bad session today. Shoulder wasn't feeling the best so gonna go see my physio who has brought me back from benching 60kg with massive pain to hitting near my peak again for a couple of massages before comp. Will be sweet then. 

Bench - 

warmup 22 press ups for the PTSD challenge + mobility etc

bar x12

40kg x10

60kg x10

60kg x8

80kg x5

100kg x1 (felt shit)

105kg x1 (felt even worse)

110kg x1 (got mad, made sure i set up nice and tight, flew up faster than 100)

115kg x1 (good enough rep, shoulder dropped and was a bit uncomfortable)

Incline DB Benchpress -

20kg x12

30kg x8

40kg x5

42.5kg x5

Flys 3x12

Nice and simple, last heavy workout before the comp. Rest of week will be light technique stuff then full deload no weights with some active recovery and mobility etc etc.

No vid cos go pro cut out during the one good rep (110) and 115 on phone was bad quality due to the way it uploads. Stupid technology. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, been really quiet for the last couple weeks. Was getting ready for UPANZ nationals...

So 6 weeks ago I did a novice comp and hit a 505kg total which really pissed me off. That was going to be my only comp for the year as I was focusing on work and a few other things happening etc etc. But 505 wasn't good enough so I set out to hit a good total at nats yesterday.

So here's a bit of a run down of how it went - 

Got to venue, weighed in at 74.8kg stripped down so lifting in the 75kg class. Sweet as didn't bother me much, just weigh in how I am on the day. Had a good feed in the morning, kept hydrated. Started warming up and things were feeling good.

Squat warm ups went to 140 for a single and that felt so mint and fast. Knew my opener of 160 was there. So I went 160, 170, 175 (personal best). 

After squats had another feed, lots of powerade etc. Bench up next. Was a bit freaked about bench as my shoulder has been my weak point for a while. Warmed up to a single of 95 paused. Attempts were 107.5, 112.5, 117.5 and all good! After this I was feeling amped as all hell, especially after failing 117.5kg touch and go 3 weeks ago.

Deadlift warm ups, up to 180kg for a faaaast single. Opened on 215 and that flew up better than even in the gym. Was going to take 235 for second and thought f it I want that 240. So 240 for second which was good too. 3rd attempt I had planned to go for 250 to equal my old man as a YOLO lift... 240 was pushing limits so went for 242.5 but not today haha.

So I ended up with 175/117.5/240 for a 532.5kg total @ 74.8kg bodyweight from 8/9 lifts. This equals a total I did at 80 kg last year. So a 5kg drop in weight (basically fat) and I hit the same total via 2.5kg up on squat and 2.5kg down on bench.

The plan for now is to take some time to grow into the 82.5 class again but less fat this time around. Will do deadlift comp at end of year to have a go at beating my old man in the rivalry. Big ups to him for all the training, coaching and mental prep for yesterday. Was one of my best performances yet.

Vid is 240 deadlift.

Nice one, man!

On 8/28/2016 at 4:30 PM, LilGrizz said:

So I ended up with 175/117.5/240 for a 532.5kg total @ 74.8kg bodyweight from 8/9 lifts. This equals a total I did at 80 kg last year. So a 5kg drop in weight (basically fat) and I hit the same total via 2.5kg up on squat and 2.5kg down on bench.

That's a really good insight into the sort of gains that can be expected, right? I think we all (myself included) often measure progress in terms of beginner gains, and are disappointed down the track when the rate of improvement slows. But as you say, even if the total remains the same, if your body weight is lower now, that's actually really good progress.

On 8/29/2016 at 10:32 PM, Pseudonym said:

Nice one, man!

That's a really good insight into the sort of gains that can be expected, right? I think we all (myself included) often measure progress in terms of beginner gains, and are disappointed down the track when the rate of improvement slows. But as you say, even if the total remains the same, if your body weight is lower now, that's actually really good progress.

Yeah for sure! I feel a whole lot better and more agile etc than when I just chucked on useless weight and as you said hitting same total at lower bodyweight is sweet as.

09/05/2016

Last week was a piss around after comp, just let the body rest etc.

For now the focus is a mainly hypertrophy with still strength training aspects to deadlift as I will do a deadlift only comp end of year.

Bench - 

20kg x15

40kg x10

60kg x10 x 2

85kg x10

90kg x10

95kg x9

Incline DB Press - 

30kg x8

35kg x8

37.5kg x8

20kg x15