Need some basic info from NZ people

I'm new here, forgive me if I don't know everything. having said that...

I want to get my bloods done. I have heard of people not bothering but to me that sounds pretty unsafe, I understand there are risks but I want to lower them as much as possible. I get most of my info from the net but most of it is overseas and not specific to NZ.

I lurked a bit and found these long lists of tests but then people jumped in and said most of them you didn't really need and the thread kind of devolved into an argument. So I am just looking for information from real users on what they actually get tested, when in the cycle do you get tested and where to get it done?

If I need to be specific about what I am taking, I haven't decided what I will take, it kind of depends on availablity. But it will be simple noob stuff, starting in the shallow end so to speak.

Liver & kidney functions, cholesterol & blood lipids, and blood pressure are probably the main health indicators tested for. Get base levels done prior to using anything then post cycle to see any adverse impacts. Could add thyroid / electrolytes to list. 

Some guys look at there test / estrogen / other hormone levels. Not a lot of point for most tho IMHO. 

3 hours ago, nate225 said:

Some guys look at there test / estrogen / other hormone levels. Not a lot of point for most tho IMHO.

Don't you want to get a baseline reading of testosterone, etc, before you start messing with it? That way, if anything does go wrong, you've at least got a basis for comparison. I agree that's the other tests are probably more  useful as direct health markers though.

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Don't you want to get a baseline reading of testosterone, etc, before you start messing with it? That way, if anything does go wrong, you've at least got a basis for comparison. I agree that's the other tests are probably more  useful as direct health markers though.

I agree this makes sense, particularly for those only wanting to do one or two cycles, however if you're in the game long term the assumption is that your natural test is gonna be fucked at the end of the day! A clued up 25 year old trying for high level competitive bodybuilding will understand he's probably signing up for HRT by 40!

The biggest concern around this is probably for young fellas, who don't think about next week let alone ten years in advance, when it comes to having kids. If someone's gonna commit to five to ten years gear use it'd be insurance to freeze some swimmers! Probably seems a bit OTT for young guys reading this but having seen a few ex-bodybuilders having to go through the drama of not being able to have children (and that impact on partners) it seems logical in retrospect.

Hopefully for most this wont be a problem, and/or HMG etc restarts things...

On 7/27/2016 at 8:55 PM, nate225 said:

Liver & kidney functions, cholesterol & blood lipids, and blood pressure are probably the main health indicators tested for. Get base levels done prior to using anything then post cycle to see any adverse impacts. Could add thyroid / electrolytes to list. 

Thanks. Where does someone get this done? I would prefer to keep my GP out of this for obvious reasons, even if it means more expense.

You can just rock up to like a local blood test place i.e Southern Community Labs down this way, and tell them what tests you want done. Why don't you want your GP involved out of curiosity? Embarrassed or otherwise? Most of them prefer that you tell them so they can help you minimize risk etc. They can't dob you in or anything lol. I told mine and they sorted blood tests etc which was great. They are also better at interpreting the results..

9 minutes ago, ratz99 said:

You can just rock up to like a local blood test place i.e Southern Community Labs down this way, and tell them what tests you want done. Why don't you want your GP involved out of curiosity? Embarrassed or otherwise? Most of them prefer that you tell them so they can help you minimize risk etc. They can't dob you in or anything lol. I told mine and they sorted blood tests etc which was great. They are also better at interpreting the results..

People often don't divulge this as it can have an impact on medical insurance claims. Catch 22 really, you'd like professional advice but don't want the risk of having the fact you're using non prescribed medicines on your record.

10 minutes ago, nate225 said:

People often don't divulge this as it can have an impact on medical insurance claims. Catch 22 really, you'd like professional advice but don't want the risk of having the fact you're using non prescribed medicines on your record.

Ah of course totally didn't think of this as I don't have medical insurance. Thanks for the info.

On 8/2/2016 at 3:47 PM, ratz99 said:

Dude I would love to have a doctor like yours. Mine is good and friendly but if I had to guess I would say he would tell me not to do it rather than minimize my risk.

17 hours ago, noobtraining said:

Dude I would love to have a doctor like yours. Mine is good and friendly but if I had to guess I would say he would tell me not to do it rather than minimize my risk.

Yeah I can understand bro. You'd be suprised though. At the end of the day they are there to look after your health, if they know you are gonna do it anyway you'd hope they'd at least try and be helpful. But yeah guess I got lucky as I went when I was a student and she was a friendly doctor. Unsure though. It really could go either way when you tell them. Personally I feel more comfortable talking to female doctor but just me. Just go for it man, the worst they'll say is no. 

6 hours ago, ratz99 said:

Yeah I can understand bro. You'd be suprised though. At the end of the day they are there to look after your health, if they know you are gonna do it anyway you'd hope they'd at least try and be helpful. But yeah guess I got lucky as I went when I was a student and she was a friendly doctor. Unsure though. It really could go either way when you tell them. Personally I feel more comfortable talking to female doctor but just me. Just go for it man, the worst they'll say is no. 

Cheers for the advice mate. Might mention it next time I see my doc.