24 hour weigh ins in powerlifting

Skeletor

Yeah some good replies here. I've just been weighing up whether I try and bulk up and do a water cut which I have no real experience with or just stick close to current weight and coast into weigh in like normal. Have just noticed a lot of the Australian lifters seem to do quite decent water cut and make weigh in alright and it doesn't seem to hinder their lifts. Of course i could try go full on and go to the 90s but I struggle to maintain weight and unless I was going to jump on a gram of test or something I don't think I'd do it. May as well use what rules my fed allows if everyone else does it. Of course if it changed to same day weigh in I'd still be happy. 

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Yeah some good replies here. I've just been weighing up whether I try and bulk up and do a water cut which I have no real experience with or just stick close to current weight and coast into weigh in like normal. Have just noticed a lot of the Australian lifters seem to do quite decent water cut and make weigh in alright and it doesn't seem to hinder their lifts. Of course i could try go full on and go to the 90s but I struggle to maintain weight and unless I was going to jump on a gram of test or something I don't think I'd do it. May as well use what rules my fed allows if everyone else does it. Of course if it changed to same day weigh in I'd still be happy. 

Tbh bro if you can put on a couple extra kg and still make weight with the 24 hour weigh in and it not effect your performance, sometimes it can help if you nail it cos your body will overcompensate and you'll be heavier again after reloading, you might as well.

It's in the rules, everyone else is likely to be doing it in your class, only putting yourself at a disadvantage weighing less than you potentially could.

Lilley will help you with it heaps, he is a nutritionist as his day job so just listen to him and you'll be fine, it's not too hard, especially if it's only a couple kilo.

1 hour ago, Monarchking said:

Do most athletes practice the weight cuts in training a few times before implementing it, or usually just have a crack and get better each comp?

If you're not sure you can practice it, maybe for a regional comp or something. I dunno about everyone else but I think mostly people just have a rough idea of what they can do, try it and then yea improve on it each time you do it and see where you can push it too.

3 minutes ago, maccaz said:

lol!

thats nuts, why even have a weigh in

Well the father of a certain powerlifting dynasty recently did that by weighing about 320lbs in the 275lb class which promoted a certain powerlifting rankings website to not recognise lifts done in that federation.

As for the 48hr weigh in? So you can claim the 75kg class all time records while weighing 90kg at 5'5.

48 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Well the father of a certain powerlifting dynasty recently did that by weighing about 320lbs in the 275lb class which promoted a certain powerlifting rankings website to not recognise lifts done in that federation.

Did he cut that much weight or do you mean he didn't even weigh in? I'm guessing the latter

12 minutes ago, PETN said:

Did he cut that much weight or do you mean he didn't even weigh in? I'm guessing the latter

if its the one im remembering from all the facebook drama, noone actually saw him weigh in lol

pretty convenient really, just write whatever number you want, save the trouble of cutting etc. i'd prob do alright at 82.5 if i write that, apart from that @Skeletor freak 

2 hours ago, PETN said:

Didn't weigh in, and absolutely could not have made the 275lb limit given he appeared to be his usual, full 320lbs on comp day. 

58 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Didn't weigh in, and absolutely could not have made the 275lb limit given he appeared to be his usual, full 320lbs on comp day. 

Did anything come from that e.g. A confession or anything or did it just go away with time ? 

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

Doesn't that just happen in bodybuilding? I didn't realize powerlifters weren't the fine upstanding moral stalwarts I'd assumed. How disappointing...

Powerlifting is the new bodybuilding perhaps? Certainly been seeing lots of FB posts of PLers thanking each other and it seems like a pretty trendy thing to be doing atm in aus

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Lol what a fucking joke.

7 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

the lifts at the meet were not recorded and the meet results were wiped.

Good. Is that same comp he didn't lock out his deadlift and did a half squat?

22 minutes ago, PETN said:

Maybe it's those specific wraps that stop him hitting depth...has anyone else on here tried them?

Iv used. They are sweet. Wraps don't stop you hitting depth. Choosing a weight you can't squat properly stops you and so does stopping half way down. That's a weak excuse. I find they make it feel like you have hit deity sooner than without them. But if you know this then you just keep fucking going down.