UFC and positive tests

Realtalk

So I think the proper drug testing was brought into the ufc about a year ago? And they have already had 9 or 10 positive tests and mostly from big names. Why are the athletes not getting it? And do people even care? Seems to me like they should just abolish testing in the ufc altogether because the fans don't seem to really be too bothered if someone fails a test either. I remember the MLB (baseball) and when they had the big drug scandal and positive tests the fan numbers and bums on seats dropped off majorly. Why not the same in the ufc? Do people not really care?

the world went crazy over sharapova. I know the sports are on different levels as far as popularity goes but still..

what do you guys think?

5 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

So I think the proper drug testing was brought into the ufc about a year ago? And they have already had 9 or 10 positive tests and mostly from big names. Why are the athletes not getting it? And do people even care? Seems to me like they should just abolish testing in the ufc altogether because the fans don't seem to really be too bothered if someone fails a test either. I remember the MLB (baseball) and when they had the big drug scandal and positive tests the fan numbers and bums on seats dropped off majorly. Why not the same in the ufc? Do people not really care?

the world went crazy over sharapova. I know the sports are on different levels as far as popularity goes but still..

what do you guys think?

i guess compared to the MLB its a different era, ad there were a heap of US senators pushing the issue real hard. Sharapova, well its just a different type of fan watching tennis

Do people not watch UFC to see people get savagely beaten? too see freaks? As long as they are entertaining I don't think to many people care they aren't trying to get into the Olympics are they ? 

Not sure why they test though.. 

I don't really watch UFC but a lad a work showed me a pic of Cyborgs fractured skull that shit is brutal not something I would like to watch  

Just now, jimmybro1 said:

Do people not watch UFC to see people get savagely beaten? too see freaks? As long as they are entertaining I don't think to many people care they aren't trying to get into the Olympics are they ? 

Not sure why they test though.. 

I don't really watch UFC but a lad a work showed me a pic of Cyborgs fractured skull that shit is brutal not something I would like to watch  

Whats the Olympics got to do with anything? Drug testing isn't exclusive to the games, it's about a level playing field. Cheating is cheating. Yes we want to see freaks and people getting smashed but if you have a drug testing policy then it's about making it fair.

It'll be interesting to see how it affects the upcoming bouts. I'm not a fan of the testing but it's interesting to note someone just got popped on ghrp6 so it's very comprehensive. I think the fighters who get popped just try and beat the system and it seems that just isn't happening with USADA. 

5 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Whats the Olympics got to do with anything? Drug testing isn't exclusive to the games, it's about a level playing field. Cheating is cheating. Yes we want to see freaks and people getting smashed but if you have a drug testing policy then it's about making it fair.

The UFC don't care about even playing field they care about $$$$ 

Why else to you think everything gets brushed aside. They are not part of WADA or any drug testing agency are they? 

7 minutes ago, Bigken1985 said:

i guess compared to the MLB its a different era, ad there were a heap of US senators pushing the issue real hard. Sharapova, well its just a different type of fan watching tennis

It's not really a different era. I think Baseball has a rich history just like the Olympics. People seem to take cheating more seriously in those kind of sports. Maybe the infancy of the ufc is working to its advantage in regard to this..

Just now, jimmybro1 said:

The UFC don't care about even playing field they care about $$$$ 

Why else to you think everything gets brushed aside. They are not part of WADA are they? 

Usada is connected to wada so the ufc invited the most stringent testing protocols upon their athletes. If the UFC just cared about $$$ they wouldn't have done that. Jon Jones would have beat DC and everyone would just be better lol

Just now, Realtalk said:

It's not really a different era. I think Baseball has a rich history just like the Olympics. People seem to take cheating more seriously in those kind of sports. Maybe the infancy of the ufc is working to its advantage in regard to this..

Partly that and partly the fact that we almost expect fighters to use drugs so it's not as shocking when we hear they do vs those clean mainstream sportsmen and women. 

8 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I think you are right, Americans get very patriotic, and those kind of sports are ingrained in their culture, and if they see it as cheating all hell will break loose

8 minutes ago, tyreguy said:

How do you punish someone caught testing positive in UFC?That can surely deter them, eg: if you hand them a 1.5year ban or whatver 

Would this really concern  the athlete that tested P?, like financially?

Loss of sponsors and fight earnings hell yeah it would when you consider these days most of the guys are just fighters so if they're not fighting they're not making anything. Suck to be part of their team if you're working off percentage of winnings etc etc etc I just read something today saying that even when they their earnings go into an account for a certain period of time so if they fail or there are any issues then the UFC can withhold final payment. 

Fighters are required to undergo a drug testing protocol 4 months prior to a bout. Lesnar was granted an exemption from that.... Why? Probably because he put it as a clause in his contract and the ufc saw $$$ so rolled with it. But it's not fair and Mark has a fair point. The other thing I think is disgraceful is lesnar going on about how he was sick in his last ufc contract and has been sick all along etc... Im sorry but when you are juicing your head off you lose all right to cry for sympathy from fans and use it as a kind of "imagine how good id be if I wasn't sick" type statement. 

its retarded.