Interest in Live-Streaming of Competitions

samvisky

Hey Everyone,

Was wondering how much interest everyone thought there was for live-streaming of various NZ competitions - powerlifting, strongman etc. ? I know it's starting to happen a bit with some comps, but whether people thought that there was room to expand this and have one destination that has regular live content on it?

As background, I'm apart of Spalk (www.spalk.co) and we work with broadcasters as well as a lot of different sporting orgs to help them with livestreaming so we can plug in our commentary tool. 

Have spoken to a few different gyms/fitness bodies that are keen. Would be interested to hear if people thought that this was something they would watch or any orgs/gyms etc. that would be keen on live streaming their own competitions. 

Cheers

Our main tool is our software that allows anyone from anywhere to commentate on that live stream delivered in synch. 

So one stream might have 5, 10 etc commentaries on the  side of that game. Think of commentaries for different languages, different levels of knowledge of the sport and even just arm-chair critics. On average we've increased audience sizes by ~38% because people are more engaged in the live stream, promoting themselves commentating, targeting different groups etc. 

The other part was to see the interest in having one destination to host a range of content since discovery across Youtube, Facebook Live etc can be difficult unless are you are looking for one particular event. 

Interesting concept.

I certainly see it being popular with powerlifting, strongman - maybe even bodybuilding. Live streaming is already pretty common with the powerlifters, so you don't need to sell them on the idea... just your particular product. 

Having said that, I think your problem would be that even if there was huge interest within the sports, the sports themselves are so niche that they still may not produce much in terms of actual viewer numbers.

Crossfit comps might be more fruitful though?

10 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Having said that, I think your problem would be that even if there was huge interest within the sports, the sports themselves are so niche that they still may not produce much in terms of actual viewer numbers.

Crossfit comps might be more fruitful though?

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you are right that each event by itself will not have large viewing numbers, though I think an aggregation of multiple events in one space would help with that.

Yep talking with a few crossfit event organisers, there is definetly an interest from them to continue exposing their gyms/sport to new audiences etc.

5 hours ago, PETN said:

Tbh the idea sounds a lot like cam4.com etc. And following on from what pseudonym said I'd say that would be the area where the real money is to be made from such a site if you're trying to profit from it (are you?)

Think you might have got me banned from my work network following that link haha.

I can't see any profit coming from it for some time. It's primary interest for us would be to have more people commentating/more content for people to commentate over which the talent we can migrate to broadcasters content. As well as continuing to grow our name etc.

Obviously if we were are able to bring a lot of  eyeballs there is some money to be made, if that was the case, we would look to be giving a cut to event organisers. 

Yeah, I guess it's just about bring as many contributors to the table as you can.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but what about Auckland Rugby (and the other regions too)? They recently launched their "1st XV TV" channel, and it's been pretty popular I think. And I reckon school kids would jump at the chance to narrate a game - probably make it quite funny too. I reckon that's a winner if you could pull it off.