BCAA Testing: Popular Brands All FAIL

Daz69

Something some of you may have missed on other boards recently, but brands including Muscle Milk, Syntha 6 and Optimum all failed recent BCAA testing, some by massive amounts.

This is on top of the now rather well-known and notorious protein scam (amino spiking) operated by a number of expensive brands in recent years.

You can read the paper abstract here: http://www.fasebj.org/content/29/1_S...t/559.25#aff-1

Alternatively, you can read Anthony Roberts short summary which includes some of the results.

https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/muscle-milk-syntha-6-isoflex-cellucor-and-optimum-nutritions-proteins-tested-for-bcaa-content-1bbd05ebf23#.vv7904jds

21 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Man, is ANY supplement actually real?

Is this relevant to bodybuilding? I mean we all get that supplements are just a means to fund the things that really build muscle lolol  ;)

Just kidding bit the industry is taking a fucken hiding lately

1 hour ago, nate225 said:

Is this relevant to bodybuilding? I mean we all get that supplements are just a means to fund the things that really build muscle lolol  ;)

Just kidding bit the industry is taking a fucken hiding lately

good post lol.

i have taken various otc supps on and off and try my hardest to notice them but 0% of the time have i noticed any benefit from any of them. absolutely nothing.

i guess the real gains are to be had in selling the supps and using the profit to buy steroids like you said 

Further to the ongoing protein spiking scam, another 70 powders recently failed testing, some by as much as 80%! Have a read >

Seventy Protein Powder Lab Tests: BPI, MHP, Weider, and more FAIL

A South African pharmacy chain, Dischem, recently tested 70 leading protein powders. Well…they tested 70 protein powders that qualify as leading in South Africa. If you’re from The U.S. of A., some of their names will be unfamiliar to you.

Actually, if you’re from the U.S., you’re probably wondering who Dischem is…

They’re a large pharmacy chain in South Africa, founded in 1978, and currently operating about 400 (+/-) locations with a 15% marketshare. They also sell sports supplements (basically there like CVS or Walgreens here in the ‘states).

So now that you who they are, here are the results from Dischem’s testing that I found most interesting :

• BPI Whey HD contained 44.38% less protein than label claims
  • MHP Up Your Mass contained 19.34% less protein than the label claimed, but their Paleo Protein had 5.26% more protein than the label claim
  • MuscleMeds “failed” the test by virtue of not having accurate labels, but that’s because their Carnivore Mass product contained 13.7% more protein than stated and Carnivore contained 9.31% more
  • Weider 100% Whey Isolate Protein contained 12.98% less protein than label claims
  • BSN’s Syntha 6 contained 7.28% less protein than the label claim, butTrue Mass contained 2.39% more
  • Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Whey contained 6.21% less protein than the label claimed (two other ON products contained about 5% less protein than the label claim — so remember, here in a 20g serving we are talking about a gram of difference, give or take)

The biggest disaster was a South African brand, Supplements SA, which had two separate products register a protein content of that was under the stated label claims by 77.41 and 51.86%

The full set of tests are below :

https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/seventy-protein-powder-lab-tests-bpi-mhp-muscle-meds-weider-and-more-fail-e6775135f143#.3qh6vu6b0