Correct spotting of the squat.

Skeletor

Haha I just think it's stupid to have a safer technology and not use it - do you not agree? That's like having roll cages in only some of the world rallys or fire proof racing suits in only some drag races... if it's safer and better, use it. Walking out doesn't make someone tougher.. just an opinion :D

1 minute ago, donz said:

Haha I just think it's stupid to have a safer technology and not use it - do you not agree? That's like having roll cages in only some of the world rallys or fire proof racing suits in only some drag races... if it's safer and better, use it. Walking out doesn't make someone tougher.. just an opinion :D

i agree walkout doesnt make you tougher, but it eliminates people like zahir unracking squats they have no hope of making, but trying anyway.

i feel like if you manage the walkout ok theres a pretty good chance you're good squat it, at least better than if you just unrack it and stand there shaking to f*ck, then attempt to squat it.

i can probably unrack 300+ from mono but no way i would be going anywhere but directly down with it, i couldnt walk out 300.

Walking out doesn't make you manlier but it makes you stronger. Isn't the idea to be stronger. And yes I get it a dude using a mono can squat more than if he had to walk out but a guy walking out with the same weight is just stronger. Kind of like how a guy doing a conventional deadlift is actually stronger than a guy doing the same weight sumo. For competition sake the I understand using the monolift. Especially regarding lifter safety. But in my opinion a walked out squat is just more impressive. Competition aside. What are we looking at for gpc this year? A 375 squat or there abouts from Hamish? Impressive as hell. But be more impressive if he walked it out. 

18 minutes ago, maccaz said:

i agree walkout doesnt make you tougher, but it eliminates people like zahir unracking squats they have no hope of making, but trying anyway.

i feel like if you manage the walkout ok theres a pretty good chance you're good squat it, at least better than if you just unrack it and stand there shaking to f*ck, then attempt to squat it.

i can probably unrack 300+ from mono but no way i would be going anywhere but directly down with it, i couldnt walk out 300.

Powerlifting as I mentioned already is about the lift - you don't fucking walk out a dead lift so why would you have to walk out a squat? And yes Tom, it does make it harder because you're holding a giant weight on your back and neck area and walking in an un-natural direction... BACKWARDS I don't care if it's 100kg or 1000kg it makes no sense to unrack a weight and then walk backwards with it on your back when the object of the lift is to go from top to bottom and then back to top again. This is my opinion and that is yours. You do realise you can walk a lift out from the monolift right? Im pretty sure when I saw you squatting in comp on the mono, Tom you didn't walk it out. Chris at Nationals, why don't you walk it out? f*ck Zahir bro, shove your 260kg in his face, hes weak as shit bro, you got dis man!

ROFL! Nah but seriously you're both so anti what I'm saying you should both walk it out in your next comps when you're on a mono. Actually

LOL

3 minutes ago, donz said:

Powerlifting as I mentioned already is about the lift - you don't fucking walk out a dead lift so why would you have to walk out a squat? And yes Tom, it does make it harder because you're holding a giant weight on your back and neck area and walking in an un-natural direction... BACKWARDS I don't care if it's 100kg or 1000kg it makes no sense to unrack a weight and then walk backwards with it on your back when the object of the lift is to go from top to bottom and then back to top again. This is my opinion and that is yours. You do realise you can walk a lift out from the monolift right? Im pretty sure when I saw you squatting in comp on the mono, Tom you didn't walk it out. Chris at Nationals, why don't you walk it out? f*ck Zahir bro, shove your 260kg in his face, hes weak as shit bro, you got dis man!

ROFL! Nah but seriously you're both so anti what I'm saying you should both walk it out in your next comps when you're on a mono. Actually

LOL

reasonable reaction proportionate to thread content, not allowed to walk out i already asked, as im yet to practice in a mono (will this weekend) 

to be clear i 100% think there needs to be more safety on squats

Gpcnz banned walking out from the monolift. It's against the rules. That's probably why I didn't walk it out. I told them I thought it was unfair because only people who are friends with court could access the monolift for practise. This was before it moved. I walk out every lift I do in the gym because I don't have a mono, so o prefer that. Oh well in upanz everyone has to walk out so it suits me.

7 minutes ago, maccaz said:

reasonable reaction proportionate to thread content, not allowed to walk out i already asked, as im yet to practice in a mono (will this weekend) 

to be clear i 100% think there needs to be more safety on squats

How about power racks with really long adjustable safety rails? lol

4 minutes ago, donz said:

It was only banned this year champ, you were squatting back in 2014, so was I. Should have walked it out.

I did walk the squat out in 2014 at nationals. I squatted 272.5 and walked it back a step each foot. You have got a better memory of my lifts that I do it seems. You a big fan or something?

1 minute ago, Realtalk said:

I did walk the squat out in 2014 at nationals. I squatted 272.5 and walked it back a step each foot. You have got a better memory of my lifts that I do. You a big fan or something?

I am actually a fan of your lifting, its impressive. Almost as impressive as your inability to let things go. Living in the past, all that rage and vengeance bro, it's gotta be bad for your health. No one can be as mad as you all the time and enjoy life.

1 minute ago, donz said:

I just found it weird that people in a fed where the equipment is a mono would be so pro-choice for walking out - could always go IPF...

I just like to compete how I train. You know like squatting to depth all the time etc.. I don't have a monolift unfortunately.

Just now, Realtalk said:

I just like to compete how I train. You know like squatting to depth all the time etc.. I don't have a monolift unfortunately.

Ya know, like dead lifting with straps

Just now, Realtalk said:

Lol I'm not the one dropping my deadlift at the comps bro.. Didn't you drop your last one?

What you gonna total this year? 120/200/325?

Not competing this year, I never said I compete like I train and it wasn't a grip problem it was calluses tearing off - maybe if I stroked own ego as much as you my hands would be conditioned better. That's about the best you can do though right? Sling shit at someone on the forums because your feelings get a bit hurt haha! Classic Tom.

5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Does deadlifting with straps change the mechanics of the movement? It makes sense to want to compete under the same circumstances and using a mono if you've been training with a walkout is a big difference in mechanics. 

it does for me. not a huge deal but i can pull much better without straps, than with, apart from the weak hands.

1 minute ago, PETN said:

When taking a shit do you guys drop your pants first then take couple of steps back to toilet then squat or get in position then drop pants and squat down?

a good question. i had to think about it for a sec,. i think i use more of a monolift technique than a walk out technique

when i hurt my back and could barely walk i had to use a kind of controlled lowering with hands on basin and wall, i suppose like a dip/squat hybrid.

1 minute ago, maccaz said:

it does for me. not a huge deal but i can pull much better without straps, than with, apart from the weak hands.

I use straps on rep work too ( ironically I didnt use them the prep I tore calluses ), hahaha I have nothing against it... was just saying if you're going to say "I train like I compete" then you shouldn't lie :P