Training sumo for conventional pull?

So there is alot of talk out there of pulling sumo to help your conventional pull. Personally i have seen zero carry over doing this, . Fact is im strongest when i just hammer conventional. Guess what im saying is i think the deadlift is best where doing your comp stance majority of the time, plus sumo is ghey 

I think using the secondary deadlift as a lighter assistance movement has worked well for me. I only deadlift once a week. So I always start with conventional then I do a stiff legged variation of a sumo deadlift as my secondary lift on that day which I do in leiu of something like good mornings.

I am of the thinking that if I was so do a variation of conventional afterwards such as a pause deadlift or a deficit deadlift that I may as well just do more more standard conventional. 

i think probably trying to be good at both is pointless, we aren't all dan greens and pulling high intensity conventional one week and high intensity sumo the next really won't do much for most people's deadlift. It's like why would I bother to learn and pull sumo and lift heavy with that when I could being doing conventional which is specific to my goal.

I'm sure doing both is fine, but we choose a stance that works best for us and most generally probably train that way. I like the assistance idea or using your weaker stance now and then for assistance variations.  Also both don't have to match the same amount of kgs on the bar. If you can pull sumo 200 and con 300, obviously con is #1. But wouldn't getting your sumo to 220 through assistance etc be benificial to a 300+ lift?

also it comes down to what you can recover from. Is smashing a weaker stance and putting your all time into that really benificial?

From my ex. I switched to a wider sumo approach because con put me into a crappy postion that caused me to get injured to much. So the majority of my DL movements are sumo, my hips n glutes seem to fucntion much better this way as well. The top end pulls are still pretty similar but it's ugly, so a con stance SLDL is much better for a variation.

4 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I think for most guys there is zero benefit.

I have Realtalk do Stiff Leg Sumos as a ham, glute and low back movement. But even if the stance is the same, the mechanics are completely different to a regular sumo lift.

So more to build those muscles to build your main lift as apposed to mimicking a sumo to get "carry over" yea?

43 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I think for most guys there is zero benefit.

I have Realtalk do Stiff Leg Sumos as a ham, glute and low back movement. But even if the stance is the same, the mechanics are completely different to a regular sumo lift.

Some people our there say that they carry over to each other but yeah I'm not a believer. Your approach is good I think

11 hours ago, Monarchking said:

So more to build those muscles to build your main lift as apposed to mimicking a sumo to get "carry over" yea?

Yes, hypertrophy and conditioning. I find you don't get back fatique much while squatting if you do sumo sldls. Conditions the posterior chain like nothing else.

I can think of a couple of examples where sumo has helped someones conv. Hayden Lee missed 300 conv a few times, switched to sumo and got it. Went back to conv and pulled 310 not long after. Jamie King did similar. Personally I wouldn't bother other than using it as an accessory movement

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

Yes, hypertrophy and conditioning. I find you don't get back fatique much while squatting if you do sumo sldls. Conditions the posterior chain like nothing else.

I've made slow but steady gains in the DL over the last few months implementing sumo SLDL with a band aroud te ankles, resting the weight but keeping muscles engaged still as my primary assistance movement. Love it

6 hours ago, bang_bang said:

I can think of a couple of examples where sumo has helped someones conv. Hayden Lee missed 300 conv a few times, switched to sumo and got it. Went back to conv and pulled 310 not long after. Jamie King did similar. Personally I wouldn't bother other than using it as an accessory movement

And the question then is why would it help? The mechanics are completely different. 

The only logical reason would be in aiding hamstring, glute and to some degree, lower back strength.

As an assistance lift, a sumo sldl would be more helpful.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

And the question then is why would it help? The mechanics are completely different. 

The only logical reason would be in aiding hamstring, glute and to some degree, lower back strength.

As an assistance lift, a sumo sldl would be more helpful.

I don't know I'm not a wizard lol, possibly gets glutes/hams stimulated more so they work harder when you go back to conv? I agree I wouldn't bother myself, seems to be something in it for some people though although you wouldn't know what other factors could be at play. 

17 minutes ago, bang_bang said:

I don't know I'm not a wizard lol, possibly gets glutes/hams stimulated more so they work harder when you go back to conv? I agree I wouldn't bother myself, seems to be something in it for some people though although you wouldn't know what other factors could be at play. 

Not hassling you bro. 

That does make sense, and thats why I say working out the best way to hit the glutes/hams is the way to go rather than just assuming sumo will help as the OP says.

It's like saying 'Slingshot will help your bench' - ok, but you need to ask yourself- what logical actual benefits do you gain?

Theres a possibility guys who do a cycle of sumo and come back and hit conventional PB's actually just needed to take a break from conventional deadlifts cause they were fatigued as hell.