Why are oats even a thing?

GyzzBrah

We get free oats, and had 2kgs of it lying in the back of the pantry since last year probably. 

Anyways, made myself 2 servings (made 3 last time and had to dispose), in a pyrex measuring mug. Anyways, when cooked, this rendered me about 40g carbs, but close to 1l of volume.

Oats have got to be the worst carb source ever, calorie to volume wise.

Second would be rice.

Pasta and bread always better imo.

I devoured that shit regardless since not pussy anymore, but why are oats still even a thing?

5 minutes ago, maccaz said:

Another of your annoying stupid rants. 

Oats are good, so is rice. 

Nah not rant, proper post.

How do you cook them normally? Do you have them raw etc were the questions I was trying to raise.

Obviously 40g carbs per 1L not ideal.

Oats are a thing because they are high in a particular fibre that lowers cholesterol levels have high amounts of minerals and strong antioxidant activity. 

Pasta even whole grain doesn't have the same sort of fibre & minerals as oats 

that oats to water ratio seems well off! dry oats into a blender 1 1/2 cups water and protein and your good to go 

I use Harraways scotch oats. 850gm per bag. 18 x 45gms serves per pack. Each 45gms serve gives you 25.3gms carbs.  I'd be lucky to get 7 or 8 serves from a bag myself though. I have a nutri bullet and just pour in like 100grams oats . Protein powder and peanut butter top up with water and skull. Bob's your uncle, fannys your aunt.  That's just under 50 grams of carbs and probably 700ml full . 

Cooked oats will take up a lot more water (and therefore volume) than uncooked. If you're struggling, just add less water and cook less.

But I think you should check your figures. I have 60g of raw oats, which gives me 40g of carbs. I haven't checked, but I don't think that's anywhere near a cup of dry oats. Are you sure your "1 cup = 40g carbs" stat wasn't for cooked oats?

Pasta and bread is processed shit.

oats and rice much better energy source.

400-500g carbs? Who needs that many carbs? Only people I know who eat that much carbs are people who got fat.

1 litre of porridge to get 40g carbs lol obviously it's all water man. Eat them raw mix with yogurt that's what I have for breakfast most days at the moment.

I like oats, don't even bother to cook 'em,

Just like RT, I just let the whole rolled oats soak in the protein shake while I make my meals for the day... 15-20m and they're soft and chewy... 

As for content- see the attachment.  For me, 45g of raw Harroways rolled/ toasted oats gives 25g of carbs which is just fine - but then I'm only on around 280g net carbs/ day.

oats.JPG

You get oats for free but cant make gains, lol. pretty simple, put whatever amount in pot add some water, cook to desired thickness. bread is just gluten and crap, i rarely eat it unless its a cheat type meal, maybe thats why you butthole keeps blowing up, between that and all the grindr dates u swipe right

11 hours ago, teamfatboy said:

- but then I'm only on around 280g net carbs/ day.

For a 120+ lifter? I'm calling that one out :-p

Am I the only one using quick oats with milk, whack in the mic for 1m and add protein+PB and you are in heaven my friends. I don't even care what the split is, it fills me up and tastes so damn good.

13 hours ago, GyzzBrah said:

Guys come on. Not trying to start a discussion about me.

Just a discussion on calories to volume ratio mostly. 

@Pseudonym maybe you can contribute something and put this off the tangent its heading towards?

If you want to add more calories then add MCT oils into your oats.  

brah doing your oats sah wrong

grab your shaker, put in about 1 cup ( can't remember exact raw weight ) turn on hot tap, let it get hot, put in about 300-350ml of water, shake with top on ( keep finger on top as heat makes it explode open ) only need to shake for 10 seconds, pour into bowl, nuke for 2 mins, add 2 scoops protein powder of choice ( some go good, others suck when added to hot oats ) add some peach slices and a spoon of peanut butter - god like meal.

I actually blend mine with my morning shake and pre-gym shake with a banana and 2 scoops of protein and sometimes peanut butter to make up fats. Shakes are easiest way to get those calories in when youre on dat bulk time. But yeah that water ratio is fukTTTTTTT brah

1 hour ago, donz said:

brah doing your oats sah wrong

grab your shaker, put in about 1 cup ( can't remember exact raw weight ) turn on hot tap, let it get hot, put in about 300-350ml of water, shake with top on ( keep finger on top as heat makes it explode open ) only need to shake for 10 seconds, pour into bowl, nuke for 2 mins, add 2 scoops protein powder of choice ( some go good, others suck when added to hot oats ) add some peach slices and a spoon of peanut butter - god like meal.

I actually blend mine with my morning shake and pre-gym shake with a banana and 2 scoops of protein and sometimes peanut butter to make up fats. Shakes are easiest way to get those calories in when youre on dat bulk time. But yeah that water ratio is fukTTTTTTT brah

this

im picturing gyzz brah crying into a bowl of oat soup 

52 minutes ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Oats cooked in water with milk poured on top once cooked is probably my favourite clean carb source after whole grain toast. just my 2c lol

Agreed. Porridge is awesome. There's a magic ratio of oats to liquid which produces porridge of just the right consistency... silky smooth and not too runny or too thick. (Sorry Gyzzbrah, I don't know what that ratio is - I just do it by eye now)

It's even better with extra milk powder and brown sugar sprinkled on top. IIFYM. :-)