NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
crazyfacials

24 hour gyms

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller....

I am looking for a 24 hour gym to get back into things again, but from memory the snap fitness places just have machines to workout on,  I am after one that isn't located over the nasty North Shore or the wicked West Auckland.

some of the gyms I've been looking at are Moe's Ex gym (forgot the name) ,    the gym that became of club physical @ botany Junction , Miada in Otahuhu...

I am willing to listen and do more research if there is a better alternative ?

Fanks

Dave is AWOL mate,  work/buying a house/thinking of moving has made him do the runners, he still has a stash of his stuff in my house, not even sure if they're good or expired

Probably still good :) 

Do you guys have anytime fitness there yet? It's pretty much the same as Snap but has free weights. They don't have bench press set ups but you just drag a bench into the power rack and you're good to go. I like the 24 hour gyms, anytime is everywhere in Sydney so I can always find one of I'm out of my area. Mind you Snap fitness has free weights too. I think it just depends who has bought the particular franchise as to how it's set up. 

All the snaps I've been to have free weights. That's 2 in nz and 5 in aus.

One I go to actually has a bit of decent shit like comp bench deadlift platform and 300kg bumper plate set plus proper bars and dbs to 70kg. Another nearby one just got a monolift.

Nelson one was pretty small and shit though and seemed pretty much exactly like an anytime fitness.

Machines at snap/anytime are fucking shit IME. 

On 13 June 2016 at 0:31 PM, crazyfacials said:

Where is that?

Edit: sorry just googled it, lol that area is now full of gyms, so this is not part of muscle and fitness ?

It's the old muscle and fitness bro. New owner. You honestly won't recognise the place if you go it's been fully done up and renovated. The owner is a friend of mine and a good guy. I go there when I get the chance if I lived out that way I'd train there full time.

I really like 24 hour gyms because they're generally quite impersonal and you can just get in and get out. It's not like you'll go to one that doesn't have a power rack of some description and a bench and a truckload of plates so they're usually pretty good. It does if they're in a residential building or above offices cos then you get hounded about making noise but hey I trained at a gym that's supposed to be super hardcore and they didn't like people making any noise.. shouldn't be dropping weights anyway imo

15 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

I cant stand the chain gyms like snap etc, unless you travel alot they suck ass, i would much rather support a locally owned gym where they have enough good gear

Lots of those type gyms are locally owned. It's called a franchise. Not too sure what's wrong with dbs up to 70kg and comp bench monolift, 300kg in bumper plates etc if you're into PL? Guess no point having 70s if you can't use them for anything though lol.

Can't say I've seen many 'local gyms' with decent gear. Usually just old shit half fucked equipment and owned by some mid 40s has been who struggling to make a normal living wage off it but has no other chance of meaningful employment so stuck in grotty shithole he probably hates stinking the place out with his shit stories of how he placed 2nd in some obscure comp 15 years ago.

16 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

I cant stand the chain gyms like snap etc, unless you travel alot they suck ass, i would much rather support a locally owned gym where they have enough good gear

Well yeah, I loved training at fitness plus, but currently with work hours and other stuff I sometimes leave work at 8 pm, by the time I get home and go to the gym it's 9pm already,  this way I'll be more flexible and won't have to worry about rushing things

2 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

It's the old muscle and fitness bro. New owner. You honestly won't recognise the place if you go it's been fully done up and renovated. The owner is a friend of mine and a good guy. I go there when I get the chance if I lived out that way I'd train there full time.

they still have both signs there lol, is it still owned by that Iraqi dude that bought it off Mo?

2 hours ago, crazyfacials said:

Well yeah, I loved training at fitness plus, but currently with work hours and other stuff I sometimes leave work at 8 pm, by the time I get home and go to the gym it's 9pm already,  this way I'll be more flexible and won't have to worry about rushing things

they still have both signs there lol, is it still owned by that Iraqi dude that bought it off Mo?

I get why people train at 24 gyms. I used to myself. A lot of gyms have had to adjust hours to keep up with snap etc as xlosing a gym at 8 just doesn't cut it

Yeah that's shit. Even 9pm shit. Don't see why a gym can't be 24/7. If cost of one extra employee wages too much then your gym is shit and probably not gonna be profitable for long

Anytime doesn't even have staff on after a certain time. But you can pick up a safety button on case one of the other members tries to assault you late at night. Thing is... no matter how provocatively I dress it never happens to me.. :'(

Edited by HarryB

3 hours ago, PETN said:

Can't say I've seen many 'local gyms' with decent gear. Usually just old shit half fucked equipment and owned by some mid 40s has been who struggling to make a normal living wage off it but has no other chance of meaningful employment so stuck in grotty shithole he probably hates stinking the place out with his shit stories of how he placed 2nd in some obscure comp 15 years ago.

Ummm it was Mr Horowhenua and I actually won novice thanks mate.... oh yeah and 22 years ago. Now all I need is the shitty little gym with rusty gear...

been to miada in avondale couple times its pretty wicked. massive range of gear especially if youre int o PL / strongman. i guess otahuhu is about the same but havent been there.

i joined snap few month ago and its pretty good out west atleast. yeah theres a bunch of machines but they in sweet condition, well maintained. there are also free weights, the DBs here only go up to 50 tho thats more than enough for me so cant complain.  they also got a lifting platform with bumper plates specially for oly stuff / deadlifting and a decent oly bar on there good knurling and shit. they also have a range of shitty barbells (thicker than usual) for squats/bench. There is 1 bb flat bench, 1 bb incline bench, they the type that u can swivel out for lift off pretty handy. 1 power rack and 1 smith machine, separate workout room for random cardio stuff so u dont get people walking around doing lunges and shit.  there are also no rules about not being allowed to use this or that after hours.

i guess they're all different though so check out your local one to see what they got.

I'm not sure if you've found a good 24 hour gym yet, but the newly renovated Revitalize gym on Harris road near Te Rakau drive is an awesome facility.  Plenty of free weights and a wide range of equipment. It's well worth checking out..