Cheap (but reliable) whey?

rsiddharth97

Hi everyone, being a student money is pretty hard to come by and I've noticed how protein powder is just so much more expensive in NZ !! Considering I already need to pay for 4000+ calories worth of food, paying for a reliable protein powder seems to be becoming an issue. I have stuck with optimum nutrion's gold standard for a while now to stay clear of all the amino spiking issues going around but that was back when I was having to eat much less and could afford it. Getting to the point, whats the cheapest whey protein you can find in new-zealand that you can trust to believe that what they say on the label is actually what you are getting? My guess would have been with myprotein's impact whey but you can't seem to get that here in NZ and ordering it from UK or USA just raises it to the price of the other good quality protein brands here. 

P.S- cheapest supplement store to buy the whey that you recommend? 

15 minutes ago, maccaz said:

How big are you to need 4000cal plus whey 

Not all that big to be honest,just got a really fast metabolism. To be honest, they whey isn't completely necessary, issue is when I get enough calories my macros get a bit messy and sometimes I can't get enough protein in each day. 

But in my defence I didn't just hop onto a 4000 calorie diet,its something that started off as a 2200 calorie diet and has gone up to this.

Um nutrawhey unflavoured on bodybuilding.co.nz is the cheapest I could find here

36$ a kg, but you can also buy them in much larger packs of up to 10kg which are heavily discounted so you can get it for 20$ a KG

You will probably have to chuck some milo in there for flavour.

Scorpion or nutrawhey are solid options and both are cheap.

Not paying for the flashy label.

Personally have used both at different times with success.

Alternatively if you have some coin upfront you can buy a 20kg bag from Davis Trading which ends up $20-25/kg and you're basically guaranteed that that has what is on the label in it as Fonterra couldn't care less about amino spiking it, wouldn't be worth their time.

On 6/5/2016 at 5:55 PM, rsiddharth97 said:

Getting to the point, whats the cheapest whey protein you can find in new-zealand that you can trust to believe that what they say on the label is actually what you are getting?

In terms of trust, I'd suggest Balance because when we talked about doing protein tests here, they jumped on board immediately - so that's a pretty good sign! They probably don't meet your "cheap" requirement though. ;-) 

So next on the list would probably be NZ Protein. They also endorsed our protein testing, and they're a lot cheaper.

13 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

In terms of trust, I'd suggest Balance because when we talked about doing protein tests here, they jumped on board immediately - so that's a pretty good sign! They probably don't meet your "cheap" requirement though. ;-) 

So next on the list would probably be NZ Protein. They also endorsed our protein testing, and they're a lot cheaper.

https://www.nzprotein.co.nz/product/nz-whey-1kg-2-2lbs

Is that the NZ protein brand you're referring too? Seems pretty cheap..

Yep, that's the one, mate.

21 hours ago, PETN said:

Did balance actually make a $500+ pledge? I'm no accountant but it seems like they did not, at least on the givealittle page.

I don't think they made officially on the Givealittle page, but I'm confident they'd have made good on their promise, had we got to that point.

44 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Yep, that's the one, mate.

I don't think they made officially on the Givealittle page, but I'm confident they'd have made good on their promise, had we got to that point.

Not much of a poker player I'm guessing?

On 6/5/2016 at 10:47 PM, BeastBuilder said:

Scorpion or nutrawhey are solid options and both are cheap.

Alternatively if you have some coin upfront you can buy a 20kg bag from Davis Trading which ends up $20-25/kg and you're basically guaranteed that that has what is on the label in it as Fonterra couldn't care less about amino spiking it, wouldn't be worth their time.

I've heard negative things about both.... without testing will never know though. 

Davis Trading would be the way to go cheap (got to buy bulk quantities though? 25kg bags) also I think you need to be set up in there system as a trader.  Fonterra don't amino spike because the raw materials are sufficient to meet their specifications within tolerances. 

Go vegan brah its the only way srs

• 2 weeks later...