Callous care

So just did a comp and ended up missing 2nd and 3rd deads because of grip. very frustrating as the weight was no issue and grip just opened up. Also note i use hook grip.  about 3 weeks ago i used the wifes schol foot grinder thing but that just seemed to soften it up and . anyone dealt with these issues, ive never had too many probs. I need some iron clad hands!

If I start to see the skin raising up just before it tears i'll get a medium coarse sandpaper and shave it down. If and when it does rip, cut the skin back as much as possible so it's flat rather than those slightly raised edges that re tear time after time. 

Other than that it's just building up your tolerance to gripping a bar so holding it longer at the top, heavy BB rows, chin+pull ups anything to train the grip up.

Yeah bro I had issues - last comp 2 of them tore same time, same lift, 4 weeks prior other hand had gone. Fkn Okie bar! I took some advice and got very coarse sand paper - wheneven you see them even slightly raised sand them down.

Actually just wrote this then saw what M.T had said hahah!

You should not lose it with the hook grip being the best grip going.  Good idea what you did using the wife's schol grinder.

Hand care is pretty important keeping the callouses down is number one as you will not get rips unless you use the hook grip and the bar is bent and twists in your hands.

A couple things to do is after using chalk is to wash your hands straight away get into this habit.  Leaving chalk on the hands drys them out, and some sort of moisturizer like Bag Balm 

Keep the callouses well maintained hands soft so they will not tear.

You could file your thumb like I get some of my lifters to do this is for the hook grip

Was it a normal comp size bar that you used?

10423882_1596468967235292_8630926097081562853_n.jpg

27 minutes ago, Old Bull said:

You should not lose it with the hook grip being the best grip going.  Good idea what you did using the wife's schol grinder.

Hand care is pretty important keeping the callouses down is number one as you will not get rips unless you use the hook grip and the bar is bent and twists in your hands.

A couple things to do is after using chalk is to wash your hands straight away get into this habit.  Leaving chalk on the hands drys them out, and some sort of moisturizer like Bag Balm 

Keep the callouses well maintained hands soft so they will not tear.

You could file your thumb like I get some of my lifters to do this is for the hook grip

Was it a normal comp size bar that you used?

10423882_1596468967235292_8630926097081562853_n.jpg

It was a 29mm and im sure it was eleiko, but it was a darker color to the usual chrome type one we use, like a natural steel color. The knurling was good, but it was slightly different to the last one i used. not sure it contributed to me loosing it. i have not got huge hands, but i need to learn to get my thumb right under so the ring finger gets over some of the thumb too  

4 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

It was a 29mm and im sure it was eleiko, but it was a darker color to the usual chrome type one we use, like a natural steel color. The knurling was good, but it was slightly different to the last one i used. not sure it contributed to me loosing it. i have not got huge hands, but i need to learn to get my thumb right under so the ring finger gets over some of the thumb too  

Natural steel colour?

Man I gotta learn me this hook grip maybe even out my lats over time - any videos going that show it properly? I gave it a bro-go myself up to 180 a month or so ago but probably did it very wrong