NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
d3ft0n3s

Intermittent fasting

Anyone do it? Or tried it?

Pros, cons? Your experiences?

Most interested in Michael moseley suggested 5 days non 2 days fast.

Just as a general interest. If you think it's shit say so. Any information would be great

^ Jimmy's not really an IF fan. ;-D

I think there are aspects of it that are really good (it's more convenient, and people often find it easier to maintain), but there are also aspects that are oversold. I don't know how much difference all the hormonal theory actually makes in practice. Ultimately, it's just another way of lowering calories, and if it works for you - great.

My mum's been doing the 2-day fast technique. She's always struggled to lose weight, but this has been working for her. She likes the fact that with just 2 days of "being good", she can still eat normally on the other days.

2 hours ago, Bruce Al said:

I like the idea of I.F and id like to be able to do it.  I just cant last longer than 2 days.

You don't necessarily have to do the 7-days-a-week mini-fast version. Why not try the 2-day complete-fast version as above instead. (Note: they shouldn't be 2 consecutive days...)

Hell, even doing just one day of fasting each week may be enough. If it means you've eaten (eg) 2500 calories less than you otherwise would, that's still the equivalent of a 350cal daily deficit over the course of a week.

I can't remember whether I've linked this before or not (probably have), but John Berardi tried various different forms of IF, and documented the results - both in terms of fat loss, and on his energy levels and training. It's a really good read...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

(Skip to Chapter 7 if you just want the conclusion)

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

You don't necessarily have to do the 7-days-a-week mini-fast version. Why not try the 2-day complete-fast version as above instead. (Note: they shouldn't be 2 consecutive days...)

Hell, even doing just one day of fasting each week may be enough. If it means you've eaten (eg) 2500 calories less than you otherwise would, that's still the equivalent of a 350cal daily deficit over the course of a week.

I can't remember whether I've linked this before or not (probably have), but John Berardi tried various different forms of IF, and documented the results - both in terms of fat loss, and on his energy levels and training. It's a really good read...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

(Skip to Chapter 7 if you just want the conclusion)

I'll read link tomorrow but I'm more a fan of the daily fast where you get ur eats on in 6 hrs and the rest is fasted. 

Probably the best diet I've tried. I didn't follow it to the letter though all I did was not eat till I got home from work at 3pm. It was easy to adhere to I'd just get up, go to work, not think about food all day and come home to a big meal. 

I also liked the fact that I ate all of my calories when it mattered the most, pre and post training. I think I held onto more strength/muscle than I would have spreading a small amount of calories across the day. 

After 3 months I was down to 2200cals a day and went from 91-83kg natty. Didn't do any cardio. Never got my bf tested id say I was about 8%. Striated chest, veins through abs etc. 

On 6/1/2016 at 7:51 PM, Pseudonym said:
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Don't eat
  • Eat

lmao!!

Good TEDx on the effects on the brain and brain related illness through intermittent fasting.  Most of my clients use a similar program - nearly all of them report an increase in vitality, better sleep and more sustained energy (alongside weight/bfat los)