Gpc NZ and social media

Realtalk

What? So they can't express an opinion on anything or even comment? When anyone mentions this same situation in the nzfbb it's like a "let's all poo on nzfbb" party. When it's GPC nothing. Man someone must have some serious influence happening. But I'm sure it would be much better to not have any controversy which required you to gag people :) 

A new code of conduct. One of the codes being - "demonstrate behaviour online which brings the federation and my fellow officials into disrepute."

So questioning another judge about their calls is unacceptable? I tried to do it in the GPC referee chat but no one was interested in discussing it and took no accountability. Just like the drunk ref no one wanted to discuss it or sort it out.  

This just bullshit! It's just becoming like moe and the nzifbb.

"slagging off", "attacking", "abusing"... These are just a few of the descriptions I have read, heard or been told about from people relating to me about my posts in my journal about gpc NZ. I suppose some people who are members of the fed who weren't on the board think I'm a bad person I have been removed off Facebook by some people (not that I give a f*ck)

You know people have short memories.... That fed was falling a part when I was on the board. Hamish was being bullied out of his presidency position and the current president threw her toys and left the board then basically held it to ransom. I sorted all that out and mediated it to a large degree. Now I'm this disliked ex member, why? Because I criticised poor leadership and fairness.

I have just seen the full Code of conduct just created. I think it's really dissappointing that I had to do all of what I did for them to write that. It talks about intoxication and judginh amougst other things.

But that's what happens when people are too big for their boots and their egos get in the way of their ears. 

Nek minit you won't even be allowed to attend a GPC comp as a spectator. Typical little Hitler tactics. Discredit anyone who voices a negative opinion with zero refuting the actual facts just bash that persons credibility and use some very thinly veiled threats to stand over anyone else who even thinks about voicing their opinion. 

4. Conflict of interest.

Imo there is Already a conflict of interest when Matt Stewart of raiselower stopped getting invited to competitions as a sponsor when president started up own powerlifting equipment bussiness. Matt got shut out conveniently. That to me is a conflict of interest because in the interests of the members and competitors Matt provided great prizes. Now there are no prizes just sales. Basically the roles are being used to benefit a bussiness.

16 minutes ago, PETN said:

No drugs at all to be consumed at comps? surely not...wonder what drugs they are meaning specifically

Not sure. Don't have any knowledge with drug use in gpc nz. Only intoxicated referee and competitor (same person, but numerous occasions) and nothing being done about it.

these are just bullet points and words. Still need people to action it all which is where the failure was before this shit got posted up.

worthless.

1 hour ago, Bigken1985 said:

Bit confused with the part about only discussing decisions immediately after the decision. lol. Most judges ive come across would tell you what you did wrong after the meet maybe. do they want people to get reds again or something. Far out and people think there are politics in the ipf

Cotton wool.

I think as a GPC member that judges / refs should be held accountable for their calls or at least on questioned lifts be able to give valid reason for why they made that call ie: if 2 people call a squat high and one calls it deep and theres a video showing it high, why did they call it good? It's not a high pressure situation, it's your peers, 50-60 people and a fun day, it's not a world cup of cricket. If you don't question people on bad calls they won't get any better as a referee that's for sure, the front ref at the last UPANZ meet said he'd want to be questioned on bad calls re: one dead lift that shouldn't have been given but he gave it.

If as you say things are being shut behind doors instead of being made better than things will just get worse. I'm not going to jump ship from GPC as they're my friends, you are too, besides my body isn't letting me compete again this year rofl so we'll see how things go, hopefully they get better.

As per drunk person I wasn't there to see it but I heard she was originally IPF back in the day, unsure if she got kicked or left? But that should be 1 strike and you're gone mate, as funny as it might have been to see there's no place for that in any sport.

2 minutes ago, donz said:

As per drunk person I wasn't there to see it but I heard she was originally IPF back in the day, unsure if she got kicked or left? But that should be 1 strike and you're gone mate, as funny as it might have been to see there's no place for that in any sport.

She just left bro when CAPO started up, I think mostly just around friendships. Nothing malicious.

I've competed with plenty of guys over the years in SM, PL, WL and HG who drink between events. It shouldn't be a problem if you're not intoxicated. Judging under the influence, probably not as wise.

Reminds me of that time where the former Prezzie was told not to put her on any Boards or decisionmaking committees because of the destructive influence but he didn't listen and everyone fell for her sob stories and so on. 

Here we are now. 

One of the difficulties with this code of conduct is referees are going to be powerless to defend their decisions if they get questioned online. 

Nor are they then meant to discuss it with the lifter in question after the meet.

Not sure that's a recipe for harmony.

10 minutes ago, Wookie said:

She just left bro when CAPO started up, I think mostly just around friendships. Nothing malicious.

I've competed with plenty of guys over the years in SM, PL, WL and HG who drink between events. It shouldn't be a problem if you're not intoxicated. Judging under the influence, probably not as wise.

Ah yep all good! From what I've heard she was drunk enough to face plant during squat attempts so I don't think it was one beer or a sip of whiskey hahaha! Also why would you drink during strongman, surely you'd not wanna kill your test levels? Haha

Just now, donz said:

Ah yep all good! From what I've heard she was drunk enough to face plant during squat attempts so I don't think it was one beer or a sip of whiskey hahaha! Also why would you drink during strongman, surely you'd not wanna kill your test levels? Haha

Because 2x10hr days to do 8 events... haha

1 minute ago, donz said:

Hahah fair call! I'd do strong man cos it looks epic as f*ck and I love watching it but my body can hardly even handle power lifting so maybe I'll just stick to chess

Your body can absolutely handle powerlifting, you have to be able to manage injuries, recovery, programming and technique.
Successful strongman competition is simple that with a bit of extra complexity.

Some of you are reading way further into this than they need to be. 

A code of conduct among referees instills professionalism and unity.  

Each meet now has a technical director who oversees all of the referees and technical queries.

A ref may be personally questioned on their call why it was given straight after the lift but any further queries are then passed over to the technical director of the meet.  

It is not the individual ref who needs to be continually hounded for clarifying and vilifying. 

This is not unlike super rugby.  The individual ref who makes a call can be queried straight after a match then the referees representive fields any further questions.  

Theres nothing there that is gagging is there?  It's about supporting your fellow referees and not letting them get caught up in any online bs. 

Its also there to stop refs from making judgement on lift videos on social media that are unwarranted.  For example calling a lifters squat high when no hip crease can be viewed in the video.  

GPC is still a relatively new federation.  It has grown and utilised a lot of people who are new to administrative positions and refereeing roles.  Having things outlined on paper so they know what is expected of them is a good thing.

Every single person I employ in my company has to read, understand and sign a code of conduct so they know how I expect them to conduct themselves whether it's their first job or 20th.  It's helpful for both parties.  

As as for the drunk ref situation we have spoken about this several times Tom.  I have already told you that I was not aware she was drunk until I was told AFTER the comp and at that point she was spoken too behind closed doors, not in public.   No I'm not as hard assed as you, I don't throw people to the wolves.  This code of conduct is clearing it up so it never happens again. 

Im disappointed in some of the above comments.  There's no ulterior motives behind GPC.  It's just a group of people trying to put in competitions for the rest of the lifters around the country and offer qualification to international meets.

This doesn't feel like letting things go again Tom.  You decided to leave GPC and that's your decision.  You shouldn't feel like you have to light a match and make it burn at every opportunity.  It's not to late to drop your angst and comp back and lift with us.  There are international refs (including the head GPC international ref) coming out for nationals so it's very unlikely you will have an issue with the refereeing.

Anyway I won't be drawn into a personal shit slinging debate.  I left the GPC board for business and family reasons.  But I'm Still heavily involved in growing GPC Waikato.  

We are having the Waikato  regional meet here in Hamilton on Saturday.  It's gonna be heaps of fun so if you're in Hamilton this weekend come down to Flex Fitness and check it out from 10am ?

42 minutes ago, Wookie said:

One of the difficulties with this code of conduct is referees are going to be powerless to defend their decisions if they get questioned online. 

Nor are they then meant to discuss it with the lifter in question after the meet.

Not sure that's a recipe for harmony.

You don't see Wayne Barnes having to defend his calls after a test match on his personal Facebook page either.  

Lifters need to learn that what happens on the day stays at the comp.  

If a technical director has an issue with the way a referee refs then they are spoken too and either retrained or their grading goes down. 

thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I won't be having anything to do with gpc. I'm not like other people who leave just to get a reaction.

i don't think it's a fair fed another great example of that is at the Auckland champs when you were a part of the ref briefing. You were competing and shouldn't have been anywhere near the ref briefing. if you aren't reffing and are competing the ref brief is out of bounds this is where influence etc happens.