NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Skeletor

Transgenders in strength sports

12 hours ago, nate225 said:

It was interesting your stance on mtf in sports was the same as most here, probably the pragmatic approach would to manage sport by genetic sex rather than gender?

I think the problem there then would be that I would be put in a womens division and that's not right or fair either.

If you look at a lot of the elite female athletes a fair portion of them would have above average testosterone naturally, that's part of their genetics and what helps them to become elite. The whole gender/hormones issue in sport is a hell of a tough one and I honestly don't know what the right answer is. The pragmatic side of me wonders if something like the paralympics with separate divisions would be the better way to go, as much as that would be seen by the "social warriors" as segregation and offensive.

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I'm really pleased you did, Psyke. For two reasons...

Firstly, you've increased the quality of this topic tenfold! You've put a human face on this, and articulated your points well, giving the rest of us a good insight into the issue.

Secondly, my guess is that many FTM transgenders seek out gym and bodybuilding forums - because after all, physique development is a major part of the transition. So we probably have a higher-than-average transgender readership, particularly in topics like this one. Hopefully these people will see your comments and find comfort knowing that someone else is in the same boat as them.

So thanks for posting Psyke. Keep it up.

You are right, even before I transitioned and definitely in the space before I was accepted for hormones I spent a lot of time in the gym "making the best of what I had" it was my only way of gaining a sense of control over my body again. So it stands to reason that I wouldn't be the only one. 

It's the same reason I give so much of my time to youth work and support, the suicide statistics are horrific and a lot of that can be contributed to people feeling isolated and alone in a world that thinks they are freaks.

I'm really glad the majority of you guys have been good about this, it makes taking the risk and outting myself worth it. 

I'm also not asking for no jokes or anything, and I'm sure not going to be the joke police on anything gay or trans, in fact I'm usually the first to crack a joke, I was simply looking to give a human side to the debate and hopefully answer some peoples questions along the way :-) 

7 minutes ago, PETN said:

A year or so ago I was reading a novel where the main character was also a male trapped in another body which was not his own. To be fair it did sound pretty shit for him. In the end all it took for everyone to realise who he really was, was for a chick to show interest, and him pashing the girl. Book was called The Frog Prince. Well worth a read.

I've pashed potentially more than my fair share of people, from all sides of the fence, and I'm still waiting for my magical transformation :-p

Correct me if I'm wrong though but in the end of the book doesn't the princes body change from the one he was trapped in to the one he always knew himself to be? Effectively what every trans person is trying to do (and you seem to be so completely against).

29 minutes ago, Psyke said:

I've pashed potentially more than my fair share of people, from all sides of the fence, and I'm still waiting for my magical transformation :-p

Correct me if I'm wrong though but in the end of the book doesn't the princes body change from the one he was trapped in to the one he always knew himself to be? Effectively what every trans person is trying to do (and you seem to be so completely against).

What gives you the impression I'm against trans people? And yep that's what happens in the book. I think he was a male human originally though.

1 minute ago, PETN said:

What gives you the impression I'm against trans people? 

Hmmm, let me think about that for 0.2 seconds

On 5/21/2016 at 0:46 PM, PETN said:

The difference between this shit and being gay is that being gay is just a preference whereas saying you are a man when you're a woman and vice versa is a load of delusional shit and a mental illness.

5 minutes ago, Psyke said:

Hmmm, let me think about that for 0.2 seconds

I was under the impression that you hadn't bothered to read my posts.

Re. Your earlier reply to me. Galileo was sentenced to house arrest for proposing that the earth revolve around the sun and his research banned. Should he apologize for being right just because he upset people believing the mainstream bullshit of the time?

PETN, what makes you say being gay is just a preference? Personal experience? I doubt you would admit to that... so, say, if you have no experience with that then how can you say it is only a preference and so is different than being transgendered? I doubt you would admit to having any experience with ever having had the "trans illness", so the argument goes both ways.

Maybe for some it can be a preference and for others it can be a mental illness (at least in part) or possibly even a genetic predisposition. Anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, PETN said:

I was under the impression that you hadn't bothered to read my posts.

Re. Your earlier reply to me. Galileo was sentenced to house arrest for proposing that the earth revolve around the sun and his research banned. Should he apologize for being right just because he upset people believing the mainstream bullshit of the time?

I hadn't bothered to go back and re read what you should or shouldn't be apologizing for. That comment however stood out right from the start

Pretty sure you refusing to apologise doesn't make you a physicist, astronomer or even a philosopher. It more likely makes you an obstinate git who wont actually learn or grow as a person. That's your life journey however and completely your choice.

34 minutes ago, I Declare War said:

PETN, what makes you say being gay is just a preference? Personal experience? I doubt you would admit to that... so, say, if you have no experience with that then how can you say it is only a preference and so is different than being transgendered? I doubt you would admit to having any experience with ever having had the "trans illness", so the argument goes both ways.

Maybe for some it can be a preference and for others it can be a mental illness (at least in part) or possibly even a genetic predisposition. Anything is possible.

Deciding you prefer relationships with the same sex is obviously different to deciding you are the opposite sex to what you are born. I like my pet python, which is a preference.  But if I decided to become and live my life as a python it would not make me a python. It's not really that difficult to make the distinction.

I understand that it is also a preference to live your life as the opposite sex. I have no problem with that although I think something is a bit fucked up in that person's brain (same as for a homosexual). However it does not make you that sex. If you believe you are something you are not and get upset when other people say you're full of shit I would say you have a significant mental illness.

I'm really interested in the strength side of the issue.  Psyke, are you able to give me some examples of weights you lift in the gym . Say for bench and squats what weight can you max? Can you freely do pull-ups for sets? How much weight in muscle do you think you have gained in the 5 years on test and at what dosage are you prescribed?  Can you still feel pleasure through your vajayjay if you wanted to?  Don't answer that last one of you don't want to. :-D

Just now, Skeletor said:

I'm really interested in the strength side of the issue.  Psyke, are you able to give me some examples of weights you lift in the gym . Say for bench and squats what weight can you max? Can you freely do pull-ups for sets? How much weight in muscle do you think you have gained in the 5 years on test and at what dosage are you prescribed?  Can you still feel pleasure through your vajayjay if you wanted to?  Don't answer that last one of you don't want to. :-D

As I've said, their isn't much I wont answer ;-)

So, my strength training is a bit hot and cold, I will do say 12 weeks at a time and then go cold for about 3 months then start again so my lifts aren't huge.

I'm doing 5x5 and haven't checked on my 1RM in ages so I will give you the 5x5 weights I'm currently on:

Bench 65

squat 75

dead 120

OHP 45

Realistically this is more down to my lack of training than a physical lack of strength. Pull ups have always been a struggle for me, I'm a heavy little bastard so I have more weight to pull upwards. I can do a couple, more if it's close grip

I would say I have packed on 6-8kg of muscle in 5 years, with very intermittent training. Hard to tell as I went from fat chick to skinny(ish) chick to skinny guy to fat guy and now down to cuddly strong(ish) guy. I'm the same weight I was when I was a fat chick but now it's mostly muscle. 

test started out on pills so a shithouse dose, then worked up to being 1ml a week of depo (10mg/ml). Currently on Reandron 1000 with a shot cycle of 10 weeks (give or take depending on my memory)

Definitely can still feel pleasure through my original plumbing. T has just enhanced that ;-) 

Dunno WTF I've just stumbled upon but.....

if a man can win the woman of the year award,

If a man who had a sex change can enter powerlifting comps and out lift all the women ,

if a man can compete in kickboxing and is beating the shit out of naturally born women in the ring, then something just ain't right.....

Edit: Justin Bieber won lesbian of the year a few years back, but even that seems more legit than the above

Edited by welderguy