6 month evaluation

Island_Moose

I've been training for 6 months.  I suppose it's time to look at what I'm doing and make any required changes.  Feedback welcome.

I suppose I'm pretty happy with the results I've been able to achieve, it's sunk in that this is a long term commitment.  I have a 5-day training schedule, that goes something like this:

1. Chest & Triceps
  2. Back & Biceps
  3. Shoulders
  4. Off
  5. Legs
  6. Chest & Triceps
  7. Off
  8. Back & Biceps....etc

Statistically:

Weight 116kg (started at 119kg)

189cm

Estimated body fat %  - 20% ???

5 rep maximum:

Bench press – 100kg

Squat – 120kg

Deadlift – 140kg

Finally, a few photographs of my progress.  The black and white one is on day #1 (like an infomercial…where the guy using the crap vacuum is always fat and unhappy)

Macros

Time

Meal

Carbs(g)

Fat(g)

Protein(g)

6AM

Protein Shake (750mL)

8AM

Veggie Smoothie (750mL)

10AM

Chicken & Brown Rice

2PM

Chicken & Brown Rice

6PM

Protein Shake (750mL)

9PM

Dinner

Totals

Month 1a.JPG

Month 1.JPG

Month 6.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, bang_bang said:

Nice work your calories are very low for a guy your size i'd be having a refeed/cheat meal 1-3x a week to help keep your metabolism up. To give you an example i've been well under 10% @ 85kg on 2200cals

I'd say the best thing I could do for myself would be to see a nutritionist.  I'm trying to build lean muscle and lose fat (gut) simultaneously...and I may just be on a road to nowhere.

I have noticed that I am becoming more defined in my arms and shoulders.  I've added 2 holes to my belt, others of said I appear to be getting leaner.

4 minutes ago, Island_Moose said:

I'd say the best thing I could do for myself would be to see a nutritionist.  I'm trying to build lean muscle and lose fat (gut) simultaneously...and I may just be on a road to nowhere.

I have noticed that I am becoming more defined in my arms and shoulders.  I've added 2 holes to my belt, others of said I appear to be getting leaner.

Yeah man for sure go and see someone and get some direction. The belt getting looser and increased definition in your shoulders and arms are great indicators. If you want to keep progressing your nutrition has to change as you go. Because your body will adapt to whatever you're doing after a while and the progress will stop. I notice someone suggest have a cheat meal every few days that's a good idea also but what I'd do is go see someone so everything is mapped out and there's a plan to continue seeing improvements in your conditioning. Slow and steady wins the race. 

Just now, HarryB said:

Yeah man for sure go and see someone and get some direction. The belt getting looser and increased definition in your shoulders and arms are great indicators. If you want to keep progressing your nutrition has to change as you go. Because your body will adapt to whatever you're doing after a while and the progress will stop. I notice someone suggest have a cheat meal every few days that's a good idea also but what I'd do is go see someone so everything is mapped out and there's a plan to continue seeing improvements in your conditioning. Slow and steady wins the race. 

I know it's like crystal ball gazing, but do you reckon 12-14% body fat is possible at the end of the next 6 months (all things progressing as they have)?  I mean, is a 24-12% transformation possible in a year? 

42 minutes ago, Island_Moose said:

You won't be gaining any noticeable muscle on that amount of calories but as you'll certainly be getting leaner and your muscles will be more defined and give the illusion you're bigger/more muscular. Seeing a nutritionist could be worthwhile or you could do some research/ask for advice on here and easily figure it out for yourself. It's not rocket science.

41 minutes ago, Island_Moose said:

I know it's like crystal ball gazing, but do you reckon 12-14% body fat is possible at the end of the next 6 months (all things progressing as they have)?  I mean, is a 24-12% transformation possible in a year?

easily

Oh absolutely. If you're on a good plan and just chipping away at it then 6 months is more than enough time to get down to that bf % 

This is where maybe seeing someone would be handy. That or you just track your progress more diligently and create your own accountability. Set short term week by week goals. Aim for half a kilo to a kilo a week drop week by week for example. Then medium term might be get to 110 in 8 weeks. Long term would be say 100k bw while maintaining or increasing strength etc etc etc set clear goals and actually get a bf test done. Getting a nutritionist to help with this simplifies the process for you but you can work it out on your own also. 

Those are some impressive improvements for the amount of time you've been at it man. You're going to get a lot of different kinds of advice on here. Some good, some not so good. As a new guy i think your best bet would be to see someone in person if possible. Where abouts are you based?

• 3 weeks later...

Cutting for 3 weeks, reduced my caloric intake, keeping the protein high, reducing carbs through the week, enough to keep my training levels up.  Fat intake finally balanced.

Weight hasn't moved more than 1kg (at 116.5kg), which I can only assume means I'm still putting on muscle mass, as it's obvious that my fat levels are dropping.  Note to anyone trying this, get your body fat % done beforehand, because its the only way to reliably track progress.

Trimmed the forest a bit to see what was under there.

june.jpg