Unreliability of weight stack readings

Niku

I registered here because I wanted to answer someone who had asked about the reliability of weight stack machines. Unfortunately, after registering, I couldn't find him again.  However, since I recently tried and failed to weigh-in on this issue at another site, I have my answer already prepared. First, I wouldn't say that the machines are  unreliable, I'd say that they are liars, but why the companies that make them make them make them that way, I don't know. Anyway, here is the reply I tried to send  earlier to another site.

It's my contention that M.A. (mechanical advantage) has NOTHING to do with the unreliability/dishonesty of weight stack machines. Sure, we all know about levers, pulleys and such, but we should   never even have to think about M.A. All we need is for the dial/meter/gauge, etc. to reflect the real resistance. Think about it. If you knew the actual resistance at a particular setting, you could simply scratch out the lie and write in the correct weight with fingernail polish. Agreed? Well, since this could obviously be easily done, it's insulting to be told that the manufacturers couldn't etch/paint/label the CORRECT numbers when their machines are made. Damn them. This really makes me angry.

I dont really get your concern? Its kind of irrelevant anyway because it doesnt really matter but anyway:

Cable machines ive seen have weights of the plates written on them. One at my gym none of the pulleys move so the distance the stack moves is the same as the distance you are moving the end of the cable. So if it says 30kg then its approx 30kg (300N) of force. If one of the pulleys moved and the stack moved half the distance i pulled the cable then it would be 15kg (150N) approx force.

If you dont believe the weights written on stack are correct or arent sure if its pounds or kg then its pretty easy to measure them and calculate the volume then multiply that by the density of iron/steel (look up online) to check.

If it bothers you but  youre not able to look at the machine and work these things out for yourself then blame yourself not the manufacturer.

I can see how it would be annoying if you often switch between different gyms with different systems. Or if you're trying to compare your numbers with someone else's.

That said, it's not something that's ever particularly bugged me too much!

Lol exactly hop on different cable machine " this weight is bit light"  = move pin down a bit. "Too heavy" = move pin up a bit. 

I couldn't even tell you what weights i do on any of that shit. Dont even use an attachment or the carribena thing normally except lat pulldown. Probably slightly different every time for slightly different reps. Same effect anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2016 at 8:44 AM, Niku said:

I registered here because I wanted to answer someone who had asked about the reliability of weight stack machines. Unfortunately, after registering, I couldn't find him again.  However, since I recently tried and failed to weigh-in on this issue at another site, I have my answer already prepared. First, I wouldn't say that the machines are  unreliable, I'd say that they are liars, but why the companies that make them make them make them that way, I don't know. Anyway, here is the reply I tried to send  earlier to another site.

It's my contention that M.A. (mechanical advantage) has NOTHING to do with the unreliability/dishonesty of weight stack machines. Sure, we all know about levers, pulleys and such, but we should   never even have to think about M.A. All we need is for the dial/meter/gauge, etc. to reflect the real resistance. Think about it. If you knew the actual resistance at a particular setting, you could simply scratch out the lie and write in the correct weight with fingernail polish. Agreed? Well, since this could obviously be easily done, it's insulting to be told that the manufacturers couldn't etch/paint/label the CORRECT numbers when their machines are made. Damn them. This really makes me angry.

You sound quite mad? Not sure I understand why, you don't use weight machines in powerlifting competitons. You use weight machines, generally speaking, after you've completed compound movements when you're looking to isolate muscles more effectively due to stabilizers etc being a bit fatigued and I've never ever met a MALE who sits down and goes off numbers in this situation, you generally pick a slot in the stack based on how fucked you feel. I do however see bikini girls have numbers written down as if to think that doing 32 this week, but 36 last week means they're not going to build muscle as effectively... even tho they're on a giant calorie deficit to try acheive that skinny girl look on stage.

I had to re-read what you wrote a few times because it cracked me up so much, i can picture this dude at gym waving his fist at a weight stacked machine abusing it and calling it a liar hahah! Epic!

On 5/13/2016 at 8:44 AM, Niku said:

CSB