Size or Condition?

So I'm intrigued as to what your guys opinion is on size v condition? Now i'm not talking about some fat guy stepping on stage but lets say a good condition but large and proportionate muscles versus a guy shredded to death but smaller muscle size. Bodybuilding is very subjective so I expect different answers but for me I'm never gonna be the biggest guy in the world but all I care about (especially this time round) is being pretty much classed as dead my BF will be that low. Interested to hear your views.

1 hour ago, PETN said:

Its obviously going to be a different answer for different comparisons depending how shredded vs fat and how small vs big the guys are. 

I'm talking within a same class...so for example between 80-90kg there can be a huge difference but still in the same class

Yeah what i said applies to that. If one guy is say 0.1% bf leaner but 10kg lighter at same height then bigger guy is better. If its a big difference in leanness obviously its going to go either way then at some point then the other way at some further point (wherabouts of that point will be subjective) with the smaller leaner guy being better.

Be the same as asking who is a better powerlifter. Bigger guy lifting more or smaller guy lifting less. Obviously their bodyweight difference and the difference in the amount they lift is needed to give even an opinion on that.

You need an example (e.g. a pic of 2 guys side by side) of what sort of difference in size and conditioning youre meaning. Otherwise no one knows what exact difference in conditioning and size you have in mind so cant give their subjective opinion.

1 hour ago, PETN said:

Yeah what i said applies to that. If one guy is say 0.1% bf leaner but 10kg lighter at same height then bigger guy is better. If its a big difference in leanness obviously its going to go either way then at some point then the other way at some further point (wherabouts of that point will be subjective) with the smaller leaner guy being better.

You need an example (e.g. a pic of 2 guys side by side) of what sort of difference in size and conditioning youre meaning. Otherwise no one knows what exact difference in conditioning and size you have in mind so cant give their subjective opinion.

Something like this...

size v condition.jpg

Looking at just the size and leanness difference in that pic bigger guy for sure. Im sure muscle shape and proportion blah blah comes into it too,  but thats not what youre asking. 

Say you had identical twins and difference between them was that much size (heaps) and leanness (f*ck all) id definitely be inpressed more with the bigger one. Only my opinion though and idk anything about bodybuilding or have a heap of interest in it really. Be interesting to see what other people think.

i dont know about size vs condition, for me personally it comes down to symmetry, theres some big ass mongrels out there but look shit cause they got toothpick legs and calves or huge arms which over ride there shoulders etc etc i mean look at shawn ray, he was a smaller guy compared to his pears but he bought a lot to the stage

I think of bodybuilding as a combination of size, proportion and condition. The best combination of the 3 is what I prefer. So I'd rather a guy with full round muscle bellies, size with decent condition than a guy who's only redeeming factor is conditioning. I'd say though that experience tells me conditioning is what's rewarded 10 times out of 10 :) 

Edited by HarryB

Yeah I prefer a mixture of the 3. Size is good but not at the expense of a bloated distorted midsection and soft look. Conditioning is important but no good if it makes you look like a toothpick.  Personally I like the classic bodybuilders look . Zane , Arnold ,Levrone , Wheeler.   I think Arnold with one of the other guys legs would be the ideal look. Huge back, giant pecs arms and shoulders, lean waist and then some grunty quads,hams and calves.

25 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

Conditioning if by conditioning you actually mean athletic not just look athletic like 99% of people in bodybuilding. 

Would be awesome to run 400m in under 50 seconds and be of elite powerlifting strenght 

I think you completely missed the gist of the original post lol must have been recording it on your phone for posterity :)

5 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Conditioning if by conditioning you actually mean athletic not just look athletic like 99% of people in bodybuilding. 

Would be awesome to run 400m in under 50 seconds and be of elite powerlifting strenght 

It's bodybuilding dude........ Nobody cares how fast Steve orton can run when he's 115 odd kg shredded from head to toe lol...

59 minutes ago, HarryB said:

No he has to have muscle. But say I'm talking dexter vs .. well any of the huge guys. 

Lets put it into perspective with amateurs. In 2012 teina Omalley and jo ulberg both beat Garth vdm. Personally I don't agree with this as Garth was just too big in comparison and he didn't exactly have an ugly build. Not looking for a debate on the NZIFBB or politics etc it's just an example that comes to mind when thinking about big guys versus the smaller more aesthetic bodybuilder.

depends on the disparity between the two  your comparing.I mean, if you've got a huge guy with obvious muscle on his frame but big,watery and not in shape (an off lionel beyekke for example), up against a super shredded 20lb smaller guy I would tend to still give it to the bigger guy as the super shredded guy has just showed his ability to look like a skinny Kenyan marathon runner.I guess to sum it up you still need to have a descent amount of muscle on your frame wether that muscle is conditioned enough to see or not.

But in the end, BALANCE over EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I like the big full round muscle look

just lean enough to see the abs, that's when the guys look like beasts. 

But I know how hard the guys that are ripped up have worked, and had massive will power to achieve there chosen look. 

Big or lean still turn heads, they both look good at the end of the day.