Competing 5th June - Journal

Hi everyone so I'm gonna be competing in England on 5th June with a federation over here called PCA (previously IBFA). This federation has done wonders for the British boydbuilding scene and I wanted to have one last run before I head over to NZ where I'll be competing with NABBA.

Been a bit of a strange one as I was dieting at my own speed just for general health and well being as I felt I'd got a little out of shape, but then got told I was working at BodyPower with Marc Lobliner, Mike Rashid and Doug Millar about 4 weeks ago so decided to step it up a notch as I have to try hold my own!

I'm currently on around 1900 calories a day maybe a little less and have this week added in 40 minutes cardio fasted in a morning, with 40 minutes steady state after each session in the gym...no complete rest days but hitting weights 5 times a week.

Usually I have done classic bodybuilding the last 3 times but I'm going down the Physique route as my waist comes down to 27" and I have a very wide back and symmetrical, thick abs with good delts so think I might do better in Physique (fingers crossed).

My diet is largely protein and fats (Udo's Oil) with only 60g of carbs a day with the exception of leg day where I up carbs to 130g and drop 30g fat to offset the calories.

I'm hoping to come in the best condition I ever have and realise this is a bit of a crash diet to an extent but all being well I won't waste too much muscle.

Anyway Pseudo said to keep a journal not sure if this is what he meant but thought I'd keep you all updated! 

This is me 5 days ago...5 weeks out from show!

adamprogress.jpg

1 hour ago, Bigken1985 said:

Looking good bro, how are the legs, classic means your not in shorts but physique would mean you do board shorts. good luck man, some big names being dropped  

Cheers mate legs are average always been my weak point not through lack of training but the way I train them always gone heavy when I should have incorporated more volume. They're proportionate though. Always said i would never do physique but I may as well work with my strong points and try develop my legs and bring them back out when they're better. I'll try get a photo. Classic over here is traditional bodybuilding trunks not shorts too

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Good stuff, mate. You've clearly done this a few times before, so it'll be interesting to watch your progress.

What are your stats?

Are you taking any other supps to help prevent muscle wasting on such low calories?

What you mean by stats like weight BF etc?

Just taking aminos before I train in the morning and before I train at night supplement wise. Taking protein with oats after fasted cardio and after night session but once that tub is gone i'll be dropping it for solid food to try dry out a little more.

Yeah, I find height/weight often helps put a photo into perspective (by which I mean it identifies the short buggers who can look jacked without even trying!)

Had you thought about glutamine? That was recommended to me last time I crash dieted.

So every morning is consisting of 40 minutes (fasted) steady state on treadmill keeping it a fast walk on a steep incline but striding out to try and tie in the hams and glutes better.

Trained legs last night...dead!

Introduced a lot more volume compared to normal and keeping the tempo at 3 up 3 down so each set was lasting at least 60 seconds for the most part.

Barbell Squats: -

- 60 x 20 (2 sets)

- 70 x 15 (2 sets)

- 80 x 12

- 90 x 10

Leg Extensions : - 

- 60 x 20 (2 sets)

- 70 x 15 (2 sets)

- 80 x 12

- 90 x 10 multiple drop set back down to 60

Stiff Leg Deads : - 

- 60 x 20

- 70 x 15

- 80 x 10

- 90 x 7

Seated Leg Curls : - 

- 40 x 20

- 50 x 15

- 60 x 12

- 70 x 10 multiple drop set back down to 40

Lying Leg Curls : - 

- 30 x 20

- 35 x 15

- 40 x 12

- 45 x 10 multiple drop set back down to 30

Seated Calf Raises : -

- 50 x 20 (4 sets)

Standing Calf Raises : - 

- 80 x 20 (4 sets)

Finished off with 40 minutes steady state on treadmill as in morning.

This was pretty tough to say the least and cardio wise I was more or less just going through the motions!

On 5 May 2016 at 9:31 AM, Pseudonym said:

Yeah, I find height/weight often helps put a photo into perspective (by which I mean it identifies the short buggers who can look jacked without even trying!)

Had you thought about glutamine? That was recommended to me last time I crash dieted.

I'm 5ft7 and currently weigh 83kg think I was 86kg on that photo.

Glutamines good yeah I might try some I'll wait and see how I get on first.

i seem to have got a lot leaner already and on track for my best condition yet so I'm excited!

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Englishman88 said:

Glutamines good yeah I might try some I'll wait and see how I get on first.

I think I saw in another topic you said you usually cut on test? If you're doing that, maybe don't worry about the glutamine. I'm sure test will hold/increase your muscle mass way more than glutamine ever will!

Looking good, bro.

So i've upped my cardio to 2 hours a day, hour fasted in the morning LISS and hour after training LISS. I don't know where I'm getting the energy from which is almost having me questioning my nutrition as this time last year I was f**ked!

I've lowered my protein by 35g and upped my fats by 15g but considering dropping fats back down and keeping the extra calorie decrease. Noticing daily changes all be it small, but things like my linear alba getting deeper and my lower abs beginning to split finally.

Bit of a killer that I misunderstood the new class I'm doing as it's in a new fed they call it 'Athletic Physique' and thought this was normal physique...turns out its like a fitness model class so it's short shorts as I've done previously but this means I now have to worry about how conditioned my legs are!

Hard to notice how my legs are coming along as they're hairy and the amount of cardio I'm doing means they're constantly filled with water. Any advice on extra conditioning or tricks to bring legs out would be appreciated.

People do swear by high rep stuff to bring out the cuts in quads. Personally, I'm a bit sceptical about that - I think that you can build up the muscle and you can lose the fat to show more details, but anything beyond that I suspect is of limited value. 

What do you reckon, @HarryB?

I reckon the same as you. I'd also say deep tissue massage and a lot of stretching can help with showing more condition in your legs. Plus just practising posing them a lot if they're a problem area. 

For some people it can be a matter of hormone balance as well, so a good estrogen blocker should suffice to help in that regard. 

Shave them lol maybe that blinding condition is hidden under the hair :) but yeah its just if you're lean then you're lean all over. Posing is what will help the most imo

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

I reckon the same as you. I'd also say deep tissue massage and a lot of stretching can help with showing more condition in your legs. Plus just practising posing them a lot if they're a problem area. 

For some people it can be a matter of hormone balance as well, so a good estrogen blocker should suffice to help in that regard. 

Shave them lol maybe that blinding condition is hidden under the hair :) but yeah its just if you're lean then you're lean all over. Posing is what will help the most imo

haha thanks I'm gonna shave em next week to have a look although might do it this weekend cos it might be easier to pose.

I use hockey ball treatment for the massage especially down the ITB and the hams but I can't let anyone go near my legs I went through that pain once and I can't hack it I'm a bit of a girl like that.

Fingers crossed will just come through in time anyway and I'm throwing letrozole in as from Friday so that should help with estrogen.

Hey up guys.

Well this morning I switched my LISS to HIIT with 30 second sprints on/off and have taken out protein shakes completely! All whole foods now which tbh I don't mind.

Just wondering if you guys know any actual scientific reason that bodybuilders take shakes out close to comp? I know it's to dry out but never found out how it actually does this (which I should probably know).

Anyway here's a back shot to see conditioning I'll get one of my legs today haha.

Quality of the photo isn't brill sorry.

adam back.jpg

16 minutes ago, Englishman88 said:

Just wondering if you guys know any actual scientific reason that bodybuilders take shakes out close to comp?

I think one answer is water retention, which may possibly, conceivably, anecdotally, be caused by dairy. But I doubt it makes much difference.

The other reason I've seen is the insulin response. This theory maybe has a little more merit in it... The thinking is that whey is so rapidly digested it produces more insulin than slower digesting proteins, which is conducive to fat storage - or would be if you weren't in caloric deficit. At this point it comes down to how much you believe in IIFYM. :-p

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I think one answer is water retention, which may possibly, conceivably, anecdotally, be caused by dairy. But I doubt it makes much difference.

The other reason I've seen is the insulin response. This theory maybe has a little more merit in it... The thinking is that whey is so rapidly digested it produces more insulin than slower digesting proteins, which is conducive to fat storage - or would be if you weren't in caloric deficit. At this point it comes down to how much you believe in IIFYM. :-p

Nice one that rings a bell about insulin response :) 

Hopefully it will be worth it 2 weeks and 6 days to go!

Another possible reason is that your body has to work harder to break down whole foods so adds to the energy expenditure on top of everything else you're doing. 

Personally I take it protein powder out dependent on the person's response to it whether it be water retention or just general gastric disturbance lol 

13 hours ago, HarryB said:

Another possible reason is that your body has to work harder to break down whole foods so adds to the energy expenditure on top of everything else you're doing. 

Personally I take it protein powder out dependent on the person's response to it whether it be water retention or just general gastric disturbance lol 

Lol I can't remember the last time I took a sh*t! I dropped my calories to 1500 yesterday for these final 3 week push. Legs are starting to show now too. I would like my waist to be narrower but to be honest I'm happy just being able to function at work still. I watched the last show the federation ran and checked out the athletic physique class and the standard was alright so fingers crossed I'll be up against some good guys on stage. Was looking at Auckland on 25th June I think it is with NABBA.

Just thought I'd let you know my current diet as from yesterday...

Upon Waking - Fasted cardio using BCAA's

Meal 1 - 3 whole eggs scrambled

Meal 2, 3, 4 & 5 - 150g chicken breast, 15g MCT Fat's

Weights session using BCAA's

Meal 6 - 3 whole eggs scrambled

I then cycle my carbs in no particular manner but ensuring I don't over indulge and that calories are kept the same when manipulating my carb to fat ratio.

On 17 May 2016 at 9:18 PM, Pseudonym said:

So what sort of macros are we talking now? My guesstimate is about 160g protein, 90g fat. Is that about right?

Yep more or less mate give or take 10g on the protein but the fats sit around 85-90g. Seem to be getting more peeled each day now! Considering Auckland in July but dunno if I'll want to hold condition too long I'll just wanna eat haha