1st comp learnings and road to the nationals

beefneggs

So, forever I thought of competing and in March I competed at the pro am after I dieted down from a fluffy fat 124 to 100kg .

I was at one stage 160kg when I was 21...largely muscle, largely water, all gear but strong as f*ck but dumb as shit nutrition wise

The journey was awesome and the results good for a first timer, now to pick up the game some and grow into the next show and see if i have what it takes .....................................................................What I took away from the whole thing thus far is below

Key learnings

• The "permabulk" just doesnt work. You might look huge in a tight t shirt but stand next to a ripped 80 kg guy with no shirt and youre just fat in bb terms- so either get lean and mean or stop claiming youre a bodybuilder when you dont compete
  • Dieting with the right coach is easy , my prep was pretty easy and my strength remained solid right up until the last two weeks
  • Trust the process, the changes in the last week with water loading etc was freaky
  • Cardio, plus solid nutrition and training beats weights only and killing yourself with super strict eating - for me any ways 

• Steve Orton is a fucken cool guy and when I walked behind him I felt like I was at the Olympia - hes just that massive and lean
  •  But...................................................the biggest learning was DONT HAVE A SHITTTTTTTY PIG OUT BETWEEN THE DAY SHOW AND THE NIGHT SHOW .....I KNOW THIS FOR THE NEXT SHOW!!!!!!!

Here are some progress pics............ Ill try update when I can

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_2901 (1).JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2916 (1).JPG

IMG_3041 (1).JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_3098 (1).JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0705.PNG

IMG_3138 (1).JPG

Yeah bro , coz I held so much fat and water we started 20 weeks out....it was a mind f*ck the last two weeks as I got as low as 96 and then couldnt get any lower for a whole week - then I started filling out and and the weight crept up and the last 4 days I did no cardio which,  retrospectively was probably dumb but I travelled to Aucks early so I didnt encounter any flight induced water retention - so on weigh in I was 100 on the money without carb loading. 

The morning of the show I ate fats and protein - post the first show I was fucken over it so just ate 3 burgers and some simple carbs- had a slepp and woke up going shit shit shit water retention!!!! stood in my mirror for an hour posing to get rid of it. Lets say I wont do that again.

Obviously because Im older now and I seem to blow up on carbs - staying true to the food until the game is over is a better way to go - but its all a learning and you dont know how your body will react :)

Today @ 111 ...trying not to blow up too much - holding a bit of water so hopefully wont be a hard road to get to 97-100 for the nationals. Trying to hit back twice a week as my back was a bit flat and needed some more muscle.

Lesson two dont stop heavy pulls ffs I traded them off for more fluffy exercises ffs lesson learned 

IMG_3772.JPG

Did legs today, trying to bring some more mass to them as in March I had a few issues 6 months prior which involved a IT band tear which never left and squats, leg press etc really aggravated it so I used box squats and extensions and focused on hams and calves .

extensions 5 sets warm up half rack x 15 reps

Pause squats 60 x 10 reps x 2 w/ups 

100 kg x 4 sets 2 second pause x 10 reps

1 sets 140 6 reps ....this reminded me how hard squats are - especially as Im weak out of the hole 

box squats x 5 sets 140, 180 x 2 , 200 x 1 set 220 x 1 set  6 reps

single leg press 5 sets 10 reps 120 kg 

standing leg curls half rack x 5 sets, 8 reps

stiff leg deads with dumbbells 5 sets 32kg ( each hand ) - to 50's x 8 reps

had a shower and gapped it to work 

• 4 weeks later...

Delts and triceps ( I do arms twice a week so this is more like some extra work at the end of my shoulders w/o)

Smith machine front press - w/u 20 kg each side x 20 - 2 sets

Set 1 - two 20's each side x 10

Set 2 - same  reps 

Set 3 - same plus an extra 5 a side - reps 8

sets 4 - same plus a ten -6 reps 

Hammer delt press

2 x 20's each side x 15 reps - 2 sets

same plus a 10 each side x  8 reps - 2 sets

set 3 ( 1st 2 arent working sets ) same weight plus 5 extra a side 2 sets 6-8 reps

Side raises - dumbells

Yeah bro- ketogenic diet is well so far as i understand it looked at two ways high high fat , no carbs and f all protein AKA atikins diet- which for fat loss and non lifters I guess is ok.

Keto , the one Im using is more a bodybuilding style , high protein and high fats - min carbs from fibre. 

For me personally , it worked well as Im a carboholic and Ill scoff my face if Im not careful which means Ill retain water more and get an increased fat accumulation.

My breakfast is 2 cups of liquid egg whites , some low fat bacon and a bit of avacado - 

Mid morning, shake x 2.5 scoops ( 50 grams protein) and peanut butter 

Next meal , lean mince 300 grams , 2 cups brocolli ......so on and so forth 

Did quads and some hammys at 6am my normal training time 

3 sets 20 reps extensions- warm up

Box squats 2 x 100 kg w/up 12 reps, 140 kg x 10 reps 2 sets , 170 x 8 reps x 3 sets , 180 x 6 reps ( testing my adductor out as I have a flare up , as well as a spinal erector issue ) could have gone to 200 but injuries suck so I eased off.

Single leg press no warm up straight into working sets 140 x 10 reps x 5 sets

smith machine lunges 30 a side, sets of 10 x 4 

Leg extensions 3/4 rack 6 sets of 15 

Standing leg curls - half the rack for sets of 10 x 5 

Stiff leg deadlift sets of 10 x 5 @ 100kg 

Good start to the week - weighed in at 106.8 ........still to do 45 mins cardio before bed 

On 29/05/2016 at 6:19 AM, Island_Moose said:

Mate can you describe what "keto" is?  

Im trying to cut from 117-107 without losing horrific amounts of muscle on a balanced (macro) diet well under my maintenance calcs...it ain't working. 

Beefneggs is right in regards to keto being protein and fats mainly but be cautious as you don't just become ketogenic its a natural physiological change that happens anywhere from 2 to sometimes 12 weeks depending on your level of body fat and at this point your body starts to place fat as a primary fuel source over carbs. This is highly effective for fat loss but you can also then start integrating carbs (carb cycling) to keep your muscles looking full and keep your strength up. As long as you stay in ketosis you will maximise fat loss.

P.S. Great work beefneggs!

Went to gym today, weighed 106.7 no cardio last night.

Did chest and biceps ( got a standalone day for arms which I do with hamstrings  so double up on chest and shoulders and do bis and tris with these two )

All the benches "suprisingly " we busy , so did hammer strength incline...

3 x wups for 12 reps - 3 plates a side

3 sets of work sets 8 reps 4 plates a side

Incline bench , straight into it 2 plates a side x 8 reps x 4 sets

Incline dumbell fly- 4 sets 10 reps with 36 kg dumbells

Did 4 sets of 15 reps cable cross over

4 sets incline bicep curls with 22 kg dumbells

4 sets preacher curls 15 kg a side x 10 reps

standiong cable curls 4 sets 10 reps 

Finished off fuckin about on pec deck - did the stack x 10 for a few sets then gapped .

My waist looked tiny , obliques were there , abs coming through stronger now :)

• 4 weeks later...

Been training non stop for the 4 weeks , still lifting heavy , no strength drops - actually strength increases and mad pumps post cheat day .

Not really able to post regularly due to work commitments and supporting my Mrs's prep but here are some progress pics.

Currently sitting at 106.5 with 15 weeks to go- wanting to be ready in 11-12 though .

Cardio 5 x a week 45 mins a day now- might switch out 2 days for HIIT as I didnt do these last time and perhaps might yield better results .

15 weeks out.PNG

D quads.PNG

DMRZ2431 (1).jpg

17 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Awesome man.. You're gonna be shredded

Thanks bro, 100 on the day was pretty decent  - but I was flat as a pancake and I think coz I was expelling water on stage I was probably not dry enough. Im gonna try come in at a lower weight with feathered glutes and tri's if possible 

1 hour ago, beefneggs said:

Thanks bro, 100 on the day was pretty decent  - but I was flat as a pancake and I think coz I was expelling water on stage I was probably not dry enough. Im gonna try come in at a lower weight with feathered glutes and tri's if possible 

Mean bro. What did you do for your water and your load?

Current condition as we tick over to the 14 week mark . Hoping to be ready early. Switched things up diet wise and will be still going Keto , just stripping fat back as the day gets on. Basically high fat pre training and cascade it back - so expect to be hungry - but this is good .

One re feed day a week , one week shit loading , next week clean carb loading . Aiming for 1000 grams carbs in that day.

Not much has changed except for some stpid reason I got stronger and put on 2 kg - currently 108.8  - but its time to step it up now 

IMG_4441 - Copy.JPG

I do struggle and have done in the past, but this time Im gonna try get there.

200 grams dry pasta - 150 grams cho

4-5 bagels- 200-300 grams cho

200 grams polenta - made into chips - 140 grams carbs

200 grams of white rice plus honey- 220

500 grams of kumara - 160 

100 grams of oats 100 carbs or there abouts 

thats 6-7 meals with protein and clean.....................................................on the other hand on the dirty week

10 cookies, some cake, pizza, chicken sandwiches , a loaf of homemade fruit bread , some pancakes - the list could go on........

The funny thing is I usually look like a pregnant woman by the end of it 

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update due to work being frantic !

Into the 13 week mark now and have been doing an hour cardio 6 days a week. 

Currently post cheat day- clean carbs two days ago and decided to see how fat I looked holding water from the cheat meal and well still being fluffy . Looking to be 105 by the end of this week. Was 106.5 by the end of the previous seven days...........Photo courtesy of my 7 year old so not flexing quads as this was the best of a bad bunch .

Will get some back ones done once my back drops some fat and water 

IMG_4661.JPG