NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
trainlikeafreak

Tlaf bodybuilding journal

4 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Hahaha yeah bro. At springs lol. Does he still play there?

it was more my movement pattern. Like I was taught to keep my elbows close and feel the lat. I wasn't taught to flare the elbow and feel the upper back and what not. Hits eat more fibres this way. TBH I didn't really feel the 100. If I go to 90 I still get tension. I used to do 3 plates for sets of 8 and still feel my Lats but I can't anymore. I bend right over now too so I'm basically at 90 degrees or just over if I'm going "heavy". I've never been a believer In lifting weight I can't "feel" but maybe I should give it a go for thickness???

I credit those big rows to my big deadlift. I think doing that heavy weight when I was younger being in that bent over position and holding that position really gave a good base to my back. I have a thick back and massive erectors lol.

nah he plays for Missouri state university in USA. They are a div 1 NCAA team, which is the top college competition. Took him a while to adjust because they play a totally different style. And have subs like basketball they they constantly Taking players on and off like basketball. He was starting games in his first year which is pretty rare, usually freshman sit on the bench their first year. Next year is his last year, he's played 2 seasons, got 2 to go. hopefully he can get something out of it.

football/soccer hard sport to make it in so many players and the politics is unreal prob why all whites so shit. NZ football is rife with politics. They were cunting him round with the NZ u20 squad when they had World Cup here. So he got a scholarship to go over there. Heaps a kiwis go over to play there but not many for a div 1 team who top there conference. The American college athletic system is weird  as though man. So much money in it but players get nothing. Coaches being paid millions etc.

anyway when's the bbing comp?

9 hours ago, Realtalk said:

I credit those big rows to my big deadlift. I think doing that heavy weight when I was younger being in that bent over position and holding that position really gave a good base to my back. I have a thick back and massive erectors lol.

nah he plays for Missouri state university in USA. They are a div 1 NCAA team, which is the top college competition. Took him a while to adjust because they play a totally different style. And have subs like basketball they they constantly Taking players on and off like basketball. He was starting games in his first year which is pretty rare, usually freshman sit on the bench their first year. Next year is his last year, he's played 2 seasons, got 2 to go. hopefully he can get something out of it.

football/soccer hard sport to make it in so many players and the politics is unreal prob why all whites so shit. NZ football is rife with politics. They were cunting him round with the NZ u20 squad when they had World Cup here. So he got a scholarship to go over there. Heaps a kiwis go over to play there but not many for a div 1 team who top there conference. The American college athletic system is weird  as though man. So much money in it but players get nothing. Coaches being paid millions etc.

anyway when's the bbing comp?

Oh bro that's awesome. I know guys who have gone to the states to play at colleges etc. if they go well they usually end up somewhere. I know people who have gone to Asia to play as there is money there.

nz football is political as man. Back when I was u15 I made the Auckland soccer2 team and the team was basically pre chosen. They'd take like 3 players from the trial and the rest of the team was set. Remember the captain of the team had a hamstring injury at the time and the selectors were telling him to take it easy lol. 

Also when I made Waitak utd youth we had to go through an academy for $300 odd and there were like 40 players. Second to last week a team rocks up in Waitak gear and it's the Waitak team, I played with a few of them at Auckland. Anyway 3 of us from the academy were selected. Anyone could do the academy as long as their club nominated them. Huge money maker. All sport is political but if you're good enough you'll make it. Keep me updated with your brother bro I'm interested to hear about how he goes.

Trained Arms today. Standard workout. 4 Tri exercises for 10-15 reps and 3 bicep exercises 12-15 reps. I'll post tomorrow's delt session.

not sure what I weigh but my triceps are feathered, still have a belly though.

10 hours ago, Realtalk said:

nah he plays for Missouri state university in USA. They are a div 1 NCAA team, which is the top college competition.

Is this Jack we're talking about? Shit, that's impressive!

28 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Tricep kickbacks superset with concentration curls! 

Lol I did do concentration curls but no kick backs. I dunno why people knock those exercises to be honest. They seem to work ok for me. You can load concentration curls up quite heavy and get a really good contraction

9 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Lol I did do concentration curls but no kick backs. I dunno why people knock those exercises to be honest. They seem to work ok for me. You can load concentration curls up quite heavy and get a really good contraction

I used to really like the preacher curl machine when the gym I was at had one. You use one of them?

17 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I used to really like the preacher curl machine when the gym I was at had one. You use one of them?

Yeah I like those I use them when I can. I'm training at work at the moment so mainly just free weights. I prefer machine preachers over free weight preachers. Wolfs gym Henderson have a good one

3 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

I prefer machine preachers over free weight preachers. Wolfs gym Henderson have a good one.

That's the one strategically positioned in front of the mirror?! I think that's Wolf's favorite machine too. ?

22 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Yeah there is that one and there is the other one which is like the trade mark Dorian one. The elbow pads are high and you curl to the ear.

cant say I've seen him do that lol

Lol ask him to 

Delts.

thought I'd do something a little different today  so I did 10 sets of 60kg seated barbell press. Pretty much goes against a whole lot of the training principles that I believe in lol but I figured why not change it up and give my joints a rest. The reps went something like this:

All over the place lol. I was hoping for more reps but meh. The sets were done in an I go, you go fashion and workout was completed in 25 mins (including a few warm up sets). Delts feel absolutely toasted. I highly recommend trying this on your next shoulder day to mix things up. 

Legs this morning 8am at Les mills new Lynn again with my mate. Very very hard one today, another Dugdale special.

lying leg curls 

4 sets of 10 reps

last set was a triple drop set, 10 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps, holding the last rep in the contracted position for 15 seconds

Free hack squat machine (same as last week)

reps were as follows, started with a plate and added 5kg each set

12 reps

8 reps for 6 sets

7 reps

6 reps

5 reps

had to rest pause 2 of the sets of 8. The weight was probably too heavy for me but you just can't bitch out on leg day lol.

leg press

3pps x12

4pps x12

5pps X 15 45 second rest 15 reps 30 second rest 25 reps

single leg press

2pps x15

leg extension

Triple drop set, 8 second hold at the top of the first rep of every drop followed by 7x pump reps.

so 8,8,8 followed by 30x body weight walking lunges.

absolutely destroyed.

Legs are so so sore. I actually had quite bad DOMS in my delts too which is uncommon. Funny because it  as a 25 minute workout, goes to show the importance of pressing. I also have doms in my Lats from my delt workout lol. Anyway trained chest today so I tried to work around sore shoulders. My left pec attachment has also felt a bit funny this past week so decided to drop the weight a bit and hit more reps.

low incline DB press with a 2-3 second pause at the bottom of every rep and a big squeeze at the top.

10k, 15k, 20k, 25k, 30k, 35k all for 10 reps

40kgx10

40kgx8

flat bench press

60x12

80x12 x2 sets

low incline DB flys, again a pause in the stretched position

10,12.5 x12 reps

15kgx12 reps, 2 -3 sets

low incline hammer press

2-3 sets 15-20 reps

flat DB fly

15kgx3 sets 15 reps plus

4x sets standing calf raises for 10 reps

done... Chest is feeling hammered.

Back.

single arm barbell rows (like a tbar/DB row)

reps were

started on 1x 10k plate and added one each set for the first 4 sets.

wanted to progressively get heavier each set and I did however we don't have an attachment at my gym for t bars so the bar starting flinging all over the place. Annoying but amazing tension on this I felt it much more than a standard DB row. 

Upper back row using lat pull down

10x4 sets

db pull overs

30kg x10, 4 sets

lat pull downs facing away from the machine, no momentum all lat

6 drop set 6

weight was the same each set and every set was to failure

underhand pull ups (negatives only!)

jumped off the ground to the contracted position then performed a slow eccentric (3 second minimum)

3 sets of 6

bb shrugs

3-4 sets 

10 reps in front 10 reps behind

got this workout online from mark dugdale. Since my legs are so so sore I figured why not try it for back. Good session.

5 hours ago, HarryB said:

How's your knee holding up to the increased volume and intensity? 

Actually really well (touch wood). Probably because heaps of volume but the weights aren't super heavy. Although the machine squats were (for me). I still have some minor swelling/inflammation as I write this lol but nowhere near as bad and it's not stopping me being able to train hard. I honestly think my legs have grown from the past two weeks.

just trained arms. Nothing worth noting. 4x bis 4x tris. 3-4 sets per exercise. Good pump, arms vascular and pumped etc. everything is sore today. Legs sore, back sore, traps sore, chest sore, arms sore from back lol (tris from pullovers and bis from other stuff).  So tomorrow is a rest day and shoulders on Thursday. Feeling good

Delts today

warmed up on DB presses and my joints felt like asshole today so I decided after last weeks 10 sets of pressing today I would back off a bit and hit the angles. Of bodybuilding has taught me anything over the years it's that it's a lot better to listen to your body and back off  and chase the pump when need be rather than soldier on like a nut case and get injured. That's my excuse for being a weakling anyway lol.

35k x15

25k x15

25k x15

seated reverse fly super setted with face pulls with a 2 sec pause

4x sets 10 reps each 

db front raise leaning way back on an incline and bringing the db's all the way up as if I'm pressing them

3 sets of 15

kettle bell side raises for a change

12kg 4 sets of 10-12

db shrugs with a squeeze

4x12

stabding calf raises

3x10

nothing crazy today but better than nothing. Rest Tomorrow, legs Saturday.