NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
trainlikeafreak

Tlaf bodybuilding journal

Generally 4 eggs on toast for breakfast. 250g meat with some form of carbs and veg 3x per day. A double shake at some point and a milky shake with PB before bed. Oh and post workout shake/banana. I'll post it up when I get into it properly in a few weeks

Been sick and haven't trained for the past 7 days. Back at it either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll see how i feel. I have addressed my nutrition as of today so I will begin to take things a little more seriously and less relaxed so I am expecting that to result in less body fat and more muscle mass. exciting times

First day back in 11 days due to being sick. Everything felt so heavy and the pump wasn't anything to write home about but hey I got it done. I didn't push things just trained for feel and did what I needed. Will train like this until Monday.

db shoulder press

40kgx10

30kgx15

side laterals

3 sets of 10 reps

alternating front raises

3 sets of ten reps

seated barbell press

2 sets of 10 reps. Only used a plate lol weak

standing reverse flys

3 sets of 10-15

flat bench

3 sets of 15. Felt awesome on the chest. Maybe cause I was making such an effort NOT to use the delts? Who knows but felt great tension.

cavle crunches 3 sets of 12

legs or back tomorrow. Then back to my normal split starting Sunday. Diet is going well and appetite is starting to pick up so that's a good sign that my body is functioning how I need it to.

Ok had a decent week training so far. BW dropped heaps since being sick and starting the diet but hey that's ok. Did delts today. Had a 45min pads session last night so pretty sore and my triceps are really tight from tuesday. Actually everything is sore this week I am surprised actually I didn't think 11 days off would make such a difference to DOMS

Seated bb press 

80kg x10, 8, 6

single arm lateral raises on a lean

3 sets of 12 reps 

ez bar front raises

3 sets of 12-15 reps

high incline DB press (for delts)

just thought I'd change up the angle a bit. My training partner always does this angle and his delts are his best body part 

3 sets of 15-20

bent over reverse flys

3 sets of 10

low incline flys

3-4 sets of 10-12 reps using 15s

pretty tame session but got the job done.

2 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

high incline DB press (for delts)

just thought I'd change up the angle a bit. My training partner always does this angle and his delts are his best body part 

Any thinking around this? What's the difference between this and seated DB press in terms of how it hits delts? (I'd have thought the only difference is that this incorporates more chest?)

Probably targets a bit more front delt. The way most people do presses and angle their bodies it's all a high incline anyway. 

I think when you have a bit of upper back thickness sitting in a straight seat actually pushes you forward especially if you're trying to keep your lower back against the bench. So I always sit the bench back a little. 

14 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Any thinking around this? What's the difference between this and seated DB press in terms of how it hits delts? (I'd have thought the only difference is that this incorporates more chest?)

Basically what Harry said. It doesn't hit chest at all but that's because I turn it off and just press with the delt. I just go straight up and down with the DBs in a really fluid motion. I dont go heavy using this angle and I definitely prefer a straight angle for shoulder press but it was just to do something a bit different.

i did notice it was easy to keep a straight back as opposed to the arch I usually have on a 90 degree bench. The angle is only slightly back though, like way too high to target your upper pecs unless you really really concentrated on them. 

Chest today. Awesome session. Every Sunday starting today all of my competition clients get together and train. Kind of like a workshop. Anyway everyone fed off eachother and it was just awesome.

low incline DB press

40kgx10 

50kgx10

50kgx8

low incline fly

15k x8

17.5k x8

20k x8

22.5k x8

flat bench press

80k x12

100kg x8 drop set 60kg x6

60kg x15 or so

flat fly 

20kg x8, 3 sets

flat DB press

3 sets of 12-15 reps, constant tension branch warren style lol.

db shoulder press

30kg X 12-15

35kg X 12-15 reps, 2 sets

done. Awesome pump. Back tomorrow.

Ok so my chest is absolutely wrecked from Sunday. I can't remember the last time it's been this sore so I did something right. Back on Monday was good. Lots of angles. Arms yesterday. 4 movements for biceps and 4 for triceps. 8-15 reps. They are sore today as well. I have a pads session shortly and am training delts tomorrow so will be sure to log that workout.

8am leg session at Les mills new Lynn today with a mate.

lying leg curls

3 sets 10 reps with a pause at the top

squat machine thing (the white one for those who know it - it's deadly lol)

did 4 sets of 10 reps, I am unsure how much weight we used but for those that are familiar with this machine and its movement patterns it doesn't really matter

leg press

sets of 20 working up to 20 reps, 1min rest, 20 reps, 1 min rest, 20 reps. 

Single leg press

12 reps, last rep 15 second hold at the bottom. 2 sets

this killed me. Single leg press fires so many muscles that don't really fire when doing doubles. Awesome.

romanian deads

3 sets 20 reps

leg extension

2 sets of 20

heaps of volume for me at the moment. Legs feel like jelly and I'm exhausted. Awesome session. Chest tomorrow with my group. Gonna be off the hook

Chest

low incline flys

10k, 12.5k, 15k, 17.5k, 20k all for 12 reps. This seriously hurt lol. I find higher rep flys probably the sorest chest exercise

low incline DB press

35kx12, 2 sets. Chest already feeling fried.

high incline barbell press

70kx 2 sets. Second set was a drop set. Reps were 8-12

flat DB fly ss bench press

20kg fly for 8 reps followed by a 60k concentrated bench press for 10-12

3 sets

standing lateral raises for 4 sets of 15 and 4 sets of standing calf raises for 10 reps.

good workout

Was supposed to train back today but ended up playing a fill in game of football for mount Albert ponsonby reserves. Good 2-0 win against bay Olympic in the cup. For those who don't know I come from a huge football background so I enjoy to get out there and play when the opportunity arises. 

Back tomorrow, arms and pads Wednesday, delts Thursday, legs Friday or Saturday. It's going to be a full on week.

13 hours ago, Matrix said:

Good result against Bay Oly!

Yep they were pretty woeful man, especially for a premier league side haha.

back yesterday

lat pull downs 

3 sets 8-12 reps

db rows

3 sets 12 reps, 50k 

underhand pull downs 

3 sets 10-12

barbell rows

60x10

100x8

60x10

60's were obviously very concentrated. I'm not sure why but I struggle to get "feel" like I used to on heavy barbell rows. Mind you I used to row with my Lats and now I row with my upper back. Probably why I always had decent Lats and no upper back lol.

leaning back lay pull down rows

3 sets of 12

deadlifts

first time deadlifting In too long. Just thought I'd do 6 reps each set whilst adding a plate. Got to 4pps. Weak but that's ok it's a start.

overall good session

51 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Isn't 4pps a rep pr.. whatever that is.. 

i think tlaf did 220 x 8 a while back maybe im thinking of someone else, was impressed af at the time

Brah remember my little brothers team beat your team... Yeah chur bro lol.

bent over bb row I find a wider grip gets lats. I like to bring my grip quite narrow and feel it takes the lats out of it abit. Iv always used it as a move weight through space type exercise. Until recently when I don't really go over 100 or 120 any more. Good base builder but pointless for me to do 200+ kg bent over rows now. Getting old.

6 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Brah remember my little brothers team beat your team... Yeah chur bro lol.

bent over bb row I find a wider grip gets lats. I like to bring my grip quite narrow and feel it takes the lats out of it abit. Iv always used it as a move weight through space type exercise. Until recently when I don't really go over 100 or 120 any more. Good base builder but pointless for me to do 200+ kg bent over rows now. Getting old.

Hahaha yeah bro. At springs lol. Does he still play there?

it was more my movement pattern. Like I was taught to keep my elbows close and feel the lat. I wasn't taught to flare the elbow and feel the upper back and what not. Hits eat more fibres this way. TBH I didn't really feel the 100. If I go to 90 I still get tension. I used to do 3 plates for sets of 8 and still feel my Lats but I can't anymore. I bend right over now too so I'm basically at 90 degrees or just over if I'm going "heavy". I've never been a believer In lifting weight I can't "feel" but maybe I should give it a go for thickness???