Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tlaf bodybuilding journal

trainlikeafreak

292 posts in this topic

Robbed imo. This is why I can't stand bodybuilding no one knows wtf is going on. You beat this guy at qualifier then you got better. ok he got better, but did he improve that much? I don't think he improved as much as you did in that time. And that's what this forum is for. Speaking your mind about shit and not bowing down to the federations or people who run them cause youre an arse licker and scared you won't get preferential treatment if you speak your mind. 

trainlikeafreak likes this

59 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Robbed imo. This is why I can't stand bodybuilding no one knows wtf is going on. You beat this guy at qualifier then you got better. ok he got better, but did he improve that much? I don't think he improved as much as you did in that time. And that's what this forum is for. Speaking your mind about shit and not bowing down to the federations or people who run them cause youre an arse licker and scared you won't get preferential treatment if you speak your mind. 

I'm reluctant to agree as I don't want to come across as a sore loser but I have looked at the pics a million times over and just can't justify it lol. I have my own reasons as to why it went the way it did and maybe I am reading too much into things but anyway I'll save that for another day. The thing that's annoying is the lack of consistency. Don't award condition at one show and size at another.  Especially when it's the same two guys going at it lol. I'd understand if I was tiny, or if my condition didn't change from regionals to nats.. but it did and noticeably. Oh well.. moral of the story is get bigger for next time so and give no room for questioning the final outcome. 

HarryB likes this

True true. You can't change this outcome so you just come back next time bigger and harder and make it undeniable. At the end of the day you kicked your own ass from every previous outing and that's all you can control. 

Delts and arms

reverse pec dec dead stop style (heavy) with a paused contraction. All rear delt

did probably 3 build up sets then

stack x12

stack x8-10 DS 8-10

incline reverse db kick backs (heavy) SS reverse fly (straight arm, top half of movement only)

20kg x10 SS 5kg 10-15 x2 sets

seated lat raise ss standing partials using the same dbs

12.5kg x10/10

15kg x10/10

17.5kg x10/10

20kg x8/10

smith press. Delts were bothering me so slowed everything down

1.5pps x12x2 sets

BHN constant tension on smith 

1pps x12 SS .5 pps x15-20, 2 sets

smith shrugs 

3.5pl x12 x2 sets

did a few build up sets as well

bb curl heavy

40kg x10

60kg x6

40kg x12

push downs 

stack x6-8 DS 6/8 x2 sets

skull crushers using Olympic bar. Never done these before.. omg all tricep

barx12

40kgx6 x2 sets

hammer curl

20kgx10

25kg x10

30 Mins bike

good workout. Shoulder is definitely feeling heaps better (touch wood) and this was my first day doing heavy arm work in a while.. felt awesome. They will be sore tomorrow but that's ok cause it's leg day.

Workout rules no knee wraps but a belt is okay.

A) LEG EXTENSIONS
1) 10 reps with a two second contraction, 10 reps pumped, 10 reps as partials. All using the same weight 
2) same as set 1, same weight

B) SQUATS
Choose a weight you think you can get 20 reps with and do 2x max reps sets. I used 100kg
1) 30 reps
2) 20 reps

C) HACK SQUATS (HEAVY) 3-4 second negatives. 
1) 6 reps
2) 75% ish of the weight from set 1 for 12 reps
To give you an idea I used 5 plates per side followed by 3 plates per side.

D) LEG PRESS (hands on knees/quads-not on handles) 6pps slow controlled 
1) 20 reps
2) same weight 15-20 reps

E) SEATED LEG CURLS
1) 10 reps with a 2 second squeeze, 10 reps pumped using the same weight
2) same as set 1

F) ROMANIAN BB DEADLIFTS (HEAVY) 100kg
1) 8 reps with a 2 second pause in the stretched position, initiate glutes and draaaaag it up with the hammies and glutes
2) same as set 1
3) same as set 1

G) SEATED CALF RAISES (REPS)
1) 12-15 reps with hard contractions followed by as many partials needed to get to 20 reps
2) same as set 1
3) same
4) same

H) GLUTES - 2 sets 

HarryB likes this

Chest arms arms.. still nursing the delt

low incline fly with a pause

22.5 all for 10 reps

high incline smith press with 6 sec negatives

1.5ppsx10

2ppsx6, 2 sets

low incline db press

30kg, 35kg, 12-15 

flat db fly with a pause

15kgx12

20kgx6 DS 15kg x6

15kg x12

im finding te second I get close to failure and begin losing tension on my chest my delt feels dodgy.. so having to stop short 

flat bb

60kg extremely slow negative, pause and top and bottom. 12 reps all chest no delt

then 20 reps constant tension

push downs..2 sets of 12

bb skulls 6 reps ss rope push downs 10 reps..2sets

bb curl 40kgx10 SS cable curl close grip constant T 10 reps.. 3 sets

30 min bike

holding 109-110 arvo weight. Cals around 3500k and cheating 3-4x per week. 2 of those meals contain enough food to feed a small village.

gazza likes this

Hey guys. I got my show DVDs from last year back so thought I would post my nationals posing routine in my journal: 

training is going well. I am 120kg without really trying and I'm the leanest I have ever been at this size. I'm not lean lol but I wouldn't say I am fat either. My body seems to recognise this weight pretty easy so I always seem to get back here without really trying. in the past I had to eat soooo many cals to get to this BW and maintaining it was very hard. So that's a good sign.

today I trained chest

started on incline db for a few sets of 10-12 using 120lbs

did 3 sets of incline flys for 10-12 using the 75lbs 

followed by hammer strength decline then pec dec ss with the flat chest press machine.

getting strong so being cautious as I do not want any injuries.

HarryB, gazza and Pseudonym like this

4 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Hey guys. I got my show DVDs from last year back so thought I would post my nationals posing routine in my journal: 

Mirin serratus. 

Gift plz.

9 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

What weight were you in the video, mate?

Ummm I never weighed myself on show day but if memory serves me right on Thursday morning before a VERY heavy two day load I was 98.5-99kg ish... not sure if I gained weight or lost weight during my load though because I pulled water hard.. so let's just say 100kg or just under lol.

4 minutes ago, trainlikeafreak said:

Ummm I never weighed myself on show day but if memory serves me right on Thursday morning before a VERY heavy two day load I was 98.5-99kg ish... not sure if I gained weight or lost weight during my load though because I pulled water hard.. so let's just say 100kg or just under lol.

That was also my morning fasted weight I should say and not my gym after 4 meals and wearing shoes weight lol

Pseudonym likes this

Mean wheels mate, that vastus lateralis sweep is insane!

1 hour ago, gazza said:

Mean wheels mate, that vastus lateralis sweep is insane!

Thank you bro!

21 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

105 lol 

Today I trained chest and delts. Wasn't a good session. Didn't feel like training to be honest and that translated to the workout. My shoulder was giving me issues so I slowed everything down today as well.

started on incline db press quite a high incline

worked up 20lbs per set for 8 reps till I got to 130lbs and hit 6 reps all chest

did a back off set with the 100lbs after this.

low inc flys

just did 3 or so sets really feeling the motion and exaggerating the stretch position. Used 40lbs for sets of 10

flat barbell for the first time in forever

100k x8 ds 60k x10. Did two sets

finished with a chest press machine. Slow and squeezing hard. Sets of 8 and then a further 4-10 as a drop set. Did 3 sets.

machine shoulder press ss side lateral machine

3 sets 10-15 on each 

very average session. Could get into it 100%. Felt the same on Saturday so I skipped delts. Was saying to Harry I'd rather not train at all than having an average workout. At least that way you get a rest day. Been in a bit of a training slump recently so hopefully that fixes itself soon lol

Day off work tomorrow so procrastinated for a lot of the day before dragging myself to the gym. Didn't feel like training but has to be done. Today it was delts

seated barbell ohp

60kg x12

80kgx6

100kg x8

60kg x15

db side lateral raises 

did a couple sets of 15 then did two sets of 40lbs for 10 or so dropping to 25lba for a further 10 or so

machine side lateral raises with arms straight

10 reps with a pause at the top followed by 5 or so partials. Did two sets and the second was a drop set

rev pec dec 

4x12-15

deated fb press

60lbs x15

85lbs x10

These felt easy but it was feeling sore for wrong reasons so left it at that.

great pump today and happy with how my pressing is going.

HarryB likes this

Legs. Third session after a month off due to snapping up my right hammy hack squatting lol.

leg extensions to warm up 

warmed up in sets of 15 and did two working sets which went something like 10 reps ds 10 reps ds 10 reps

seated leg curls to warm up the hamstrings

did 1 work set which was 10-15 reps ds 10-15 reps. The first 15 I went all the way down, half way up, back down. That was 1 rep.

the reason I pre exhausted hammies was because when I got injured, we pre exhausted quads, then straight to hack squat with heaps of blood in my quads and none in my hammies.

leg press

4ppsx40

6pps x40

8ppsx35

10ppsx30

hack squat

3pps x10

4pps x10

5pps x6

seated calf raises

3x 10-15

done.

HarryB likes this

Chest

low incline DB

65kg x7

50kg x12

low incline fly

15 x12

20k x12

30k x8

cable flys

2 sets 8 drop set 8 squeezing hard stretching hard

bench press

2x sets of 8 reps with 100k

flat benching is what aggravates my shoulder so I keep the weight moderate and slow it right down. Really using the chest, did a few pause reps too.

push downs ss curls

3x sets 15 and 8

overhead cable ext 

2x12

hammer curl ss reverse curl

8-10/8-10

30 min cardio

Little update.

8 weeks difference, pretty much the same weight in both pics (120kg). Have been dieting for a big holiday in 4 weeks, mainly for comfort reasons although body weight hasn't really dropped lol. Not surprised cause when I diet I train harder and am more motivated, through this I gain strength and muscle and yeah. I've been pretty relaxed about things although I'm keeping an eye on carb timing and cycling of the carbs. I'm in a routine so I am ticking along nicely. Currently the strongest I have ever been and I'm toying with the idea of entering a powerlifting comp at my gym two days before I leave for a bit of fun:

FF3A10B5-9C43-4384-8725-60FC05280BA5.jpg

Pseudonym, gazza and Monarchking like this

I've committed to a novice PL comp in a few weeks so thought I'd log my sessions until then.

legs yesterday

leg extensions just to warm up 

squats 

140x3

170x3

180x3

190x3

200x3

leg press SS leg ext

reps were 20 and 15

4pps

6pps

8pps

10pps

seates leg curl

3x 12

romanian db deads

30x8

40x8

50x6 ds 30x10

legs were smoked

this is my second week into my program (if you wanna call it that). For squats last week I did 5s, this week 3's, next week 1's then an easy week before comp. same for deads. Bench however I am working up to a comp pause single and then back off doubles. Last week I did 150x 1, 160x 1 and then 3-4 sets of 140x2. This week I'll do similar. Will probably single 150/155 and double 145, see how I feel. Just need to get used to holding and pressing the heavy weight as it's something I never do as a bodybuilder. Actually haven't benched heavy in years so the hardest part for me is lowering the weight lol. 

Will mm keep this updated and post videos as I go.

oh and I am also In a pretty decent cal deficit for my holiday 2 days after the comp. 40g carbs pre/intra/post workout and that's all the carbs I eat. So will lose a few kgs along the way 

gazza, tomleegolf and Pseudonym like this

Squats are also raw, no wraps either due to comp rules. Happy about this as I believe you get more leg development without them. I've never gone up to or over 4pl without wraps so yesterday I guess was  milestone 

Good luck for meet prep. What's your previous 1RMs bro?