Jump to content
NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
cory_huges

Connor McGregor retires

Recommended Posts

He's definitely sitting out of UFC 200 it seems.

 

Very much seems likely it's a contract dispute. From what I've heard he was demanding $10 million plus PPV points. Looks like he got about $10 million all up from his loss to Diaz. Now he'll be wanting more.

 

Only way this card truly gets saved is if GSP comes back, and looks like 60% chance he will. GSP vs Nate would be huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

He's definitely sitting out of UFC 200 it seems.

 

Very much seems likely it's a contract dispute. From what I've heard he was demanding $10 million plus PPV points. Looks like he got about $10 million all up from his loss to Diaz. Now he'll be wanting more.

 

Only way this card truly gets saved is if GSP comes back, and looks like 60% chance he will. GSP vs Nate would be huge.

I seen that 10M thing around but then I watched a vid on youtube where in an interview Dana White said that it had nothing to do with money at all and that theory was just fabricated on the web

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cory_huges said:

I seen that 10M thing around but then I watched a vid on youtube where in an interview Dana White said that it had nothing to do with money at all and that theory was just fabricated on the web

 

First rule of UFC - Don't believe White lies.

 

If unprovoked, Dana says it's not about the money, it probably is. 

I hate to sound all cynical, but the guy lies like pinnochio on tren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wookie said:

 

First rule of UFC - Don't believe White lies.

 

If unprovoked, Dana says it's not about the money, it probably is. 

I hate to sound all cynical, but the guy lies like pinnochio on tren.

that makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did like Connor and still respect him immensely as a fighter but when people start thinking they're bigger than the sport they're involved in it starts putting me off wanting to watch them fight. Yes they should be aiming for a good pay cheque but heck they already make multi millions on a fight yet they just want more and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I did like Connor and still respect him immensely as a fighter but when people start thinking they're bigger than the sport they're involved in it starts putting me off wanting to watch them fight. Yes they should be aiming for a good pay cheque but heck they already make multi millions on a fight yet they just want more and more.

 

 

The UFC is notorious for treating fighters poorly. You do the numbers on what McGregor was bringing in on a pay per view and he's actually getting well under-paid compared to boxing. Let me put it this way, having McGregor on UFC 196 which sold 1.5million PPVs, vs the likely 400,000 it did without him (and that's being liberal), would mean there is close to $80 million extra revenue on PPV's alone. Getting $10million is perhaps as little as 10% of the value he's bringing to the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he checked himself and just pulled out. Immediate rematches in fighting sports historically favor the winner of the first. It's a dumb move fuelled by ego. He got his ass handed to him, while it's admirable he went up two weight classes and a good big man will almost always beat a good little man. Imagine losing the rematch what that does to your image. I think he had probably calmed down and had a think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Popular Contributors

    Nobody has received reputation this week.

×