beginners conditioning type workout

HarryB

7 minutes ago, HarryB said:

What's a good suggestion for somewhere I can get some good beginner type programmes. Not specific to anything just a generic bodybuilding and strength type set up. 

stronglifts 5x5 is good and has a app you can put on your phone that tells you what to lift, its not for powerlifting specifically, just for getting stronger for beginner. i did it 12 weeks at the start and rate it. squat/bench/ohp/deadlift/bb row basically.

theres heaps on bodybuilding.com too i'd post link but my work blocked it for some reason, probably think its a sterons dealer

Harry, we'll soon (soon-ish?!) be launching a new section of the site for more in-depth articles, how-to guides, and calculators. I reckon you're just the man to write such an article for teh newbs, and put a basic program together. It's exactly what we need. What say you?

• 2 weeks later...

as a beginner you need to first build some good foundations.stick to the basics squats deadlifts bench.rep range 4 to 16,might sound boring but gets results.there are so many options and conflicting advice on getting started.KISS is good advice...keep it simple stupid.

Didn't read.. give bullet points. I've never regularly done deadlifts but have deadlifted 302.5. I did it cos a strongman mate if mine had a 7 plate goal and I just wanted to beat him by a tiny washer on each end. 

I do them occasionally just cos... but honestly if it's core strength then doesn't heavy squatting cover all the same groups and if you're doing heavy bent rows you're hitting more specific areas of your back. Unless you're competing in pl or strongman and you have to do them I personally don't see the point. Unless it's to exercise your ego and you know.... hurt yourself. 

57 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Didn't read.. give bullet points. I've never regularly done deadlifts but have deadlifted 302.5. I did it cos a strongman mate if mine had a 7 plate goal and I just wanted to beat him by a tiny washer on each end. 

I do them occasionally just cos... but honestly if it's core strength then doesn't heavy squatting cover all the same groups and if you're doing heavy bent rows you're hitting more specific areas of your back. Unless you're competing in pl or strongman and you have to do them I personally don't see the point. Unless it's to exercise your ego and you know.... hurt yourself. 

I'm not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter but if I was stuck on an island by myself and could only do one exersise then I was choose deadlifts over squats or bench.