Texas Power Bars - Industrial Athletic

bensquat

Hey guys, new member here as some googling turned up a link to this forum. 

I'm a powerlifter from Chch, getting sick of the number 1 fitness bars and that crap. Looked at a Texas bar last year but didn't have the coin at the time. The tax man has given me a bonus this year and I'm keen to commit to one as is a mate. We have emailed Industrial Athletic and they said they don't order till they get around 8-10 preorders/ people interested. Obviously its just us two. We have looked high and low for the cheapest decent rogue/eleiko/texas/invanko etc bar but nothing has come up without huge shipping then getting taxed 150+ each from customs. Cheapest we have found is importing the two bars in one go @855 a bar. IA usually sold them about about 725-750 shipped to the South Island from memory.

Just wondering if anyone is interested, and whoever the mods are feel free to delete this post if its irrelevant or off topic.

Cheers

Hey bro, I may have met you at a comp maybe depending where u compete. I just emailed industrial today. I may be in the market for one just depends on funds. Solid strength equipment have a powerlifting bar, probably better than no1. But you do he to the stage where u just want to buy a bar once

http://solidstrengthequipment.co.nz/20kg-powerlifting-barbell/

Yeah mate I think I competed same day, 105 J. 

RE Solid Strength Bar. I talked to The Auckland Uni team and they have five of the bars. This was their response:

Hey Ben, will get more info for you, but for the most part the Solid Strength bars are of ok quality. They're not the worst but not at the level of a Texas Power Bar as you mention. It's knurling was fine for me but the issue was that the bars flex more than you'd expect. The collars also have a little play in them. 

At the end of the day they are a durable and affordable option, but not a true power bar. 

I've already broken the collar/sleeve on one bar, I'm at that point like you said to buy once buy right and it seems like the Solid Strength bar would be more of an upgrade but not that final purchase.

At least we might be at 3 emails out of 8-10 now.

I just sold my Tbp. It ain't that great bro. You wanna get a 29mm like the elieko or elieko replica. If you got the money but not the money for an elieko then The okie powerbar is the one you want. The knurling from the Texas bar is weak and comes off from being in a squat cage and being racked, unracked and rolled round into position. It's not that stiff either anything over 270 on your back and walking out becomes a bit wobbly. Probably don't make them like they used to... Like most things these days.

if you want an okie power bar pm me, they are the shit.

8 hours ago, Realtalk said:

I just sold my Tbp. It ain't that great bro. You wanna get a 29mm like the elieko or elieko replica. If you got the money but not the money for an elieko then The okie powerbar is the one you want. The knurling from the Texas bar is weak and comes off from being in a squat cage and being racked, unracked and rolled round into position. It's not that stiff either anything over 270 on your back and walking out becomes a bit wobbly. Probably don't make them like they used to... Like most things these days.

if you want an okie power bar pm me, they are the shit.

Good to know bro

Warren who owns Powerhouse told me he wanted one of these just the other day - should msg him on here but I forget his forum name lol

I used a texas dead lift bar over in Aus the other week personally my new favourite bar but we have to use an OKIE in gpc~ lol ( for dead lifts I'm talking )

I don't think that will work mate, Custom's shut that one off. Per their website: Gifts that exceed NZ$110 in value will attract duty and GST on the value amount over NZ$110. Bar is 550 AUD, I was looking at doing the same thing. With the Bar at 550 Aussie vs 265 USD the taxes are gonna be huge.

18 minutes ago, bensquat said:

I don't think that will work mate, Custom's shut that one off. Per their website: Gifts that exceed NZ$110 in value will attract duty and GST on the value amount over NZ$110. Bar is 550 AUD, I was looking at doing the same thing. With the Bar at 550 Aussie vs 265 USD the taxes are gonna be huge.

Can u say it's a certain value. I suppose all they have to do is look it up to see the value. That sucks

im in australia.

if anyone wants to get a bar shipped to me and then i repackage with a small value invoice (as if im selling it to you) and sent to nz, just let me know.

i wont charge anything long as it doesnt cost me anything (e.g. you pay shipping etc) 

inb4 maccaz runs fraud stolen barbell shop

i bought a barbell from Australia total cost including shipping was 1300nzd. The guy invoiced the bar and shipping for $240 total. Sent with DHL, I got it basically over night. And didn't get duty demanded. Only problem is insurance yeah. Pretty hard to loose a 7ft 25kg barbell though.

It works. I asked the company I bought my weightlifting shoes off to do it but they wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

240aud door to door I think I can't recall. Exchange rate fucked now. I bought my okie deadlift bar for $850 landed now it would cost me $1200

Yep, same with the USD. Back when I bough my belt and stuff I think it was aroiund 85c, now its like 67. Makes it bloody tough.